Which type benefits most from therapy/counseling? | INFJ Forum

Which type benefits most from therapy/counseling?

Alice97

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 8, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Which MBTI type do you think benefits the most from therapy/counseling? I know there are some people who are really helped by it, and others who are not. It seems like most of the people I talk to think it's kind of a waste of time and didn't really help them.

I think every type does. It just depends on type and method of therapy. Also depends on the therapist's approach and personality.

Like [MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION] mentioned, I think every type can benefit from therapy. It really depends on an individual's personality aside from the stereotypical concepts which MBTI gives. There are a lot of things at play here, but I don't think someone's MBTI type is one of them.

Some people come out of therapy thinking it's amazing, others hate it. That has a lot to do with the therapist. Some therapists are simply not good and/or are in the profession just for the money. Other therapists aren't bad but may not be right for everyone. Also, sometimes people refuse to change or listen to the advice of their therapist. It's the therapist's job to help them (or rather to give them the proper "tools" to help themselves whilst being a support system for their endeavors), but they can only do so much.

My cousin who I like to note has been a paid Jungian analyst in the past has discussed something similar with me. He has had or still does to whatever extent I am not sure, issues he has dealt with through his life. He has seen many different types of mental health doctors of which he has told me were no help at all. He did say that whatever he was able to learn from studying Jung has actually been helpful to him. In his words, "I know that it works because it works."
Remembering that I am trying to relay this from a conversation a couple years ago.

So, I would have to come to the conclusion that just because you are seeking help from one place or another does not mean you will actually find something that helps you. All of these people will be more than happy to take your money if you know what I mean. So my question would be, if you seek help how will you know you are actually getting it?

I don't think the type matters, if someone has the need of help like counseling or therapy, it has nothing to do with type I believe.

I'm not educated enough about MBTI, but I think types that would benefit most tend to be less cynical and more open to authentic self-exploration.

The type that would benefit from therapy is the type that acknowleges that they need it.