What are your board games, my dear INFJs? | INFJ Forum

What are your board games, my dear INFJs?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
I'm a heavy board gamer. In recent years, board gaming has undergone a sort of 'revolution' in depth and fun. New games come out all the time with surprisingly, fresh mechanics and playing takes only an hour or so for most of them. They're no longer the great, empty, boring time sinks like Monopoly.

Nowadays, you get awesome things like Devastation of Indines, which is basically a 2D fighter in the vein of StreetFighter or Mortal Kombat except with cards. It's easy to learn and easy to play. I'm a huge fan of a slightly heavier game like Mage Knight, but I'm always glad to pull out some goofy fluff like Blurble.

Everybody has heard of Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin, and Settlers of Catan. Those are kinda 'entry' games. Lets hear the heavier stuff!

For those of you who've gotten into the hobby, what are some of your faves? Are you a Euro player or Ameritrash? High strategy or high luck? Social games or multi-hour games?

Hello!

For board games I like Settlers of Catan, Chess, and a few other other more old school games. I used to be a big Risk player, but I've since retired since that game can easily turn friendships into full blown wars (and waste hours of time in the process haha).

Happy gaming!

[MENTION=13357]SeanSquared[/MENTION] your comment about Risk brought back bad memories. Gah!

I don't play much anymore but when I do, I still like Trivial Pursuit because it requires knowledge. Chess is fantastic if I have a worthy opponent. If not, I always throw the game to make the other person feel like they didn't lose too quickly.

I'm a heavy board gamer. In recent years, board gaming has undergone a sort of 'revolution' in depth and fun. New games come out all the time with surprisingly, fresh mechanics and playing takes only an hour or so for most of them. They're no longer the great, empty, boring time sinks like Monopoly.

Nowadays, you get awesome things like Devastation of Indines, which is basically a 2D fighter in the vein of StreetFighter or Mortal Kombat except with cards. It's easy to learn and easy to play. I'm a huge fan of a slightly heavier game like Mage Knight, but I'm always glad to pull out some goofy fluff like Blurble.

Everybody has heard of Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin, and Settlers of Catan. Those are kinda 'entry' games. Lets hear the heavier stuff!

For those of you who've gotten into the hobby, what are some of your faves? Are you a Euro player or Ameritrash? High strategy or high luck? Social games or multi-hour games?

Hey, I like monopoly. Some of my fondest memories involve cheating and lying my way to victory in that game.

I enjoy Dungeons & Dragons. Usually play either AD&D or 3.5, but with the fifth edition out I might try to set up some games. The Battlestar Gallacta game is a lot of fun, where there's one player as the cylon, trying to sabotage the ship and the rest trying to figure out who that is before the ship is destroyed. There's a lot of paranoia and accusations, but in a fun way.

I learned checkers, chinese checkers, chess, monopoly, game of life, payday, scrabble, ludo, pictionary, etc. Would love to learn how to play chess like a pro but not sure if that'll happen. I enjoyed playing chutes and ladders as a child. Never much a fan of monopoly. Scrabble is a favorite.

I have always enjoyed Apples to Apples which is like the polite grandfather of Cards Against Humanity.

Also recently been playing Tsuro which is super easy to learn. Very casual but can involve a good amount of strategy.

I've spent a fair number of hours at Games Workshop, HobbyTown and any other derivative of the sort.

I haven't played a board game in quite some time. Mouse Trap, Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Pictionary, Checkers, Battleship, and Monopoly were childhood favorites. I think Taboo, Scrabble, and Boggle would be my current favorites. I tend to get impatient with board games; they involve too much sitting still and I prefer doing more active things.

To me, board games are mostly just an activity I've done to hang out with friends/family... so not really because I particularly like the board games themselves but because I enjoy the company. It's the people that make them fun.

I higly recommend Carcassonne.
carcassonne2.jpg

Other board games I enjoy:

Chess
Backgammon
Cluedo
Settlers
Risk
Powergrid
Terra Mystica

Mahjong, Shogi, Koi Koi, Yahtzee and Chess.

Mostly mahjong though.

[video=youtube;FJ-Pd7oUGmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-Pd7oUGmc[/video]

I just played Life with my family. It's different from how I remember it growing up, but it was still a lot of fun. The look on my husband's and kid's faces when I declared quite proudly that I wasn't going to get married and have kids.... BAHAHAHAHAAAA! Afterwards I got my ass handed to me by my husband playing Chess, but I find it a bit boring. Maybe if I took more interest in the game I could develop greater strategy. Cards Against Humanity is so much fun but I refuse to play it with the kids. I'm going to have to check out Apples to Apples. I see, now that I've Googled it, that they have a kids version of it too! Gotta give thanks to [MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION] for this one! :D Anyway, I'm glad board games are coming back. It's good one on one time with those strange little creatures taking up space in your home.

Reactions: Wyote
I think it is sad that there are only two real mahjong games on Steam:

Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle
and....

Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle: School Girls Edition

[MENTION=13723]Misadventure[/MENTION]
Let me come live with you so I can convert everyone - I mean teach everyone how to play Mahjong.

Thanks for bumping this thread, [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION].

I love board games. Personally I'm a cribbage fan. I could play that shit all day.

Love any of the classics though - chess, backgammon, risk, scrabble... One-on-one strategy games tend to be my favorite. Never been a huge Monopoly fan.

I've played Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, Killer Bunnies, Quelf, Ticket to Ride, Cranium, Pictionary, Smart Ass, Partini, Munchkins... I'm sure many others, but those are top of mind.

Here's a rather recent game night involving Game of Thrones Risk:

image.jpg

Reactions: invisible
I think it is sad that there are only two real mahjong games on Steam:

Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle
and....

Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle: School Girls Edition

[MENTION=13723]Misadventure[/MENTION]
Let me come live with you so I can convert everyone - I mean teach everyone how to play Mahjong.

Come right on over! Then we'll go invade [MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] 's new home and patiently await [MENTION=5511]ruji[/MENTION] 's move to the Pacific Northwest. Waifus Unite!!! I really do want to learn Mahjong, though. :D