What makes an INFJ laugh? | INFJ Forum

What makes an INFJ laugh?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
What jokes make you laugh most? What kind of humour you appreciate most?
What situations or events you find funny?

Also:

How often do you laugh? are you reserved when you laugh, or do you laugh out loud with tears in your eyes?

Last edited:
Doesn't everyone have a unique sense of humor though? Does it really vary by type?

I mean are ENTPs more likely to laugh at or tell dirty jokes compared to INFJs?

Doesn't everyone have a unique sense of humor though? Does it really vary by type?

I mean are ENTPs more likely to laugh at or tell dirty jokes compared to INFJs?

Well that's what I was wondering.

Your answer doesn't have to comform to your type. Just give your personal answer as is. I'm just curious to see what's in common and what's not.

I wanted to call the thread "what makes you laugh", but that would make really general, and there are chances of derailing. I am more interested in the psychology of INFJs.

No offense to other types. :p

If it's analytical you want:

Typically I find things humorous when the joke is funny on multiple levels. Fart jokes and sex jokes rarely make me laugh, unless there is something else to them. I find myself laughing the most when the experience is shared. When I have been laughing to the point of tears it has always been when I am with another person and they get the joke as well.

I also find humorous synchronicities particularly entertaining. Like when my dad scheduled a doctor appointment on the same day as me, the hour before I scheduled mine. I thought it was hilarious, others just found it strange.

Edit: Also, the reason I find the Oreo picture so funny is because there is so much emphasis on the white part of the Oreo. People always talk about it and it is praised in the commercials, so not only is it a big F U to that whole idea, it's also hilarious that somebody spent all that time making it. Plus it's just awesome and I want to try it, as I'm sure any good Oreo lover would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odyne
British humor really tickles my fancy - sarcastic, or unassuming moments in life that deserve attention but don't get it are always the funniest things to me. Random things that pop out of nowhere tend to get my vote, for some reason. Think of it as those square pegs trying to fit into round hole moments. Inside jokes are definitely a good example of these.

I also like the macabre and dark stuff - my own mental images are what feeds into it; I make myself laugh, and life never fails to entertain me because of it.

I laugh way more often with other people than when I am alone.

I usually find irony the most hilarious. And just in general when I'm thinking, I usually see ironies everywhere.

Sarcasm's also pretty good.

Anything can make me laugh - depending on my mood :) Though, I rarely laugh very loudly.

I tend to laugh more on the inside and smile on the outside. I laugh out loud when I feel threatened, find something side splitting funny, or I've just discovered something very horrible.

I can appreciate all sorts of humor I guess, but every type of joke has its place. You don't tell granny a dirty joke as that is bad form, but if she comes out of nowhere and tells it to you then my sides feel like they will hurt for days. I guess that is why I find Betty White so damn funny. Much of my humor deals with macabre overreactions and some things that are purely situational.

Random, quirky observations about life. Saucy, inoffensive stuff. Tongue-in-cheek would-be-offensive-otherwise humour, childlike humour... and I tend to get caught up in people's emotions, so I also enjoy people who laugh at their own jokes. :D

yes random always gets me too. i remember a specific character on snl weekly update who was just spouting off funny sounding random names and i was in stitches. my sis laughed with me but i could see she didn't find it as funny as i did, and i can't really tell you why, it just tickles my funny bone.

I laugh way more often with other people than when I am alone.

I usually find irony the most hilarious. And just in general when I'm thinking, I usually see ironies everywhere.

Sarcasm's also pretty good.
^^

Conceptual humour: irony - especially when pointing it out leaves people completely comfused as to whether the motives for pointing it out are nasty or friendly.

Visual humour: the absurd - especially combined with utter surprise in any participant.
(This water-bed shop prank from Germany completely tickles me pink).
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19a73pvyfsI"]YouTube- Water Bed Prank[/ame]

I like subtle humor. Witty word plays, Freudian slips, repartee, irony, wisecracks, etc.

But then again, I sometimes find myself laughing at nonsense. Especially when someone builds up a situation that is either a humorous microcosm of or a satire on something else. Ne folks are my favourite for this reason; they usually have this brand of anecdotal humor.

Why?!! Oh why?!! Sheesh, I posted a reply earlier but for some reason it wouldn't upload it!! ARGH!! So, for the sake of time and my sanity since I don't feel like retyping everything, here it is in a nutshell: George Carlin, Mel Brookes, Madeline Kahn, Dave Chappelle, Eddie Izzard, Monty Python, the Daily Show, the Colbert Report, the Office, the Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy and a whole bunch of stuff that would take too long to write again, *sigh*

Irony and the unexpected/randomness. Shock works pretty well too, as in: "Oh, my, god, I can't believe he just said that!". All of those have to be harmless though, I don't take well to crude or offensive humour made at someone else's expense.

Many things make me laugh. I love physical comedy when the comedians are female (Lucille Ball, Ellen DeGeneres from her show "Ellen", "Laverne & Shirley"), I love old, old comedies ala 1920s/30s (Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, occasionally the Three Stooges), I like screwball comedies (especially if put in a modern(ish) format: "What's Up, Doc", "Foul Play"), I love British humor/dry/sarcastic humor if it's not harmful or hurtful to another person, I like watching animals react to strange things, funny sketch humor, and I love humor that makes me think (Carlin, Pryor, etc).

Pretty much I'll enjoy anything that isn't distasteful or sick humor, or gross-out humor, or adult-themed humor...but even those things have their place (I love Monty Python and fairly dark webcomics, and puns of all varieties are well-appreciated).

Reactions: Odyne
Well me and my sister (eNFj) have a pretty similar sense of humour, which the rest of our family don't get (all sensors). So maybe there is some correlation between types, or maybe Intuition vs. Sensing, or Feeling vs. Thinking?

Anyway, The Simpsons is my sense of humour all over, irony about real life and authority figures, the way they use comedy to question things, just brilliant. I don't like dark humour at all :noidea:.

EDIT - watched this yesterday and this is pretty funny:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It6xj40UVRM"]YouTube- Alex Day - Pokémon, What Happened To You?[/ame]

Last edited: