Want Ad: Must be glam . . . NOT! | INFJ Forum

Want Ad: Must be glam . . . NOT!

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
so, I was thinking today that our culture has socialized us to think that anyone who isn't glamourous or even very nicely coiffed is not a worthy enough partner much less soulmate, if you believe in such a thing :D. What ever happened to normal appearances? Why isn't it enough?

Why does everyone have to look like a celeb with rock star abs? I think a little beer gut can be attractive :D, within reason of course.

I'd have a hard time being with someone who was svelt or nicely coiffed. I'd probably feel as if i couldn't just hang with them without looking glam or feeling as if i should look more like a supermodel myself. I'm not saying we won't be looking for a partner to be attractive, but do they have to be glamorously attractive? probably not.

I think many of us go for comfort, not glam.

So, thoughts?

ed%20westwick%20lee%20ryan%20mark%20ronson%20glamour%20awards-thumb-430x234-91743.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christmas
Objectification.

It's funny, looking at those men. They look like aliens. I'm sure many people process their look as normal. The normal. This feeling women have struggled with for centuries, has now caught up to men.

I was shouting about this in my youth, how men were slowly being objectified just as badly as women and how it was the completely wrong direction to go in. I was always scoffed at. Still am. But you know, women are still very angry deep down and feel it's justified. And men allow it because it is the only way they know how to allow equality. And equality is right, but not when both sides are impacted negatively.

So here we are. Separating ourselves with our own stupidity. Even further the gap grows between the haves and have nots.

Neither of those men are my type at all. The one on the left, especially looks really really fake.

idk, they all look pretty normal to me. I find it interesting they all have their hair sticking straight up though, lol. but it's hard for me to tell with men, I can usually spot the obvious attractive things like a six pack or a strong jaw line but the other things that make a man "attractive" elude me a bit.

The hair promotes the whole androgeny trend. They look sleek, in the same way supermodel women do.

the pics were just there for a visual, my question is to everyone is really about how glam is too glam?

Well I think that's the point. I mean, it's way overboard. The lengths that are gone to achieve the look. Peacocking on steroids. People shouldn't have to spend more than ten minutes a day on composing themselves. It's just a waste of existence.

Unless of course it is some kind of special event for fun, and you are fully aware that it is simply a fun activity and has no bearing on your self worth.

I think this is something that's more or less also depending on the person itself. Some people look good with the glam look (Adam Lambert.)
Some people just aren't.

I think it's just a style. There's the rugged looks, and there's the glam, and then there's everything inbetween.

Although talking about abs, I guess then again it depends on your preference AND tolerance. Not to say looks is the only one factor, but eh. It does matter.

Some people just aims more for perfection compared to others.

The hair promotes the whole androgeny trend. They look sleek, in the same way supermodel women do.

I suppose so, It just seems to me like a more masculine look would be more attractive. the androgens look seems like it would appeal more to gay men than it would to women. but of course since we're talking about the fashion industry that does make sense.

But personally I would think men like James Dean and Pierce Brosnan would be more attractive.

I certainly think they're more aesthetically pleasing.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Sometimes, it seems that abs or other physical attributes, pecks, etc. are used as a substitute for other traits. Again, my point is not that people shouldn't strive to look good, and be the best in appearance that they'd like to be. My question is more about how much of the glam is necessary for someone to be worthy?

"Killing Us Softly"

One, two, or three.....

Pretty much explains all of my feelings on this subject.

Reactions: jyrffw54
"Killing Us Softly"

One, two, or three.....

Pretty much explains all of my feelings on this subject.

sorry, couldn't help but post this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-VFpld2gI"]YouTube - Lauryn Hill & Wyclef - Killing me softly[/ame]

Oh my gawd these gaise are so hawt. No offence but the pics of the first 3 guys are just totally not sexy to me :3.

I suppose so, It just seems to me like a more masculine look would be more attractive. the androgens look seems like it would appeal more to gay men than it would to women. but of course since we're talking about the fashion industry that does make sense.

But personally I would think men like James Dean and Pierce Brosnan would be more attractive.

I agree the more masculine look is more attractive. The brooding eyes, some body hair (no fur thanks), broad shoulders, back, small waist compared to shoulders, muscled but like a working man not the gym look and well this has nothing to do with looks but a nice gravely voice. Hmm Hmm.

There was a study that indicated a tendency for women to marry more androgenous men but to have affairs with more masculine men. :D

I agree the more masculine look is more attractive. The brooding eyes, some body hair (no fur thanks), broad shoulders, back, small waist compared to shoulders, muscled but like a working man not the gym look and well this has nothing to do with looks but a nice gravely voice. Hmm Hmm.

:md:

Sometimes, it seems that abs or other physical attributes, pecks, etc. are used as a substitute for other traits. Again, my point is not that people shouldn't strive to look good, and be the best in appearance that they'd like to be. My question is more about how much of the glam is necessary for someone to be worthy?
..I think this depends on the partner's preference. (And intention of hooking up / having a relationship from the first place.)

If we're talking about usual NF 'soulmate' standard, though; personally, as much as it fits the recipient's standard (as in, you can brought them out and not be ashamed about it, you can look at them and not think "God, how ugly."),

those guys are uglyyyyyyyyyyy.

i dislike wellgroomed men like that. gross.

I also find the "stereotype" that hollywood "stereotypes" couples as ridiculous. NO ONE thinks you have to be amazingly handsome to have a soulmate. When people are like "omg hollywood says you have to be sexy to find someone!" they're just ignorant...

Like, fo riz'.

Disclaimer: if this post doesn't make sense, its because I'm like MAJORLY multitasking right now.

or simply improves the visual attractiveness of the room.

*gets on table*

I am a glorious center piece!

Reactions: Wyote