Were you difficult as a teen? | INFJ Forum

Were you difficult as a teen?

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
As I see my little brother turning into a full-size teen, I can't help but notice how much I hate teenagers. Now tell me, were you a difficult person when you were at that age?

I don't know, am I difficult?

I don't think I was. I never really looked for trouble, caused trouble, never really went through that testosterone-fueled phase of rebellion that teenage boys usually do... yet again, I'm still 18 XD

No. I even helped my parents finish their home improvement projects (mostly because it bugged the hell out of me when they left them unfinished). Didn't drink, didn't go out late, didn't back talk. Pretty much left alone. Most of the conversations I had with my parents were about current events, politics, culture, and local government. As long as they didn't pry into my school life too much I didn't mind (not that I had anything bad to hide) my parents. They always treated my brother and I like we were adults so I reciprocated that.

I was exceptionally difficult. Generally I was good with everyone except for my family. I was very quick to anger, very resentful and I would blow up at the tiniest thing. It lasted a couple of years before I cooled off. But I was never the type to get into trouble or anything. I was just a ticking time bomb emotionally.

I think I was difficult by biological construction, well-meaning in intention. I had a BAD temper.... no, more than that, I was an angry teen - but I always wanted to be kind and helpful. Sometimes my disposition/emotions won, sometimes my intentions.

Yes and I did it on purpose. I would mess with my sister some times she just asked for it. Being a teenage boy put a lot of energy into me. I was always on the go. Maybe your bro needs a hobby to keep his mind busy. Something to put his testosterone fed teenage years into. For me it was bmx and photography. Still doing both some thirty years later...

I do lovers myself an angry, emotional rollercoaster teen. Especially if they are schizophrenic.

I couldn't even be a teen with my screwed up parent. I spent four years of high school living like a dead person. So no, I wasn't difficult. I was barely even living.

I never caused any trouble, followed most of the rules, and never talked back...so no I wasn't difficult in that regards. Alternately my father told me later that he about lost his damn mind because he couldn't get a word out of me and eventually he gave up in hopes that I would talk to him when I was ready. We started talking a few years after high school, in retrospect it took quite awhile before I could make sense and translate everything that I was thinking and feeling in some cohesive manor.

not realy

Think I've evolved quite a bit. An immature INTJ is a bitch to deal with. I was one, and have talked to some. INTJs are naturally talented analysts. Very seldom nowadays am I tempted to argue something down to the wire. I'm more interested in simply figuring things out, from a more neutral position. When I was younger though, I would more often argue what I wanted to be true for whatever reason. It's VERY difficult to prove an INTJ wrong in a debate, because they are so incredibly analytical, it takes a LOT of brainwork to unwind and devalidate their logic. The worst part is that an immature or rather emotionally unaware INTJ will not even realize what they are doing, and essentially be delusional and stubborn.

Reactions: corvidae
I wasn't difficult in a way that I asked for a lot of attention, caused conflict or did crazy stuff. I was more of the exact opposite, but I think my family would describe me as a difficult teenager because of that. I kept very much to myself most of the time. And I'd say that for the most part my behaviour resulted from their complete lack of understanding of how to interact with me during what was a very difficult period in my life. The result was that I finally shut myself off completely and stopped communication with them, very much to my parents frustration. But at the time, it was the only way I could behave around them without making things worse for myself, and them.

As a teenager, I wasn't difficult. I was very easy to get along with, and affable to anyone and everyone. I played by the rules, especially when they had good intentions behind them, and was usually the one kid in the group that kept everyone else out of trouble. However, I was very much my own person, and assumed I should have the right to be because I afforded it to everyone else. If I was difficult, it was because I had a tendency to stay up all night, roam around as I saw fit (even though I was never into anything bad), and would voice my opinions as if I were an adult and an equal to those around me. I wasn't into drugs, crime, or anything of the sort really, went very far out of my way to stay out of fights unless there was no way to avoid them - at which point I did hospitalize a few kids. I wasn't especially sexually active, despite my unusual desire for romance and and a relationship. Nope, aside from being a self aware near grown up from an early age, I was actually a really good kid who lived a lot by the 'shoulds' of life.

I didn't really start being 'wild' until in my later 20s.

I wasn't difficult, but, for me, life was difficult. It was a time full of turmoil, especially when I went through puberty.

I spent most of my teen years isolated and involved in my own projects and ideas. I didnt feel like I could talk to anyone about much, and I wasnt talking to my family, they were idiots. I guess I was pretty difficult in that I wasnt "normal" but I did my homework and made sure my obligations were set, just to keep people off my back. Lot of strange emotions at that time.

Most of my teenage years were spent in a spiral of neuroticism, anxiety issues and depression. But I pretty much never left the house so I never really had the opportunity to get into any trouble, and I mostly kept quiet about my problems, so in that respect I was actually pretty easy to live with.

Yes i was difficult and negative minded. Had lot of bad habits.

Well, starting at about the age 15, I wasn't really home. I stayed home for about a year during my 16-17 years, but other than that, I was (am) always moving around for the sake of academia. I wasn't really difficult at all, in either case -- I mean, I respected my parents, and even did a lot to make them proud. But, they're both smart, ENFJ and INTJ (so they understand my ENTJ sister and I more naturally), and don't take any shit. That made it easy.

But I think I was obnoxious in my pre-teen and younger teen years. Not difficult, just a little annoying. But then again, everyone at that age is. Honestly, I can stand middle-schoolers.