[PAX] - What's the worst way to break up with someone? | INFJ Forum

[PAX] What's the worst way to break up with someone?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
I'm just curious. I've heard a lot of different things in this vein and I wanted to know exactly what the worst way there is to break up with someone is. Indifference? A huge raging fight?

Tell your break-up story and then lets see what the worst possible we can get is. Please, don't comment on other people's break-ups. Let's see what we come up with.

not sure if it qualifies as the worst, but texting a break up is pretty low.

Well the girl I dated in high school called me up on the phone one Sunday night after avoiding me all weekend. She told me she just wasn't feeling it anymore, and broke up on the phone after we'd been dating for nearly a year. It was out of the blue, but she had been seeing someone else on the side.

I guess it wasn't a terrible way to break up. It hurt my feelings that she did it over the phone knowing full well I had to sit next to her in English the next day, but we didn't throw plates or photo-albums out the window. While she was breaking up with me on the phone I abruptly hung up on her because I heard a woman crying for help. One of my elderly neighbors had fallen and hadn't been able to get up for hours so I scaled her back porch with another neighbor to break inside to help her. It was a good distraction from mah weepy heart. I remember the crowd that had gathered outside wanted to call the news stations so I could be on TV, and that's when I snuck away.

Of course my then ex-girlfriend would have probably actually believed my reason for hanging up on her.

When they've just moved to another country to be with you.
Like you couldn't do it before!?!?

Reactions: Jill Hives
Facebook

When your partner doesn't even bother telling you when they walk out of the door, it's for good. And you figure it out when they don't come back and don't get in touch.

This was about 4 years ago.
My ex and I were walking home from school the day before homecoming with a friend of mine.
He gave me a note breaking up with me, that he wrote in crayon on a scrap piece of paper.

The next day he started dating my friend.

Brightside=he didn't unecessarily draw it out, but the timing was BAD

An SMS break up is pretty darn low.. especially for a relationship that has been particularly long term.. A bad scenario would be being cheated on, and your partner is cheating on you with someone who you consider a close friend or family member.. That hurts.... I don't think it really matters how you look at a relationship break up, it will always hurt.
As for the methods of break up, using Facebook is particularly stupid. I have heard of people break up just by changing their status. That is pretty slack.. it shows low integrity..

Dissapearing without any notice. Even a text is at least some closure.

Though I don't condone any breakups without at least trying to sort out whatever problem there is.

The worst way for me was this kinda slow "we know this isn't working" but "I won't be the first one" to say something couple of weeks of Bleh. The worst part is that I was part of it.

The worst way for me was this kinda slow "we know this isn't working" but "I won't be the first one" to say something couple of weeks of Bleh. The worst part is that I was part of it.
Sorry to hear.. That is horrible. :pout:
I can relate to scenarios like that. It leaves you hanging, and doesn't offer any closure at all.. Slow break ups are terrible. They just continue to spiral down and get worse.. Hope things have looked up since then.. :)

Breaking up on Valentine's Day is/was particularly painful.

Breaking up because his mother doesn't like you is another reeeeally bad reason when you're almost engaged. :m194:

About three months ago a friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend by changing his Facebook status to single then just ignoring her.

As far as i know they still haven't spoken about it. He just avoided her until she got the message.

That's got to be one of the worst ways.

On a floating iceberd, sobbing as your icy partner sinks to the depths of the ocean on account of your heavy mass taking up the majority of said iceberg, having just escaped narrowly the sinking of an Irishmade ocean liner sunk by the BLOODY ENGLISH.

:)

Reactions: Questingpoet
On a floating iceberd, sobbing as your icy partner sinks to the depths of the ocean on account of your heavy mass taking up the majority of said iceberg, having just escaped narrowly the sinking of an Irishmade ocean liner sunk by the BLOODY ENGLISH.

:)

You realise it sunk because it was built badly right?

If I was feeling particularly mean, I'd send them on a seemingly romantic treasure hunt with the anticipation of finding something extra special, complete with obscure riddles and clues scattered haphazardly over a wide area of some significance to us as a couple... and then, once they jumped through all my cleverly placed hoops, I'd break the bad news with a sticky note and a really bad pun. Like, "Ex really does mark the spot" or something corny like that.

Why does hurting people you love make you feel so much better about yourself?

I'm totally not serious, by the by.

I agree with Chaz: the worse way to break up with someone is to disappear completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: bamf
text
note
Bff does it
Breaking up in front of family or friends

You realise it sunk because it was built badly right?

No, history clearly tells us that the tragedy occured due to negligence of the crew and not the designers.:}

About three months ago a friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend by changing his Facebook status to single then just ignoring her.

As far as i know they still haven't spoken about it. He just avoided her until she got the message.

That's got to be one of the worst ways.

ouch...

Drive to BF's house (30 min away), texting him that you are outside and would like wish him goodnight (after a week of not seeing each other due to school/his parents so he says and predending putting up an elaborate facade via text). He texts back saying how much of a creep you are, and that he's breaking up with you.

Then he says "I don't mean to do this over text, lets talk tomorrow". You hold him on it, turns out he just avoids you and continues to make up excuses to why he can't be responsible for himself, and next thing you know he's skipped town to spend his entire summer in virginia/Barbados with his loaded mother and acts like a douche when you confront him about it over text.

Not the worst I imagine, but a terrible way to break up with somone. You have to be a real immature moron to do the above in my eyes

Last edited: