What makes a good book in your opinion? | INFJ Forum

What makes a good book in your opinion?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
It is possible that it's a matter of personal taste, but I'd like to see the different criteria that we can have.

How do you judge a book to be good or not?

A good book gives me a perspective of the world that I have never explored before. Also, it isn't filled with flowery descriptions of the environment.

for me. . it's a story I can get lost in. . one that takes me away from everything. .

One that allows me to take something out of it, and apply it to something useful to my life. That's why fiction books don't really appeal me, although there have been exceptions to this.

I judge a book to be good when I put it down and think that I'm glad I read it and it was worth killing a tree to create.

if i learn something

I originally thought it was content. The Fountainhead remains one of my favorite books due to the astounding insight that it offers in a fictional story. However, more and more it's honesty, and how personal it is. Books like Breakfast of Champions and Survivor have it in spades. No fronts, but an attempt to strip away that front that is so often played. An undermining of facade that most stories tend to uphold. God I love that!

Okay. I tried. I really, really, really, really tried...

THE COVER!!!

Whew, someone just had to say that.:m107:

THE COVER!!!

you're very brave. . and sadly, so true. . .

Reactions: Nixie

THE COVER!!!

This could, maybe, possibly, justify the existence of the Twilight series.

and bodice ripping romance novels with really handsome men on the cover--but not Fabio cause ewww

Reflection, if it gives
me something to think
about then I am content.
Moreso if when it's a thing
I'd have never considered
on my own. Reflection also
in the manner that it isn't
grotesquely distorted -
the Twilight series, i.e,
or those with superfluous
commentary on ineffectual
shrubbery. My preference is
fiction, as a sanctuary (and
good fiction properly reflects
people that act like people
instead of heroes
).

Characters. Honestly, if the book has a character I don't like, then why the hell would I waste my time reading about them?

Best part is, this applies to fiction and non-fiction as well.

Escapism - for creative writing
Novelty - for technical writing

Novelty is actually a form of escapism, but we won't tell anyone.

• Artistry and joy in the use of language

Truth that I can apply to my life. I can barely tolerate any sort of fiction, fantasy, or romance anymore... unless I get sucked in & care about the characters. I love biography's, autobiographies, some poetry (mostly of a dark nature, because that seems honest to me), some self help, textbooks on any subj. that interests me...