[PAX] - What form(s) of psychic phenomena do you believe exist? | INFJ Forum

[PAX] What form(s) of psychic phenomena do you believe exist?

What form(s) of psychic phenomena do you believe exist?

• Astral Projection or Out-of-Body Experience

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Claircognizance, etc.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Psychometry or Clairsentience

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Precognition

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Retrocognition

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Distance Healing or Energy Therapy

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Medical Intuition

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Mediumship or Channeling

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Psychokinesis or Remote Influencing

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Telepathy or Telempathy

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

deivejek2|9

Community Member
Dec 21, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
I'm curious what forms of psychic phenomena people on the forums utilize themselves or believe exist in reality. It is not necessary to believe that these phenomena are "psychic" in nature. If you think they exist in any form (i.e., have a basis in science, psychology, etc.), please select them in the poll and clarify your selections if you feel compelled to do so.

I realize not every psychic ability is listed here, but I tried to include the most fundamental abilities, from which the majority of others originate. If I didn't mention your talent and it doesn't fit nicely into one of these categories, please share that with us in the comments.

Below are links to explanations of each individual phenomenon.

- Astral Projection or Out-of-Body Experience
- Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Claircognizance, etc.
- Psychometry or Clairsentience
- Precognition
- Retrocognition
- Distance Healing or Energy Therapy
- Medical Intuition
- Mediumship or Channeling
- Psychokinesis or Remote Influencing
- Telepathy or Telempathy

Last edited:
Reactions: jn56uytrx
Psychic?

None.

Though I do believe some of those phenomena exist via other, more rational means.

none of the above. We're walking through a maze in the dark
That's valid, of course. It's probably clear that I think differently, but not so differently that I don't understand where you're coming from. The few psychic abilities that I utilize or have experienced personally... I don't see them as supernatural or outside the realm of science.

Though I do believe some of those phenomena exist via other, more rational means.
I wanted to leave this open to interpretation, but now I feel I need to add that any understanding of these phenomena is acceptable, whether that be "psychic" or scientifically/psychologically based.

Although I've mentioned my beliefs in past threads, people who haven't read those might be surprised to know that I believe in very little, and what I do believe in is in line with your response. I'm actually having a tough time figuring out what I should select in the poll. :)

I have experienced none of them myself. I think a lot of phenomena can be explained through rational means but that doesn't mean I discount the experiences of others. It would be like challenging someone's religious belief for me.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
I'm a Christian, but I am also a skeptic. I enjoy watching master skeptic James Randi debunking psychics (you can watch him on youtube pwning people). I often believe that intuition (in cases such as foretelling the future, reading someone's mind etc.) is mistaken for psychic abilities. I don't believe that humans are capable of possessing supernatural powers unless they were obtained or given to them by supernatural means.

Humans = Natural
Psychic powers = Supernatural

Humans are not supernatural, therefore are not capable of having psychic powers by natural means, unless something with supernatural properties possess them. Hence not making their psychic powers their own.
Most psychics who claim to have psychic powers don't, they are usually either self deluded or con artists, anyone who says otherwise has a thing or two to learn.

Now, I don't disbelieve in spiritual gifts but they aren't what many people make them out to be. For an instance here are the spiritual gifts that Christians believe in (or should). Isaiah 11:2 - 11:3, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_gifts_of_the_Holy_Spirit

I'm a Christian, but I am also a skeptic.
Humans are not supernatural, therefore are not capable of having psychic powers by natural means, unless something with supernatural properties possess them. Hence not making their psychic powers their own.
Now, I don't disbelieve in spiritual gifts but they aren't what many people make them out to be. For an instance here are the spiritual gifts that Christians believe in (or should).
I'm not religious, but I do consider myself a skeptic. I think the difference between our points of view (which is minor, really) is that I don't see what I consider authentic psychic abilities to be supernatural. I see these phenomena as being part of each of us and available to us, and believe that these abilities will be explained in the future by modern science, physics, and/or psychology.

What you said about spiritual gifts is interesting. As someone who's intimately familiar with Christianity, I've often found it hard to identify the distinction made between spiritual gifts and psychic phenomena. I've encountered various Christians who think psychic abilities are bogus, but believe wholly in prophecy, the interpretation of tongues, turning staffs into snakes, and the parting of the Red Sea.

The confusion comes from knowing Christian psychics/intuitives who believe that they've received their gifts from Jehovah... while other Christians find the idea of psychic phenomena downright demonic. I've experienced a wide range of responses to the subject matter, within and outside of Christianity. A fair amount of hardcore skeptics are okay with certain forms of psychic phenomena when quantum theory and other factors are taken into account, and some devoted Christians find the existence of psychic abilities reasonable and acceptable.

Thanks for your response, Matariki.

Reactions: 894tt3h9
I've had several AP's/OBE's but they could be easily described as a very vivid dream that starts off with me on my bed. But still, the experience is absolutely amazing and so vivid.

I've had plenty of precognitive dreams that could be considered just a coincedence but I like to think that it is some sort of an outer connection and some of that information gets linked to me for a short period of time. It's a world of possibilities.

