What does your picture say about you? | INFJ Forum

What does your picture say about you?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

How much does a pic reflect you as a person?

What do you hope to communicate with your pics?

I'm asking because today we put so much importance on someone's picture to tell us who they are, and indirectly how we should relate our respond to them. It's normal for us to make assessments of people based on their pics but sometimes, we depend on pics so much that i wonder what do we miss by depending so much on a pic?

If you're talking about my avatar it represents a lot. My love for fantasy and dragons, the freedom I have. The freedom I desire. The imagination I have. Etc.

I hope to communicate with my pictures as if to say. "I love life." Or, something along the lines of that. Ha-ha.

I like your avatar Res. A light in the dark, simple, yet very effective. :)

Reactions: Gaze
It says that I am a normal person. Who likes statues. It does reflect me.

Last edited:
HOOOOWWWWWWWLLLLLLLL

My pictures say that I hate cameras. I dislike to be scrutinized in any way. They also say that I'm uncomfortable in groups and that my body and I are not a good match. In fact, I think there is a bit of an issue there between my brain and my body. I'm not sure how to explain it except to say my body language does not match what is happening in my mind. An example, I've been somewhat reclusive, as much as can be managed in the modern world. Anyway, I decided to meet an old friend at a restaurant because I thought I should reconnect and I missed seeing him. Well, at the end of the night I was compelled to apologize for not being my old self. "I know I was nervous and distracted. Sorry." That came as a surprise to him. He didn't detect anything out of the ordinary and really enjoyed the evening. Note, to self. Learn to keep mouth shut. It was a surprise to me because I was on edge the entire evening. How could it not have shown? This is what I see in photographs, a misalignment.

I have only one photograph of myself that I really like. It was taken when I was 17 by a professional. That photograph gives me a glimpse of what others claim to see in me. I don't know why that one is different. My baby photographs are good too. I looked like I was high on life and ready to debate although I couldn't speak.

People seem to like my photos but people also lie.

Last edited:
The only great and flattering pictures i've had are ones i've taken myself. Whenever anyone takes a pic of me, they suck. They don't think of angle, position, look, framing, etc. and then you have this awkward looking picture of yourself which is passed around to everyone. It annoyed me when people said, that's a nice pic when it really wasn't. ;p

I actually took my avatar pic myself. I was getting really annoyed with my old one from the winter, because it's Spring and I want to be reminded of the warmth and the exciting days to come. The picture didn't end up doing that exactly, but when I took this newest set of pics, I tried to get into the mindset that the camera wasn't there, or was no more threatening than a mirror. I wanted to portray how I look when I'm not trying to please anyone in particular. I think my avatar pic achieves that well. It's an expression I only have when I'm alone and unaffected by anyone. Also, I took it at sunset, and I absolutely love the glow and shadow of sunset.

I feel like most pictures of me taken over the years are good enough. I look at it from the perspective that that's just how I happened to be at the time. It's funny, but I can still vaguely remember what I was thinking about and feeling in all of my pictures (after age 3, of course). Who I was thinking about as the camera flashed. Like "Grandpa's going to appreciate it more if I pretend I'm reading for this picture," or "Why did I have to be so tall, I don't get to sit next to so and so in our class picture," or "I really don't like you right now because while you think it's 'cute' I think it's embarrassing..."
Nobody ever seems to understand what I was really feeling in these pictures, and they make up their stories and speculate, but I actually know what they really represent, and that's satisfying to me.

When I look at someone's picture, I try not to assume too much. I can't help but make assumptions, of course, but I remember that the picture only shows a glimpse of a moment. Who knows what's really on their minds, what's concerning them at the time? That's why I really love hearing the story behind a picture, because no matter how nice or horrible it turns out, it means something; increasingly so as time goes on and memories fade.

Reactions: Edith and Gaze
I'm almost with [MENTION=3710]kiu[/MENTION]; here. I rarely have my photo taken. Only because of the forum did I take some pictures with a borrowed camera--I don't own a camera. I generally dislike having photos taken and prefer not to see them. However, on the forum, I figure it gives a more complete and honest sense of who I am since this medium lacks social context. I think in general Ni people need those social cues and context when interacting with others. I pay no particular attention to the photos I use but generally speaking I dislike the overly smiley ones.

Reactions: Gaze and not sure
Well, my avatar really coincides with my respect, and similar personal struggles experienced by, and for the historical figure Cao Pi of Wei....he was the first "prince/ruler" of the Wei forces, and was skilled in martial arts and strategy, he had joined his father Cao Cao (consider to be in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel/Era to be the "Hero of Chaos") in battle since he was young....much pressure was on him to excel, and be a ruler of similar powerfully magnetic effect of his father; Cao Pi, who was quite ambitious, powerful, and intelligent wanted to create a land in his own image, which symbolized the fact that he was NOT his father....he didn't want to be confused with his father, and sought to stand apart from him, (yet respected him) and become his own man; he knew he FIRMLY had to be his own person....Cao Pi to me (despite his historically condescending, and arrogant portrayal) represents the old adage, "To thine own self, be true".....he knew he wasn't his father, and sought to constantly differentiate himself from, while still respecting his father.

Cao Pi's weapons of choice (the Royal Longsword and Sidesword in DW6:Special and DW6 Regular) represents the subtlety of his power, but the presence of his bearing ....he wasn't loud, or boisterous (I don't do well with people who think that being the LOUDEST is the best way to convince a person of something), yet he spoke in ways that chilled people, or warmed them....he was seemingly cold, yet he was believed to be EXCEEDINGLY sweet to his would-be wife, Zhen Ji, or "Lady Zhen".....

I respect him, and admire him for having the perseverance to rule a kingdom, and being so skilled at warfare....He in many ways, reflects my way-of-life....

Subtle, yet Present, Passionate, yet Cold, Mysterious, yet Well-known...the man is a lord, and a leader.

I'm a dreamer. I rarely feel connected to the here and now, to the mundane.

How much does a pic reflect you as a person?

I don't look like that, much less hair and all.

What do you hope to communicate with your pics?

It's really an ad for Waking Life. It is one of my favorite films.

Photos of me do not speak, thereby saying...nothing :p
funny :p

personally i didnt do much thinking about my avatar this time, my last one was a wolf hidden in a sheep skin to look desquised:p . it was a reference to my outward complection and the apearance i give of
being seperate from the actallity of what i am.

this one i suppose was refering to the EPIC-NESS of life :p:m027:

That I look pretty in aqua and purple, can sport a hula hoop well, and like laying on my side at night........

(P.s. my real picture is still back at my profile)

Mine was actually an album cover....I rolled it into a symmetrical ball. :D
It also symbolizes my love for music.