Which do you prefer: Noise cancelling or Studio/"Purist" headphones? | INFJ Forum

Which do you prefer: Noise cancelling or Studio/"Purist" headphones?

The_Mysterious_Stranger

Community Member
Aug 12, 2016
A dream within a dream
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
146 so/sx
If you could only choose one over the other, would it be noise cancelling headphones (sacrificing audio quality, but blocking outside noise) or studio "purist" headphones? Why?

Reactions: Gaze
Only have experience with noise cancelling headphones but quality doesn't seem to be great. Would probably prefer studio headphones. I've been planning ot buy a good quality headphone/mic for a while but haven't really researched anything yet. But open to suggestions. I want to use it for audio recordings and narrations.

My favorite headphones are Sony MDR-7506 Studio headphones, but they do tend to be flat for general music listening. If you want something where the balance is nice for simple listening I'd personally go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x definitely nothing noise canceling though.

Studio purist

Interesting that noise-cancelling (e.g. Bose) generally tend to be more consumer focused in that they have the noise-cancelling technology and tend to be more comfortable / ergonomic, but the sound quality tends to be mediocre and they tend to be expensive / overpriced, while a lot of the studio headphones can be uncomfortable on the ears after a long period of time. I guess its a choice of would you rather have the kitchen sink geek headphone (e.g. Bose QC35) or a back-to-the-basics purist headphone (e.g. Sony MDR 7506)

Last edited:
My favorite headphones are Sony MDR-7506 Studio headphones, but they do tend to be flat for general music listening. If you want something where the balance is nice for simple listening I'd personally go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x definitely nothing noise canceling though.
I have some Sony MDR-7506. I liked them but my cat thought the cord is tasty...

Now I have CHC Silverados. They are not active noise cancelling but they have big metal cans that block out everything anyway. They sound good enough to me.

I've got a pair of top shelf in-ear Shure headphones that I just bought to celebrate a big achievement, the sound quality is amazing and I can't hear anything else when I'm listening to them.

I would never use noise canceling ones for music, only in situations like going on a long train ride or flight to listen to audio books or podcasts, for example.

I use the Sennheiser HD 555 studio headphones for music (currently discontinued, I believe). It's extremely comfortable and I can wear it for hours while hardly noticing it's there. I bought it refurbished for $60 probably...7 or so years ago, at least, and it's still working great, though I will probably upgrade to something better soon; likely another Sennheiser as they seem to be a well-rated brand overall.

Reactions: INFJ16
Studio, if I absolutely had to use headphones.

I don't like the claustrophobic sense of being in a recording studio with the performers. The unconsciously registered sounds of birds, and the occasional passing car put me at ease: I am at ease when I am at some level aware of my surroundings.