US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble | INFJ Forum

US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble

ec3khrl

Community Member
Jul 18, 2009
MBTI
ENTP
A 12-year-old US schoolgirl is suing the New York City authorities for $1m (

Sensationalist move. Not worth my attention.

I bet if we made more arrests we would have nicer desks, I say people who stick chewing gum under their desk get cuffs to.

read the time machine by h g wells. Those who rely on instant information over brain power become less intelligent.

And I thought the arrest was an overreaction when it happened.

That's...ridiculous.

At most, she should've been taken to the principal's office and made to stay after school maybe one or two days, helping the custodian clean the bathrooms. But even that sounds harsh.

Are they crazy? The girl may legitimately have a case!

also, the thing with not letting her parent accompany her sounds illegal

That's...ridiculous.

At most, she should've been taken to the principal's office and made to stay after school maybe one or two days, helping the custodian clean the bathrooms. But even that sounds harsh.

Are they crazy? The girl may legitimately have a case!
She has a legitimate complaint, of course. I rolled my eyes when the original story came out, complete with the policeman's moronic appeal to procedure. But now the girl is seeking to gain a massively disproportionate amount of money, and she has lost whatever sympathy I had. (Her parents are the one's looking to cash in, of course.)

it is about punative measures. Not "getting what is right", but punishing the police for their negligence and bordering on criminal behaviour. Also the schools for searching her person without a parent there.

Putting their hands down her pants, front and back could and should be construed as sexual molestation.

also, the thing with not letting her parent accompany her sounds illegal

Agreed. Although there are cases of juvenile delinquency that maybe - MAYBE - apply. But seeing how she wasn't a violent offender I can't see how this would be a legitimate case.

She has a legitimate complaint, of course. I rolled my eyes when the original story came out, complete with the policeman's moronic appeal to procedure. But now the girl is seeking to gain a massively disproportionate amount of money, and she has lost whatever sympathy I had. (Her parents are the one's looking to cash in, of course.)

It is disproportionate, but a million isn't a lot, actually. And while a few thousand dollars might've fit the crime (or more, depending on court costs) this will send a message. I doubt it would've hit the papers if she hadn't sued for a million. Money talks.

it is about punative measures. Not "getting what is right", but punishing the police for their negligence and bordering on criminal behaviour. Also the schools for searching her person without a parent there.

Putting their hands down her pants, front and back could and should be construed as sexual molestation.

Agreed.

gotta ask yourself as well if one million dollars could even be used to send her to a better, private school.

It is disproportionate, but a million isn't a lot, actually. And while a few thousand dollars might've fit the crime (or more, depending on court costs) this will send a message. I doubt it would've hit the papers if she hadn't sued for a million. Money talks.

I'm all for punitive damages... if they are taken from and go to the right people. If the city pays it all, and police themselves pay nothing, then there's little point. If it all goes to the family, then it encourages gold-digging lawsuits in the future. The culprits have to feel it directly.

Last edited:
i agree using handcuffs on a 12 year old was unnecessary, but suing for $1million? talk about milking it for all it's worth..

Two months after the incident, Gonzalez and her mother, Maraima Comacho, are suing the New York City Education Department and the New York Police Department for $1 million in damages

The New York City Education Department. Great. What better way to improve our schools than by taking and pocketing a crapload of money from them because your daughter "...started crying, like, a lot" and stuff.

"...and I'm proud
to be
an American,
da da da daa
somethin' somethin'
money!"

:m124::m151:

I'm all for punitive damages... if they are taken from and go to the right people. If the city pays it all, and police themselves pay nothing, then there's little point. If it all goes to the family, then it encourages gold-digging lawsuits in the future. The culprits have to feel it directly.

It'll be the city paying for it, regardless, since they pay the officers. And they have funds for this via insurance. It's not going to be the tax payers.

They probably will end up settling out of court, but the message is sent.

The New York City Education Department. Great. What better way to improve our schools than by taking and pocketing a crapload of money from them because your daughter "...started crying, like, a lot" and stuff.

"...and I'm proud
to be
an American,
da da da daa
somethin' somethin'
money!"

:m124::m151:
The US education depatment doesnt need more money. It needs better teachers and administrators.

It should of been handled internally, in the form of a detention, actions such as this only infer than schools are incapable of doing their job and that the police are incapable of making intelligent situations which is anything but reassuring.

I think that the family is right to sue though the amount is clearly ridiculous, I assumed that it was more an attempt to get attention and more media coverage though....I dunno, to be fair I think a thousand wouldn't be out of the question, given her age, it must of been traumatic for her.

"Miss Gonzalez was suspended from school and tried in a family court, where she was given eight hours of community service and ordered to write an essay about lessons to be learned from the incident."

that sounds fair, it was clearly meant as a deterrent but I can't believe that the cops went through with it. In fact why don't they just use cops and law enforcement instead of having a principle and such, from that example it seems like thats the way they're going with it anyways *rolls eyes*

I really don't know how to take in this kind of news sometimes, given how it reflects on the system and community as a whole, makes me glad I don't live in america.

Last edited:
and while the ones destroying chances for poor people are also backing ultra capitalism, demanding money from their system doesnt seem wrong to me

The US education depatment doesnt need more money. It needs better teachers and administrators.

As far as I know, the layoffs and furloughs aren't going to be drawing any talent any time soon.