What parts of childhood innocence have you retained? | INFJ Forum

What parts of childhood innocence have you retained?

WellNoWonder

Peace Through Action
Dec 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Not sure where to put this. Also I will be rambling a bit, so excuse the drooling gibberish ahead of time.

In therapy, we talked quite a bit about how much I held/hold on to childhood pain. Some negative memories I have from 3-5 years of age have stuck with me and have been a part of the individual I am today. This may be true for most people.

Today, just thinking and shiznit, because I've been a bit withdrawn... decided to think of the flipside, the Positive side of childhood memories, and how we are influenced by these too. It seems that so much emphasis is placed on the negative (and possibly repressed memories) and how we are all screwed up somehow by them.

So....what part of your childhood innocence have you held onto into adult years? I'm specifically asking for traits of yours, a positive ones, that has been steadfast despite whatever trials and tribulations you've been through.

I'm still thinking of answers for myself, but I'd like to read about yalls' lives too, if you don't mind.

Peace

Hmmm... tough question.

Despite past circumstances, I have remained idealistic, and have retained my sense of fairness, empathy and trust in individuals, if not people in general. I'm still asking questions and am eager to learn everything (drove my parents crazy with why, how come, and how do you do this?). I also am still very creative and imaginative and like to play what-ifs, I still like big, affectionate hugs and smoochy kisses from everyone, and I keep my promises, pinky swear!

I'm still ridiculously idealistic, still an eager learner, still constantly questioning anything and everything.

And I blow bubbles ALL the time...and colour, and build things out of blocks and play dough.

My imagination. I would not be the person that I am today if I had gotten rid of my ability (and desire) to play pretend.

I resemble those posts ahead of me.

So....what part of your childhood innocence have you held onto into adult years? I'm specifically asking for traits of yours, a positive ones, that has been steadfast despite whatever trials and tribulations you've been through.

My parents tell a story about me when I was 2 yrs old. We were in Mexico, stopped at store/gasoline station, and I was left in the back seat. Mom said they heard voices of children and turned to see what the commotion was about. There I was, giving away my toys to children peering their heads in through the open windows of the car. I'd give a toy away - the child would laugh - then I would laugh and happily give another toy away to the next head poking in. Mom said they were furious with me...

I think I've been giving away "of myself" ever since to feel the joy - both from the receiver and my own at giving.

Another aspect of me that has never changed since birth is my love for horses. They are breathtaking creatures filled with grace and I stand in awe of them.
I loved animals then - still do now.
I hated the cages at the zoos and that has never left me. In fact, whenever I see any sentient being caged (even in their own mind) I feel sorrow.

I still giggle when I get hugs.

Reactions: aeon
Ever since I have been a child I cannot bear to emotionally hurt another. I think it's because I was lucky enough to grow up in a loving environment :) also one memory I haveof when I was little I was naughty and my dad got really angry at me, I think knowing that I made him angry made me... almost afraid, to do it again. Partly out of the fear of punishment but also out of the fact that I felt awful knowing it was me that caused such upset. Although that may seem a tad traumatic, it's not :p me and my dad are best friends! It's kinda weird but a slightly negative experience has caused a very positive aspect of me :) hope you found this interesting!

I have retained quite alot....a sense of wonder, basic kindness, a degree of goofiness, openness and trust. I'm in my third childhood actually.....much more fun than the first.

Reactions: Norwich
My immense curiosity and love for sweets. Oh... how I yearn for you, Duval

virginity, optimism, honesty, virginity, basic kindness, curiosity, and my second stomach for sweets...

I've really thought hard on this and I can't say I've retained any innocence from childhood. I don't think I was innocent for very long either. I'm assuming you are defining innocence as knowledge of guilt, sin and the world. My childhood was enjoyable despite not being shielded from the realities of how the world worked. Though, I think other aspects of my childhood have created problems for me in adulthood I have no bitterness or regret where it is concerned. They are just unfortunate facts of my life.

On the other hand, people say I haven't changed so now I'll have to start asking for opinions because this question really stumped me.

The ability to trust a stranger blindly and faithfully, and the innate belief that that everyone I meet is a good person unless proven horribly otherwise. I'm honest just as well, or at least that's what I've been told. That I don't do anything unless I believe in it, and that I'm open to trusting others with complete truths about myself, even if they'd normally be considered deep, dark and personal.

Imagination

Often don't realise/notice when women are coming on to me

Love of pranks/teasing

Ability to have simple fun - something most people I know don't have

Don't like doing household chores

Don't like dirty jokes

Animated films are great

Wish I could play with lego

Last edited:

I've retained my childhood enjoyment of animation and fantasy films. I may no longer have idealistic expectations from my reality, but I have a new outlet for it now, because I still like to see it in the fiction I entertain. Good triumphs over evil. The hero gets the girl. Everyone gets a happy ending. etc. I still watch Disney movies and am not ashamed of it :)

I've also retained my childhood willingness to cuddle with the people I share close relations with. I still hug my mom and dad; mom and I will still relax and lean into one another on the couch when we're watching a movie. Same goes for my best friends.

I also have a pretty immature sense of humor sometimes. I love to laugh.

Oh, and my relationship with and desire for junkfood... yep, it's still the same :)

good topic!

umm, I think my innocence about the world, impression of people - idealism, assuming the best. Imagining people being more than they are.

still a little naive

Last edited:
*imagination
*sense for adventure
*optimism almost to naivety

My childhood innocence is long-gone; it was taken from me such that none was left by the time I was five years of age.

That said, I am as the willow; I will bend, and I will sway to and fro; but I am not broken now, nor was I ever.

Yea, I wandered, wounded and lost, for a long, long time, all the while flagellating my person so as to cast out the “bad” of my nature. Yet, I was not bad — I only believed that because in the absence of understanding, or better said, given the understanding of a well-read five-year-old, it was one thing I could own by my own choice.

It took a journey beyond my self to know who I was, and in that knowledge, understand that I could choose my path.

Along the way, walking that path, I found some pleasure in the song of birds, and the bloom of flowers on the hillside. After some time, I came across a pond, and I looked at the sun and clouds reflected in the water.

A crow said “caw!,” and a gentle breeze caressed me as it erased the reflection from the water. The crow flew, and the water became still again, but this time, the reflection was of me.

And verily, I saw that while I no longer had my innocence, my nature was as it always had been. Which is to say, to experience the world with wonder. To look upon creation and know that my life, my being here is a gift, not despite what had happened to me, but because of it.

Namaste,
Ian