What's Your Favorite Newspaper? | INFJ Forum

What's Your Favorite Newspaper?

writerinchief

Community Member
Nov 28, 2015
MBTI
INTP
I really don't want to study biology and learning the Krebs cycle for the third time in my life, though I never understood it the first two times, and this third time also looks like it's going to be fruitless, so I'm starting this thread.

What's your favorite newspaper, in terms of content and layout?

Personally, I like the New York Times for its content, but some of the front-page layouts make me sigh a little; I like the Wall Street Journal for of its layout, though I have to admit I rarely read it.

Santa Cruz County 'Good Times'. A local rag in Santa Cruz California that just lets you know everything that's happening in that awesome little artists community.

I really don't want to study biology and learning the Krebs cycle for the third time in my life, though I never understood it the first two times, and this third time also looks like it's going to be fruitless, so I'm starting this thread.

Personally, I like the New York Times for its content, but some of the front-page layouts make me sigh a little; I like the Wall Street Journal for of its layout, though I have to admit I rarely read it.

OMG, the vile Krebs. I had do this for the first time ever last semester. It really made me want to pull my hear out!
For newspapers I'll confess something fairly cringe-worthy: I usually can't stand the NY Times anymore (though I still read it for movie reviews sometimes). I get my actual newsish news from all kinds of sources. But my favorite newspaper to check daily is the ...UK Daily Mail. Yeah, very erudite, I know! But I love their stupid, illiterate headlines, all the gossip, the ridiculous comments, and in general the in depth coverage pertaining to who is who in a bikini the world over.

I like the Christian Science Monitor, even though it has a weird name.

Usually I just go to google news and open new tabs all over the place without looking at where I'm going and the CSM seemed good.

For newspapers I'll confess something fairly cringe-worthy: I usually can't stand the NY Times anymore (though I still read it for movie reviews sometimes). I get my actual newsish news from all kinds of sources. But my favorite newspaper to check daily is the ...UK Daily Mail. Yeah, very erudite, I know! But I love their stupid, illiterate headlines, all the gossip, the ridiculous comments, and in general the in depth coverage pertaining to who is who in a bikini the world over.

Nah, it's fine! I don't confess this usually, but my second news source would probably be Vogue, which is also pretty bad in terms of news coverage, like the UK Daily Mail.

What can I say? I like the pretty pictures.

The Independent but if I want to know the way things will be viewed by most people, The Washington Post or The New York Times.

Nah, it's fine! I don't confess this usually, but my second news source would probably be Vogue, which is also pretty bad in terms of news coverage, like the UK Daily Mail.

What can I say? I like the pretty pictures.

I'd also add The Guardian to the list of bad news coverage. Of course, you will understand the basic bare-bones detail of what goes on in the world, but in terms of analysis, you'll usually find a one-sided narrative. The Daily Mail is contemptible for its continuation of celebrity culture, I might add.

Reactions: PintoBean
Newspaper? Oooh yeeeah! I remember those thingies! As a kid I would use silly putty and press it up against my favorite comics to get an ink impression and stamp it all over mom's fridge. The best were always on Sundays, they were in color! :p

I get most of my news from online sources, but I do like The Washing Post for content and LA Times for local fare.

I grew up reading the Coloradoan (not with any regularity) which is a solid classic newspaper in its design and spread of content. They do a decent job of covering a wide variety of news, but not perfectly. Also used to read the New York Times and Wall Street Journal from time to time, especially while in college when I had full free access. My advisor in college said that if you read those two on a regular basis you'd be more informed than the vast majority of people and it's really quite true. I read all of this still sometimes but only online, not print. I try to get more news from outside the US these days.

I'm going to throw a bit of a curve at you here and say "The Economist." I realize that's not technically a "newspaper," but it is probably the single most intelligent publication you could ever read on a weekly basis. One of the things I love about it is that there are no "by lines" so you don't actually know the name of the person writing each article. I like it because it helps keep the Ego to a certain extent out of the writing and the reading. The result is that the analysis you're getting is about as non-biased as you're ever going to get. I like Paul Krugman of the times a lot, but you can tell he thinks he's smarter than everyone and he's out to try and prove it. There's also a lot of right wingers out there that would reject any analysis if they knew it came from Paul Krugman. With no by lines you're left with the argument and the facts of the article itself. Your personal opinion of the author can't impact your judgement.

Last edited: