"Whatever happened to associative learning"? | INFJ Forum

"Whatever happened to associative learning"?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

This is a topical area of great interest to me and my colleagues. We are in the process of developing a rather large educational resource that relies on an associative informational architecture. Basically, we began by asking two very fundamental questions "how do you know what you know?" and "how do we learn best?"

The answer to the first question is deceptively simple. We know what we know because we are able to create mental links or associations between concepts, sensory inputs, data, etc.with existing reference points. Simple enough.

What we might call traditional learning paradigms rely on a linear learning process or construct. Think in terms of a university text book. Chapter one lays out fundamental concepts, theories or basic building blocks. Chapter two builds on those building blocks and following chapters go into more detail about specific topics. For example, if you wanted to learn about a subject you might check out a library book and skim through chapters until you had a feel for the topic (developed enough associations)and then dig into a particular topic.

Today we live in a search and learn world. In short, we learn through sifting through a large volume of sources, taking in discreet or small amounts of information until we find something that meets our needs. As we go through this process we are able to construct larger meaning out of these small bites of information. There has been some meaningful research into this sort of search and learn process. Some have borrowed a term from manufacturing (just in time production) and applied a new twist by calling this process just-in-time learning. Just in time learning can be thought of as the acquisition of knowledge or skills as they are needed.

To support this sort of learning, information can be better organized by anticipating the sorts of questions or associations that a user/learner may have. Most internet content is still organized in a fairly linear fashion. News sites often include a few hyperlinks to related stories (associations), and while this is a start, it still fairly primitive. The primary reason that better information support does not take place is simply that it is very, very time consuming.

Now, the 2nd question "how do we learn best?" The short answer is through the use of newly acquired information and through exploration. The more senses that can be involved the better (think neuropathway stimulation). A prime example is learning a foreign language. Language learning requires memorization of vocabulary words, sentence structure/patterns,listening, repeating and practice. But in addition, exploration and experimentation is a critical part of the learning process.

At www.3DAuto.com we've incorporated the sort of associative learning process mentioned above through the extensive use of hyperlinking related terms, phrases and concepts. In addition, we have developed an extensive catalog of animations,3d models, interactive models, photos and video.

How does all of this apply and why is it important?
Well, let's assume that you want to learn about an automobile brake, or perhaps you think you may have a problem with the brake system. But let's assume you don't know much about a drum brake. Traditionally you might read a book, see a photo or an exploded diagram and from those references begin to understand how a drum brake works. From the descriptions and diagrams you could create a mental picture of how the drum brake assembly might work. But what if you could watch an animation of a drum brake in action? Perhaps it would be helpful if you could hold one in your hand or disassemble the brake assembly? Maybe you'd like to be able to look at a large photo gallery of various drum brake assemblies and individual parts. Perhaps it might also be helpful to read about the sort of problems that are most common with drum brakes or even see symptoms of problems....I think you get my point.

This is heavy lifting from a development perspective. It is extremely time consuming, exhausting and financially taxing. However, it is our shared belief that in the near future there will be a substantial divide emerge between the current generation of online information structure/learning processes and a much more user-centric model.

In closing, I think associative learning is going to have a big impact on how we all learn in the future. Associative learning creates a big umbrella under which a great deal of exploration, experimentation and development will take place.
http://geekswithblogs.net/hdevos/archive/2004/02/08/1926.aspx

Thoughts?

Sounds like 'associative learning' is inductive, which creates problems for things like computers. I really don't know what to say though; the entire issue I can tell is unfathomably complex. I am not even sure where to begin with it.

I'm kinda uncertain what this article is trying to say/argue other than that learning has changed, and thus our teaching styles need to change with it.

I'm kinda uncertain what this article is trying to say/argue other than that learning has changed, and thus our teaching styles need to change with it.

True.

But to the original post. My thoughts on this are the fact that learning (and teaching) needs to be updated. I agree with the part in the post when they talk about hyperlinking in order to link information which backs up or challenges the original information.

I will give an example that should outline my point pertaining to this subject as a whole though. In the intelligence community (think CIA and the such) there are many different ways to collect the information that someone wants BUT in between the collection and the person who wants the final understanding (called the "consumer", which in this case is the learner or student) of the subject is analysis. From what it sounds like, the person who wrote the original article, has found a way to analyze all of the information that is out there on the drum brake in order to give the learner what they need to know without having to search through this and that in order to get to what they need to know. However, the MAIN problem with this was stated in the original article. Money. Why? In the intelligence world, people understand that there is a need for analysis - a way to get all of the stuff that YOU want in order to make a decision. But in the world of teaching, there is no demand (think supply and demand), and certainly no job description for "Educational Analyst".

Two hypothetical reasons why this may be an issue are; one, text book companies. If you wish to start your own business based on this type of learning I wish you good luck. Business looks out for itself not for the welfare of the learner. The only way around this is to pitch this idea to one of those corporations and see if any bite.

Second, maybe someone out there in the education world has concluded that this sifting through countless text books and reference materials helps the learner to understand what is valuable and what is not, which certainly sounds like a great skill to have - analysis.