What Are Your Experiences With Exfp? | INFJ Forum

What Are Your Experiences With Exfp?

ClintonSr

Jul 8, 2016
MBTI
FJ
I've been thinking about my relationships to them and am beginning to find that our similarities are causing quite the distance. I know quite a few (about 5 ESFP and 8 ENFP) and I get along with 4 total. I know it depends on the person (not about types), maturity, and healthy person (or not), but I'm not a big fan of them. Great people to hang out but it's gets stressful to be around them after awhile.

What is your experiences with them and how do you handle Fi-Te?

*Edit for clarification

Last edited:
Other than having a great relationship with my ENFP son; adult close ENFP friends never worked out well for me. The root issue being introvert and wanting few quality friends .... and the extrovert spreading themselves thin and wanting many friends. Even though I put forth the effort, I began to feel forgotten because someone new and more exciting came along. That was many years ago. Now I just don't have expectation of anyone. They get what they give (for the most part) and I don't stress out about it.

Reactions: Gaze
My older brother's ENFP. And well, him being the older sibling, i donmt have a choice but to tolerate his presence lol (sorry i think i used a bad term) BUT if he wasn't my brother, i think i'll have a hard time connecting to him. Too extrovert, loves the crowd, loves attention. Too much for me.. Even the thought of him coming home overwhelms me ahahahaha

Reactions: Gaze
OK - well as I am splitting up with my ENTP ex currently I perhaps better steer away from commenting on ENTP's. In all fairness, I think it just depends on the individual and how well adjusted they are, as with all other types. I worked with a male ENTP at work and we really got on great, he was very aware of ENTP short comings and used to joke about his own. He was very entertaining, and really did have genuine empathy for others, which to me made him a much more successful manager, and decent person. He was a bit of 'ham' with his play acting etc, but was very engaging and funny.

I had to go on a training course at work that lasted several months, which was led by an older female ENFP. We'd had a minor run in at work years before and I was a little apprehensive. As soon as I got into the training room though I detected she was in some distress, she kept up a very firm demeanor though, but on a hunch I sat next to her. She looked a bit surprised. At work I had 'mis-typed' as INTJ and to be honest I thought it was close any way (though totally convinced it was INFJ) and I let it stand.

There was a strict rule about having mobile phones on silent (which I agreed with) and she explained she was going to have to break it, as her mother was ill. She said she might become upset or have to leave the room, but remained composed throughout. Talking later, it became apparent her mother had end stage cancer and was dying at home as per her wishes.

The training was non-technical leadership skills etc, and there were a lot of very highly stressed line managers struggling to cope with staffing issues. My personal view was that staffing cuts, HR policy changes, and the almost total removal of HR support for managers had caused the issues, and we just need to adjust to cope with that. The ENFP managed the group brilliantly, like a virtuoso performance. There were angry outbursts and tears at times from some. She coped amazingly and kept the whole thing on track, I did what I could to help and I discovered we had a shared love of Shakespeare. There were role plays etc and I think some of the staff learned a lot. I wasn't dismissive of it, but I had been a line manager for over 10 years beforehand so most of it was no shock or surprise to me.

ENTP's and ENFP's always seem to want to network - and I find that hard, unless it's to progress an issue rather than someones career. She was a local magistrate and privately she urged me to get involved in it, though we had quite different political views. Shortly after the course ended, her mother sadly died. She said her mother had tried to prepare her (she was an only child herself, married but with no children, which in itself was a very sad tale). She gave individual feedback to everyone after it, which was very detailed and sent to the senior managers.

She gave me simply (unmerited) stunning feedback which I felt was in quite large part due to the interactions we'd had, and her own personal situation. We didn't even get to the half way point of the course before she 'outed' me as an INFJ rather than INTJ. I just laughed when she did, I think I knew from the start she would.

It's amazing how people can surprise you, part way through the course I found out she was deeply involved in adult literacy work doing voluntary work. The only negative she gave me, was to say it was sometimes frustrating when the group were 'waiting for me to lead' and I was silent. She said that following group debate they were waiting and turning to me, as if for approval. I did know from the group dynamic that I was the oldest man in the room, though there were older women. Why especially mature confident older women do that I don't understand, it must be a cultural thing. The silence part was undoubtedly fair at times, but there had been a lot going on behind the scenes at work, she was unaware of, and that I was not going to tell her about with her personal problems.

So (very) long story short - I think ENFPs and (maybe..) ENTPs can be great provided they look at the 'weaknesses' part of mbti as well as the strengths. I suppose the same goes for INFJ's too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze and ClintonSr
Though neither are current, I had a best friend who was ENFP and a romantic partner who was ESFP, and they were both wonderful people to know.

The ENFP had a little “e,” and the ESFP had a little “S,” and so perhaps that had something to do with why this xNFP was so fond of their company.

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Gaze and James
Other than having a great relationship with my ENFP son; adult close ENFP friends never worked out well for me. The root issue being introvert and wanting few quality friends .... and the extrovert spreading themselves thin and wanting many friends. Even though I put forth the effort, I began to feel forgotten because someone new and more exciting came along. That was many years ago. Now I just don't have expectation of anyone. They get what they give (for the most part) and I don't stress out about it.

My concern is not with their extroversion by any means. We have our own close friends so my quality time with them is not a problem. I can handle their extroversion as much since I'm quite an outgoing person myself.

OK - well as I am splitting up with my ENTP ex currently I perhaps better steer away from commenting on ENTP's. In all fairness, I think it just depends on the individual and how well adjusted they are, as with all other types. I worked with a male ENTP at work and we really got on great, he was very aware of ENTP short comings and used to joke about his own. He was very entertaining, and really did have genuine empathy for others, which to me made him a much more successful manager, and decent person. He was a bit of 'ham' with his play acting etc, but was very engaging and funny.

Thank you for sharing your story. I understand it depends on the person because I get along well with people no matter what their background is. I find it interesting that ExFP are well known for their maturity in communication and tact, but it seems that they have a hard time looking outside of themselves. I have an ENFP friend who I consider to be mature (as an adult should be) but I'm not sure if it's emotional unhealthy or just childish. She's very reactive to ideas or people challenging her values (intentionally or unintentionally). She is extremely expressive when she feels wrong and doesn't seem to consider all possibilities when making external judgment. ENFP seems to make quick judgments.

Reactions: James