Theraputic touch just seems to be able to be described by mind games...If you think it will work when you go for such a session that increases the chances of you actually feeling something happening.

Medical intuitive just seems like a normal thing to me.

Mediumship is plausible. Again..I remain open to the possibilties.

Telepathy also seems very plausible.

Just remember where you are in the universe. All these things are possible to me. :p

which have you experienced?
I received extensive training in remote viewing from one of the soldiers who was part of the CIA's 'psychic spy' unit a while back. Before that, I spent nearly 20 years exploring every religion, spirituality, magical technique, whatever, that I encountered, and didn't find what I was looking for in any of them. Remote viewing just happened to be that thing for me that offered undeniable proof that there was something more than what I'd been lead to believe existed in reality. With that in mind, I wouldn't want anyone to accept the truth of remote viewing or any other psychic skill without having experienced it themselves.

It took me a bit to respond to your question for a few reasons. I wasn't sure if I wanted to be open about my experiences with remote viewing - mostly because I feel it's extremely misunderstood, and I didn't want people to think that I felt superior because I'd gone through training. I believe anyone is capable of learning and successfully using remote viewing (at least CRV/ERV).

I've also had a major shift recently in my understanding of the mechanics of remote viewing. I used to believe that I was connecting to an underlying current of information that was connected to and available to everyone. This may or may not be the case (I've given up thinking about it for the moment), but I understand now that this source (for me) is other people. I believe, for various reasons, that the process of remote viewing - in terms of how it works for me - is telepathic in nature, not clairvoyant. I'm connecting to other people, not seeing the past or future, not bilocating, not becoming one with something greater than myself, but receiving relevant data from other human beings.

I fought against this idea for a long time because it's fairly common knowledge that psychology has identified schizophrenics as those most likely to consider themselves telepathic. :) I'm comfortable saying, honestly, that I'm not schizophrenic, but I do believe in intuitive telepathy (the form that entails the reception of information from another person in the present).

As I said to chaz, I had a tough time choosing what to check in the poll. I ended up checking Psychometry/Clairsentience, Medical Intuition, and Telepathy/Telempathy. Based on the latest interpretation of my own psychic experiences, I've used clairsentience and telepathy on many occasions, and medical intuition seems possible to me for some reason. It's not something I've ever attempted, but it seems like it might be a natural extension of the two abilities I use regularly.

That leaves a whole lot of psychic phenomena that I don't currently have experience with. It would be hypocritical of me to state that I don't believe in the other 7-8 psychic functions when I'm admitting to belief in 2-3 of the others, so I won't. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, @Neuropedia. "Walking through a maze in the dark" - makes sense to me.

Reactions: Free Mind
none, but I have no dogmatic view against the possibility of some currently 'supernatural' phenomena to exist. but so far all claims I've seen were extremely unlikely.

So, people in Australia and Siberia don't believe in psychic phenomena. Got it. ;) haha

I believe all of them are possible. I don't see psychic phenomena as being supernatural. I see it as something any of us could tap into if we really wanted to. I think it is natural to us but we build all these walls with things like skepticism and rationality that keep us from our true nature.

What we see at as psychic phenomena, I see as being truly connected with the universe. Perhaps collective unconscious comes into that.

I think we don't really understand the potential that the human brain has and that perhaps our ancient ancestors may have had more of a handle on opening up to these sorts of things.

But I believe we are capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for. Perhaps because we spend so much time focused on the material world we have lost touch with the "psychic" world. We are so busy trying to prove and document every little thing, turning every idea into a concrete fact, that we've forgotten how to let go and connect with the universe.

I tend to believe in the "one mind" theory. One consciousness subjectively observing and experiencing itself through many hosts. Because of this I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to tap into some sort of "psychic" wavelength. If that is what one would call it. There are many ways to communicate.

I have never had an out of body experience without the assistance of a substance, but I definitely believe they are possible either way.

I'm not discounting that there is crap I don't understand. I'm keeping my tinfoil hat handy.

I think it is all possible, some of it is more common others very rare. I think there are lots of folks who believe they have witnessed or experienced these things who are mistaken.

Checked all of them. That being said, some of them I am innately less trusting of some of them and think that there are a lot of strong limitations within some of them.

I am a believer in Panpsychism which, very broadly speaking, argues that our conciousness is an epiphenomenal byproduct of physical reality. So I think certain "mental phenomena" is possible but I am not sure if you can directly influence things around you. They probably just happen.

To get me to believe in this stuff, you'd have to show me well designed, appropriately powered scientific studies (a plurality thereof) published in peer reviewed journals. Despite all the claims surrounding "psychic phenomena," I have yet to see such studies and, therefore, am not convinced. There is a certain irony associated with using technology such as computers and the internet to discuss unproven, basically imaginary ideas that are the stuff of dreams, not reality. Besides, fantastic as "psychic phenomena" may appear to be, string theory, quantum electrodynamics, multi-universes, higher order dimensions and other subjects of modern physics are even more weird, but more likely to be real.