Griffinheart

Community Member
Jun 23, 2020
Brocéliande
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
This is just a very interesting observation I made from last night's Muay Thai sessions. So it was the first time I started learning how to clinch (basically stand-up grappling) and I was essentially thrown into the deep end. The truth is, I HATED it. But I hated it specifically for one reason; I had no idea what I was doing. I felt like a fish out of water around the more experienced fighters and I was getting real upset and dissatisfied.

However, when I finally worked with someone who began offering me different ways to approach this, such as the correct holding position, how to pull them off balance, how to correctly counter knees, I started getting real excited. I left the session much more satisfied because I felt like I left with something worth thinking about and considering for next time.

I'd argue this is a case of Ne in action, where I learn best by understanding the concept of the technique first before actually performing it. Someone with higher Se preference would probably see the endeavour as a means of exploring how to counter, shift the weight, etc. without prior instruction, which I can't do as well. So by understanding this, I have a much better way of approaching martial arts like Muay Thai or BJJ that isn't solely based on improv Se and more on internalising the concept with Ne.

Anyway, that's just something I've noticed in relation to cognitive functions.

Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: Synergos and Asa