Which is a better sacrifice - money or power? | INFJ Forum

Which is a better sacrifice - money or power?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Which is a better sacrifice - money or power? Why?

Would you rather sacrifice money or power for the interest/benefit of others?

Would you rather sacrifice money or power for your own self interest? Why?

Reactions: TinyBubbles
I'd say money. Isn't money just a type of power?

I assume you mean 'better' as in preferred, rather than greater.

I'd say money. Isn't money just a type of power?

I assume you mean 'better' as in preferred, rather than greater.

Well, it depends on how everyone defines "better"? Your preference for one would naturally indicate that you think one is better than the other in some way?

I suppose why I decided to state my assumption was I couldn't tell whether the one I'm picking was supposed to be the greater or lesser sacrifice.

In one sense, the better sacrifice is the one that is giving up more, because it means more. (e.g. God is more pleased by the sacrifice, so it's better)

In another sense, the better sacrifice is the one that is giving up less, because it means it does not cost as much for me to give of it.

Reactions: Trifoilum
I suppose why I decided to state my assumption was I couldn't tell whether the one I'm picking was supposed to be the greater or lesser sacrifice.

In one sense, the better sacrifice is the one that is giving up more, because it means more. (e.g. God is more pleased by the sacrifice, so it's better)

In another sense, the better sacrifice is the one that is giving up less, because it means it does not cost as much for me to give of it.
+1. Using your definition...

As far as 'physical' sacrifice were concerned, money would tend to make a better sacrifice.
While as far as 'non-physical' sacrifice were concerned, power would.
But on the other hand, money work better only in cases of short-term sacrifice. Power, imo, would work in longer terms.

about 'sacrifice'; what kind of sacrifice are we talking here, and to what extent?

I would say the better sacrifice would be that you hold the dearest.

Money is not the root of all evil.

Wouldn't you be able to get money if you had power? and so money would be a better sacrifice?

Wouldn't you be able to get money if you had power? and so money would be a better sacrifice?

And if you have money, aren't you capable of cultivating power via control?

And if you have money, aren't you capable of cultivating power via control?

Only in capitalist and money-driven places.

Money is not the root of all evil.
People tend to think that the bible says it is, but actually what is says is that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils.

Actually, I'm not sure about the Greek, but in Latin the word money does not appear. What it declares to be the root of all kinds of evils is Cupiditas, which is frequently associated with pecuniary greed but really has the broader meaning of desire.

Money is but a storage mechanism for trust, and an imperfect store at that. It becomes a problem only when this abstraction is made into a goal unto itself, instead of a mere means unto the end of helping oneself and others.

interesting responses. *ponders things*

I say, money is a better sacrifice because it is dependent on something material and perishable while power is transferable. By having someone's favor, you can have power and control over them or anything else even if you don't have money. Charm is a form of power, and when you know how to wield it you can get someone to give you favor or material possessions you wouldn't have access to otherwise.

People tend to think that the bible says it is, but actually what is says is that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils.

Actually, I'm not sure about the Greek, but in Latin the word money does not appear. What it declares to be the root of all kinds of evils is Cupiditas, which is frequently associated with pecuniary greed but really has the broader meaning of desire.

Money is but a storage mechanism for trust, and an imperfect store at that. It becomes a problem only when this abstraction is made into a goal unto itself, instead of a mere means unto the end of helping oneself and others.

I'm well educated in the latin language :)
The english language is questionable.

Last edited:
I know what it is to be powerless* and because of that knowing from experience, I would choose to give up power. It's "comfortable" because it is known.

Money? I dunno, I've been there too, and it sucked more (to me), believe it or not.

cheers,
Ian

*In the end, it wasn't true powerlessness because I still had my autonomy. I understood that exercising said autonomy could result in grievous consequences, so I didn't do so. That said, I still had it, regardless, so it wasn't real powerlessness, and I don't even know if that is possible for someone who is alive. :noidea:

Which is a better sacrifice - money or power? Why?

Would you rather sacrifice money or power for the interest/benefit of others?

Would you rather sacrifice money or power for your own self interest? Why?

1) Neither have any merit as a sacrifice, because neither belong to you in the first place.

2) whichever is necessary, give what you can not what you want.

3)I give up both

I'm not going to sacrifice them, I'd give them away gladly, because those things are a burden. But I would feel sorry for whoever wants and takes them. I've done it many times already, by the way.

i would sacrifice them both, readily. but if i had to choose, power.