Virtual Reality | INFJ Forum

Virtual Reality

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
A few days ago I picked up a new S8+. Initially I had been contemplating getting a new computer with an Ocultus primarily to see if vr had really come all that far. Long story short I thought vr on a phone would be nothing but a gimmick but I picked up the Samsung gear anyway.

How wrong I was. I am floored by how immersive it is and how well it works. A few more years and we won't be able to tell the difference.

A few days ago I picked up a new S8+. Initially I had been contemplating getting a new computer with an Ocultus primarily to see if vr had really come all that far. Long story short I thought vr on a phone would be nothing but a gimmick but I picked up the Samsung gear anyway.

How wrong I was. I am floored by how immersive it is and how well it works. A few more years and we won't be able to tell the difference.
I haven't tried neither, but from what I hear, VR on the gear would be a great experience for anyone who hasn't used VR at all, but the Oculus and the like are in another league above that.

I would be able to tell the difference from the silly thing strapped on my head.
Yes. But I will tell you this, I don't know about the Ocultus but the Gear rig is lightweight and fits snuggly. The VR is so amazing you forget you have it on. I'm not joking. I had no idea what to expect but as I said I thought it would be more gimmick than anything. Not so. Also while in VR with the Gear you have mostly a full field of view but you can see the edges of the world you happen to be in. So yes with this setup you know but after a while your brain ignores the obvious flaws and you are immersed.
Its fricken amazing. I was feeling a little wonder like my first experiences with computers back in the day.
It's really that good.
Of course now that I've talked it up it won't be able to compare with peoples expectations.
:)

I have tried all of them but I am more excited about what is coming down the pipeline with Augmented Reality (HoloLens) as opposed to VR. Still, yea in another five to ten years it's going to be largely integrated into society.
You can see how with the use of AR we will eventually blend the virtual world into reality and have full overlays that are indiscernible from actual reality. Pretty crazy stuff.

Last edited:
The problem I see with VR/AR is that there is a chicken-and-egg problem with gaining traction and having compelling or practical applications. Quality creators and developers wont yet take this serious enough. As this is a new channel of experience, we haven't yet created good tools, nor do we understand the best user interface for it.

The bottom line is that it's too early and too expensive.

The problem I see with VR/AR is that there is a chicken-and-egg problem with gaining traction and having compelling or practical applications. Quality creators and developers wont yet take this serious enough. As this is a new channel of experience, we haven't yet created good tools, nor do we understand the best user interface for it.

The bottom line is that it's too early and too expensive.
I think that once more people understand where we currently are, the faster it will take off. I keep pretty up to date with the latest tech and the advance in VR caught me off guard. It's one thing to talk about it in reviews, it's another thing entirely to experience it. Theres a small learning curve that may throw some off at the beginning but, my prediction is that this takes off and increases exponentially. I can completely see TVs becoming a thing of the past in 10 years. I know that's hard to believe...walking around with a device on your head won't ever be cool... but with time the device will get smaller perhaps ending up like a set of wielders glasses. Eventually contact lenses.

I have tried all of them but I am more excited about what is coming down the pipeline with Augmented Reality (HoloLens) as opposed to VR. Still, yea in another five to ten years it's going to be largely integrated into society.
You can see how with the use of AR we will eventually blend the virtual world into reality and have full overlays that are indiscernible from actual reality. Pretty crazy stuff.

I would love augmented reality if I could use it with something that resembles a mouse or a touchpad. That way I don't accidentally smack anyone in the head when I'm working.

Seriously, who is really going to wave their arms around on a bus?

Whilst I'm very in favour of IT, and aware you can't hold back the future, that last part does worry me.
People have been trying to escape reality for as long as they have been aware. Drugs, religion and now science...
It is the way of things.

I would love augmented reality if I could use it with something that resembles a mouse or a touchpad. That way I don't accidentally smack anyone in the head when I'm working.

Seriously, who is really going to wave their arms around on a bus?

I empathize with your plight for sure. And like it's already been stated, it is too early to tell how such technology will be integrated and used because of these sorts of issues.

Some interesting stuff that may resolve some of the issues down the line:

I like the show Through The Wormhole. It adresses many of the topics already posted in this thread.

Having worked in IT for many years I've had an opportunity to see this stuff develop up close and reality, AR, VR, all seem to continually get more and more blurred.

The rate of change is increasing exponentially just as @Eventhorizon has suggested and I don't see why it would be any different with this technology. If it fixes a problem or provides a competitive advantage then people will leverage it as much as they can within the boundaries of social acceptability.