Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Virtue signalling is the expression or promotion of viewpoints that are especially valued within a social group, especially when this is done primarily to enhance the social standing of the speaker.
(Wikipedia)

Often times it gets kind of exhausting when discussions devolve into meaningless virtue signalling. It can vary from the blatant, eg. "I reject intolerance", to the more subtle, eg. "It's a daily struggle to keep one's head above water, and not be drawn into other people's prejudice."

Why is virtue signalling becoming more prevalent (or is it)?

Because internet culture (this place being one of them) has, for years and decades, promotes righteousness as the sign of superiority.

It can be logic / rationality. (see all the debates with/against religion. Also whenever politics are concerned)
It can be virtues or 'righteousness', as you'd say. (see all the debates with/against social justice)
It can be 'street cred' (see : geekdom)

2cfc6f70ac29f631ff2637e456bc0144.jpg

here, have a hipstery image.

At some point it blurs into the real world; via social media, via Facebook, via Twitter and thinkpieces and blogposts and political debates. Then it grows beyond Western culture.

The result is this.

When one of the most effective argument tactics is name-calling and "HAH YOU'RE JUST IRRATIONAL WHINY BITCHES", of course virtue signalling-- "I'm -not- whiny, -you- are!" is going to be more and more prevalent.

I suppose commenting on the topic could in itself function as a type of signalling, but for the purpose of this thread, as long as there is thoughtful content, it isn't simply an exercise in signalling.

I agree that righteousness is a strong aspect of some of it. I just find it so weird that claiming the high-ground is a thing. I know it's politically loaded, but the mantra, "When they go low, you go high", as part of political campaigning just befuddled me... why is that important to government?... Perhaps such things are just important to group identity?

I agree that righteousness is a strong aspect of some of it. I just find it so weird that claiming the high-ground is a thing. I know it's politically loaded, but the mantra, "When they go low, you go high", as part of political campaigning just befuddled me... why is that important to government?... Perhaps such things are just important to group identity?

While yes, claiming moral high ground is a thing... That particular sentence is not related to 'government' though? (governmental moral high ground is assuming Islam is a barbaric, oppresive religion and culture and creating policies reflecting that PoV, if we're talking about politically loaded things)
That is said in the midst of a highly divisive campaign, against someone who (to be very safe, perceived) said so many horrible things to so many people.
Considering the meaning is basically, "Don't do that; we're better than that."
It is not as much as claiming moral high ground as avoiding moral downfall.

A similar sentence with the same meaning would be "We don't negotiate with terrorists."

Assuming such sentences to be solely related to group identity is....kind of weird, to be honest.

Reactions: Wyote and sassafras