War on Iraq ''officially'' over. | INFJ Forum

War on Iraq ''officially'' over.

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Washington (CNN) -- Almost seven and a half years ago, President George W. Bush launched a blistering "shock and awe" invasion of Iraq.
The goal: eliminate a perceived threat of weapons of mass destruction while replacing a hostile, tyrannical regime with a friendly democracy in the heart of the Middle East.
On Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET -- at a cost of more than 4,400 U.S. military personnel killed and 30,000 wounded -- America's combat mission in Iraq will officially draw to a close.
The quick removal of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein ushered in years of grinding sectarian violence, war, terrorist attacks and, according to some observers, increased Iranian influence in the region. But it also paved the way for nationwide elections and increasing economic development.
Whether the war was worth the price remains a subject of fierce debate both at home and abroad.
President Barack Obama, who based much of his campaign for the White House on growing public exhaustion with the conflict, will announce the conclusion of the combat mission in a speech to be delivered from the Oval Office at 8 p.m. ET. He spent the day meeting with troops at Fort Bliss, Texas -- a base which has supplied soldiers at all stages of the conflict.
Obama called Bush for a "few minutes" from Air Force One while en route to Texas, according to White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton. The White House has not said if Obama will give Bush any credit during his speech for the controversial 2007-08 military "surge," believed by some observers to have helped curtail Iraqi violence.
His remarks are "not going to be a victory lap," Obama told the troops stationed at Fort Bliss. "We still have a lot of work to do."
Obama said his main message will be a simple one to military veterans of the conflict: "Congratulations on a job well done."
Ben Rhodes, a presidential foreign policy speech writer, told reporters Obama's remarks will focus on -- among other things -- the responsibilities of Iraqi leaders moving forward, as well as the new partnership between the United States and Iraq.
Obama will also discuss the refocusing of U.S. resources in the global fight against al Qaeda, as well as the heightened U.S. military presence in Afghanistan, Rhodes said.
Vice President Joe Biden, who once advocated splitting Iraq along largely ethnic lines, is in Baghdad, Iraq, for the transition. He will also help mark Wednesday's transfer of U.S. military command there from Army Gen. Ray Odierno to Army Lt. Gen. Lloyd Austin.
While the official U.S. combat mission is ending, roughly 50,000 American troops will remain in the country until the end of 2011. Their mission will be to will train, assist and advise the Iraqis.
As the U.S. military has been scaling down, the U.S. civilian presence has been ramping up. Iraqi officials are struggling to form a new ruling coalition in the wake of last March's closely contested national elections.
And while Obama administration officials have touted what they claim is a gradual decline in the overall level of violence in Iraq, the country has recently been the target of a series of attacks.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki warned last Friday of the likelihood of continuing attacks across the country. His warning came two days after a wave of 20 bomb attacks struck 13 Iraqi cities, mostly targeting police. The bombs killed 48 and wounded at least 286.
Al-Maliki said there were indications that "al Qaeda and remnants of (Saddam Hussein's) Baath party with foreign backing are planning to carry out a series of bombings in Baghdad and the other provinces."
The attacks -- a show of force for the insurgency -- have increased fears among Iraqis about the ability of their security forces to protect them after the U.S. withdrawal.
But Biden on Tuesday suggested that reports of increased violence in Iraq have been exaggerated by the media.
"Notwithstanding what the national press says about increased violence, the truth is things are still very much different," he told reporters while meeting with al-Maliki. "Things are much safer."
Biden called recent terrorist attempts "dismal."
For his part, the Iraqi prime minister marked the occasion on Tuesday with a national address proclaiming his country "sovereign and independent."
Like Biden, al-Maliki insisted there had been major strides in Iraqi security.
"If these security achievements were not real, we would not have been able to move to executing the bigger and more important step, which is the withdrawal of American forces that is happening today," he said.
"We do not view the withdrawal as an accomplishment of one person, or one party or one sect or one ethnicity; it is an achievement for all Iraqis. ... And it represents a golden opportunity to strengthen national unity and a starting point to build Iraq after decades of destruction and suffering."
Top Republicans were loath to give the Obama White House any credit for Tuesday's milestone.
House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in a speech delivered Tuesday to the American Legion in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, that the day "belongs to our troops."
In a thinly veiled slap at Obama, Boehner said that "some leaders who opposed, criticized, and fought tooth-and-nail to stop the surge strategy now proudly claim credit for the results."
At a speech in his home state of Kentucky, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell was more direct in his criticism.
"You might recall that the surge wasn't very popular when it was announced. You might also recall that one of its biggest critics was the current president," McConnell said.
"So it makes it easier to talk about fulfilling a campaign promise to wind down our operations in Iraq when the previous administration signs the security agreement with Iraq to end our overall presence there."
Defense Secretary Robert Gates, a holdover from the Bush administration, asserted during a speech Tuesday to the American Legion that, despite the recent spate of attacks in Iraq, "overall levels of violence this year remain at their lowest point since the beginning of the war in 2003."
"Al Qaeda in Iraq has been largely cut off from its masters abroad."
But Gates stressed that he was not "saying that all is, or necessarily will be, well in Iraq."
"Sectarian tensions remain a fact of life. Al-Qaeda in Iraq is beaten, but not gone. This is not a time for premature victory parades or self-congratulation," he said.

