When was the last time you watch cerebrally challenging TV? | INFJ Forum

When was the last time you watch cerebrally challenging TV?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
And what was it?

I am watching Justice League, I recently got an Amazon Prime subscription and it's free to watch the entire series, a bunch of Batman and Spiderman series are free too, although I've got to say that its among some of the most cerebrally challenging TV I've seen in a while, I mean TV that makes you think and isnt simply chewing gum for the eyes.

That's a little different from cartoons when I was younger.

I'll give a couple of examples, in a spiderman cartoon in which Peter Parker is transported to an alternative reality in which Earth is a kind of Island of Dr Moreau, humans being the proles, animals evolved into humanoid types their superiors, there are questions about law and order and revolution, Spiderman needs to consider whether he will join or support the human resistance or merely "fight crime" while ignoring the structural injustices, he actually criticises their leader as sounding like "Trotsky". Carnage and Venom are featured but dont play a big role, although they exist as a possibility, Spiderman could occupy himself fighting the super villains and avoiding structural injustice or small time criminality.

In Justice League they discussed in an episode featuring the Green Lanterns how they "solved their lawer problem" by ruling that any lawyer failing to win a case will share the fate of their defendant, that alone was interesting and I was thinking about creating a thread about that, although the episode went on to investigate power and accountability, structural injustices or grievances translating into conspiracy and a frame up with the goal of bringing down the guardians, one ruling elite, an substituting another, the manhunters, a kind of robotic security force which polices the lantern core, the nature of the subordinates grievances is even sympathetically addressed, to a point (it is a cartoon aimed at kids I would guess).

I was surprised because this is not something I would have expected to find, then again perhaps adult programming is just about reinforcing popular prejudice, selling things etc. what do you think?

I watched Cosmos a few nights ago, I wouldnt call it "challenging" though. Stimulating would be a better word.

If your looking for animation that deals with very adult concepts I'd advise a look into avatar the last airbender and avatar the legend of Korra, both are excellent examples of kids cartoons handling very important topics.