Which type of humor you like in your partner? | INFJ Forum

Which type of humor you like in your partner?

Which type of humor you like in your partner?

• Total voters

nocolaswhite

Apr 29, 2022
MBTI
‎Mediator
Affiliative, Self-Enhancing, Aggressive, and Self-Defeating humor are the four primary styles identified. Affiliative humor entails telling jokes, joking around, and utilising humor in other ways to make others like us. Self-enhancing humor is a type of coping humour in which you can laugh at yourself or at the absurdity of a situation and feel better as a result. Sarcasm, taunting, criticism, and ridicule are all characteristics of aggressive comedy. Attempting to make others like us by putting ourselves down is self-defeating humor. There are a lot more types of humor in the links below. See which category best describes your partner's sense of humour.

This has a huge list of types: https://humornama.com/featured/education/types-of-humor/
T
his youtube video helps you to understand them better:

See which category best describes your partner's sense of humour.

I think self-defeating humor is the one most used by my partner, followed by affiliative humor. Affiliative mostly occurs within the safety of our relationship.

I'd be curious what my partner would say about me. I usually have to announce my jokes with, "that was funny. Laugh." (<--self-defeating :smile:)

From the list provided, My Sweetie and I typically engage in:
  • wordplay
  • blue humor
  • witty humor
  • epigrammatic humor
  • highbrow humor
  • hyperbolic humor
  • deadpan humor / dry humor
  • dark/black/gallows humor
  • affiliative humor
  • self-enhancing humor
  • heritage humor
  • observational humor
  • anecdotal humor
atypically:
  • one-line joke humor
  • cringe humor
  • droll humor
  • satirical humor
  • mordant humor
  • topical humor
  • physical humor
  • farcical humor
  • parodic humor
  • inside humor
but never:
  • self-deprecating humor
  • lowbrow humor
  • ironic humor
  • situational humor
  • edgy humor
  • juvenile / sophomoric humor
  • bodily humor
  • aggressive humor
  • spoof
  • slapstick humor
  • silent humor
  • burlesque
  • surreal humor
  • improvisational humor
  • alternative humor
  • sketch
  • internet humor
  • screwball humor
  • stand-up
  • musical humor
  • ventriloquism
  • anti-humor
Cheers,
Ian

I'm an enjoyer of all forms of humor so long as it's good spirited
8f44bfc0df48440fe72f3a9b7d7ca056.jpg
25efc0a5f1d5e571c25ca5ae978a7fb4.jpg
18d6a88aae5a6f84af506a2b02e992fd.jpg

Self-enhancing is my favorite, I guess. I mean the ability to light-heartedly pick on oneself without showing a serious lack of self-esteem. I also enjoy wordplay and I'm fond of nihilist and doom humor.

I don't like humor that bullies others, punches down, or severely ridicules self. I am actively turned off by anyone bullying or punching down.

A big part of humor is understanding the room and using humor to connect with people. If you can't do either, don't tell the joke. Alienating or embarrassing yourself and your date/SO is not sexy.

Interesting!

In general I don't really relate humour to social statements that I make about myself, or the way others use them as social statements. I guess what I like is life-enhancing humour that adds a bit of a glow. and I like contrapuntal humour that turns on an unexpected metaphor for example. I also really admire people who can use it to defuse a difficult situation safely. I don't like humour that is used to establish social hierarchies in an unpleasant or bullying way, or to denigrate an argument without addressing the actual issues.

In the end though, it's as much about the way we tell them as it is about the content, isn't it?

20220503_092200_DxO4.jpg

As narcissistic as it sounds, I like a partner with a broad spectrum sense of humour, who can get my humour. I indulge more crass humour around other guys, and more gentle or flirty humour around women or mixed company.

In terms of expressed humour, I like women who have a sense of humour which is compatible with traditional femininity. (So nothing too crude, etc.).