Apparently the war is set to be ''officially over'' by 5 PM today, in which Obama will give a speech. They state there are still major conflicts in Iraq(well of course). What is your opinion on the validity of this? do you think there was any sort of convenience of ending this war at this time?. I am just glad its supposedly over as of now, this war was unneeded and hurtful to many.

Apparently the war is set to be ''officially over'' by 5 PM today, in which Obama will give a speech. They state there are still major conflicts in Iraq(well of course). What is your opinion on the validity of this? do you think there was any sort of convenience of ending this war at this time?. I am just glad its supposedly over as of now, this war was unneeded and hurtful to many.

The war may have been unneeded but there are several innocent people I met trapped in torture chambers for which the war proved beneficial.

Does over mean we get to pull the troops out? I wonder if Obama will share credit for this with Bush, considering that he labeled it "Bush war" all the way up to this. I am guessing he wont share any credit even though he didnt do anything.

Does over mean we get to pull the troops out? I wonder if Obama will share credit for this with Bush, considering that he labeled it "Bush war" all the way up to this. I am guessing he wont share any credit even though he didnt do anything.

Obama says around 50,000 will remain until early 2011. He states however, that they will not be set for combating purposes but mainly helping Iraq and advising the people leading it.

Troops have been returning without being replaced already. However we are leaving several thousand "advisors" there.

So I guess it is over in the same way that the Korean War is over.

Last edited:
Obama says around 50,000 will remain until early 2011. He states however, that they will not be set for combating purposes but mainly helping Iraq and advising the people leading it.
Kind of like the military "advisors" in Vietnam.

Troops have been returning without being replaced already. However we are leaving several thousand "advisors" there.

So I guess it is over in the same way that the Korean War is over.
haha I replied before i read your reply, we are agreement on this, Bush had his mission accomplished moment, lets hope Obama gets his too.

Oh, I am sure Obama will take credit.
The Dems are running against Bush again in this year's mid term elections after all.
Both parties have the blood of this war on their hands.

First of all *cheers*. This whole war has brought a lot of shame to America, I am thankful it is finally ending. It sounds like the war in Afghanistan is still going strong.

This was only a symbolic end to the Iraq war. All troops are out by the end of next year according to the below article:

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre67u1ij-us-iraq/

Foreign Minister Hoshiyar Zebari warned Iraq's neighbors against interfering as U.S. troops withdraw by an end-2011 deadline set out in a bilateral security pact.

Obama talked to Bush on the phone already so it is obvious he will mention him in the speech he will make tonight. As for the end of the war, they have gone to great pains NOt to say that the war is over, just that combat operations have officially ceased.

