What life skills are undervalued but necessary for survival

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What life skills are undervalued but necessary for survival in our world today

Hmmm..life skills in today's world?

Having as many experiences as possible to build wisdom and as a result, a strong mind.

Though, I wouldn't necessarily call those skills.

Life skills in any time?

A balance of both mind and body. Many people in today's materialistic and mind-oriented society wouldn't be able to survive in the wild or in the past where tools do not exist to provide them the convenience of not straining the physical body. I'll explain this later if anyone wants. I honestly think the societies we see in movies like Idiocracy and WALL-E are very possible.

Reactions: kucala and Gaze
Independence/Individuality. People these days act like they can't do anything on their own. Most people these days are also too busy trying to fit in with the popular crowd to realize and understand what is most important to them

Reactions: Gaze
Independence/Individuality. People these days act like they can't do anything on their own. Most people these days are also too busy trying to fit in with the popular crowd to realize and understand what is most important to them

Isn't this because our society or world is based in some way on social conformism. I don't think it's that people don't think for themselves but that we are often expected to operate as part of a community or collective rather than as individuals in order to successfully navigate the world.

Reactions: Feelings
How to think. Most issues could be avoided with a light dose of logic and some genuine smiles. If you cannot think for yourself, you are a prison in your own mind and your life is not your own.

How to laugh. Life is far too short to keep your game face on all the time; learning to relax, especially incorporating this with some reflection, can be very productive.

When to stop. For the half-attempts and workaholics.

How to see others' point of view. Empathy, forgiveness, kindness, etc.

Reactions: endersgone and Gaze
How to think. Most issues could be avoided with a light dose of logic and some genuine smiles. If you cannot think for yourself, you are a prison in your own mind and your life is not your own.

Agree. I think being able to think through things and problem solve or come up with the answers without always going to technology or someone else first is part of the problem. Not thinking through things for ourselves is dumbing us down as a culture. We are not able to figure things out for ourselves as quickly because we are always depending on someone else for the answer. I think we are also taught to focus on multitasking, taking on too many tasks at once so we don't have the opportunity to think through things as much because we have less time to get things done.

Agree. I think being able to think through things and problem solve or come up with the answers without always going to technology or someone else first is part of the problem. Not thinking through things for ourselves is dumbing us down as a culture. We are not able to figure things out for ourselves as quickly because we are always depending on someone else for the answer. I think we are also taught to focus on multitasking, taking on too many tasks at once so we don't have the opportunity to think through things as much because we have less time to get things done.

DojLp.jpg

Reactions: Feelings

Interesting POV. I have always felt most people are individualistic to a fault in important things, but that people do go with the crowd on unimportant things like Jersey Shore and other frivolousness.

the skill of stopping, resting, doing nothing

+1000 ..invisible already explained it well.

How to laugh. Life is far too short to keep your game face on all the time; learning to relax, especially incorporating this with some reflection, can be very productive.

When to stop. For the half-attempts and workaholics.

How to see others' point of view. Empathy, forgiveness, kindness, etc.

Agree with all of these points! :nod:

Yes. Critical thinking skills have disappeared - at least in the US. I cannot tell you how many professors and professional friends of mine talk about how their students and clients have no real ability to use critical reasoning. You know the results from that: manipulation on a massive scale which is leading to more chaos and misery.

I'd like to add to all of the other excellent posts the fact these days most people are quick to place blame on others. Taking responsibility for one's actions seems to be disappearing as well. If one would take responsibility for their actions - then they'd take a bit of time to consider said act before doing it - right? It might cut down on the drama in people's lives....

Reactions: kucala and Gaze
Being able to deal with people and make concessions. If more people did it, it would be easier.

Reactions: Gaze
forest tracking/wilderness survival skills