He does not want to have another Mission accomplished Bush the idiot moment.

this war was atrocious, and the torture that went along with it was unnaceptable. Americans have values that are supposed to exceed the values of those we oppose.

We lost the war the minute we tortured someone because we gave up our values for revenge, nothing more. It has been proven that torture leads to NO credible information. Cheney swore that one day he would reveal what was learned, but has onever done so.

A war built on a lie, debased american values by our own actions ordered by the C-in-C, and billed to the world as a hunt for Al Qaeda, has accomplished nothing.

Sad sad day for america.

Obama talked to Bush on the phone already so it is obvious he will mention him in the speech he will make tonight. As for the end of the war, they have gone to great pains NOt to say that the war is over, just that combat operations have officially ceased.

He does not want to have another Mission accomplished Bush the idiot moment.

this war was atrocious, and the torture that went along with it was unnaceptable. Americans have values that are supposed to exceed the values of those we oppose.

We lost the war the minute we tortured someone because we gave up our values for revenge, nothing more. It has been proven that torture leads to NO credible information. Cheney swore that one day he would reveal what was learned, but has onever done so.

A war built on a lie, debased american values by our own actions ordered by the C-in-C, and billed to the world as a hunt for Al Qaeda, has accomplished nothing.

Sad sad day for america.

How is it a sad day to be putting an end to that?

How is it a sad day to be putting an end to that?

its a sad day that it existed, that we have had to go through this entire process, and as you can read from all the stuff written above, that the spin wars will be endless.

Boehner has already pre empted the presidents speech by an hour to take credit for the victory.

All that death and tonight it will culminate in who can score the most political points from it instead of just honoring the fallen, and moving america past a dark part of our soon to be history.

"It's not over till the fish jumps", I doubt this will be the end. Even if the war ends officially, I for see ongoing conflicts involving the US soldiers for years to come.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

switch.gif
- press to start war. press again to stop war.

Actually, it made quite a bit of money for people that don't have any sense of moral obligation.

Actually, it made quite a bit of money for people that don't have any sense of moral obligation.

agreed on that count. It always surprises people when they are reminded that the US military is the leading global consumer of oil, and it constantly fights wars to continue its addiction.

agreed on that count. It always surprises people when they are reminded that the US military is the leading global consumer of oil, and it constantly fights wars to continue its addiction.

Don't forget the opportunities not only for rebuilding what was destroyed but also the services rendered to defense contractors (XE Services), upkeep services (Halliburton), etc.

An interesting article from a lil ways back:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/10/iraq.usa

The Pentagon today formally barred firms from countries that opposed the war in Iraq from bidding for 26 lucrative private reconstruction contracts in the country. The ruling prevents companies from nations such as France, Germany and Canada from bidding for the deals, which are worth $18.6bn (

Don't forget the opportunities not only for rebuilding what was destroyed but also the services rendered to defense contractors (XE Services), upkeep services (Halliburton), etc.

An interesting article from a lil ways back:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/10/iraq.usa

I am sure that was in place to prevent anti-war 'terrorists' from funding their campaigns. *sigh*

Haliburton was paid all that cash for substandard work that actually killed servicemen in showers due to wiring issues. Mr Cheney took a 36 million dollar parting gift from Haliburton when he agreed to run for office as VP and his choices show what the company was paying for.

http://www.examiner.com/ethical-iss...ute-political-waters-dick-cheney-s-pay-packet

Formerly CEO of Halliburton, Cheney had to relinquish that office to become Vice President. As a parting gift, he received a severance package from Halliburton worth $36 million. (The Guardian). In addition, he received $398,548 in deferred compensation from Halliburton while Vice President, according to ads run by Democratic candidate John Kerry in his campaign. While the ads were incorrect on one point

What did you guys think of the Presidents speech?

Whenever I watch any of President Obama's speeches I cannot help but notice his blinking patterns. He doesn't blink that often. It's kinda weird.