Unique types of intelligence often ignored | INFJ Forum

Unique types of intelligence often ignored

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What unique, unusual, atypical, or subtle types of intelligence (not IQ) Do you think are often ignored? Could you give an example of it in yourself or others? Why Do you think it is ignored or not recognized?

What unique, unusual, atypical, or subtle types of intelligence (not IQ) Do you think are often ignored? Could you give an example of it in yourself or others? Why Do you think it is ignored or not recognized?
Children occasionally have incredible insight into things...at the very least will be blunt with you.
Of course you have the “idiot savant” who can play the piano or violin like they are possessed...though that's kind of a harsh title.
My nephew has a kind of autism...he falls on the scale...his asshole Mom drank and did drugs while he was in-utero...he definitely had/has fetal alcohol syndrome. (She had two kids before him who live with her Mother...and apparently has had two to three more kids after my Nephew...if ever a law were to be written for state enforced sterilization - it would be for this stupid woman.)
He has difficulty controlling himself and gets easily overwhelmed by things...definitely is defiant to my Mom (Grandma) and his Dad my brother who was able to gain sole custody of him - and even though he has given his Mom many chances to see him, she always has a reason why she can’t.
So they live with Grandma...my Mom.
I spite of all these difficulties that he has faced so far and will continue to face probably his entire life, he is a very bright and very affectionate person.
He is very interested in coins and collects them from around the world - you should see how excited he gets.
As well as geology...he is getting quite the collection of gems and stones and has a rock tumbler (he’s in 2nd grade now).
He can tell you all about the coins and the stones, their properties and how they were formed, etc.
So far he is in a regular class and not special ed. hopefully he can maintain and stay there.
He is such a smart kid, it is really frustrating (and I imagine it is for him 1000X so) that he has such behavior issues sometimes - and since it’s fetal alcohol, there is not really a good drug treatment like they have for ADHD kids (though they have tried them).
They effect him differently.
Anyhow...not sure if that is what you meant, I had many examples of atypical intelligence when I was a night supervisor at The Center for Neuro Skills.
It was a facility for brain injured clients, who needed 24 hour direction and care.
Sometimes you would see or hear them say fantastic things that they shouldn’t have been able to.
Sometimes you could see the intelligence in their eyes, but you could see their body was their prison.

Not sure if that is what you meant.

Last edited:
Children occasionally have incredible insight into things...at the very least will be blunt with you.
Of course you have the “idiot savant” who can play the piano or violin like they are possessed...though that's kind of a harsh title.
My nephew has a kind of autism...he falls on the scale...his asshole Mom drank and did drugs while he was in-utero...he definitely had/has fetal alcohol syndrome. (She had two kids before him who live with her Mother...and apparently has had two to three more kids after my Nephew...if ever a law were to be written for state enforced sterilization - it would be for this stupid woman.
He has difficulty controlling himself and gets easily overwhelmed by things...definitely is defiant to my Mom (Grandma) and his Dad my brother who was able to gain sole custody of him - and even though he has given his Mom many chances to see him, she always has a reason why she can’t.
I spite of all these difficulties that he has faced so far and will continue to face probably his entire life, he is a very bright and very affectionate person.
He is very interested in coins and collects them from around the world - you should see how excited he gets.
As well as geology...he is getting quite the collection of gems and stones and has a rock tumbler (he’s in 2nd grade now).
He can tell you all about the coins and the stones, their properties and how they were formed, etc.
So far he is in a regular class and not special ed. hopefully he can maintain and stay there.
He is such a smart kid, it is really frustrating (and I imagine it is for him 1000X so) that he has such behavior issues sometimes - and since it’s fetal alcohol, there is not really a good drug treatment like they have for ADHD kids (though they have tried them).
Anyhow...not sure if that is what you meant, I had many examples of atypical intelligence when I was a night supervisor at The Center for Neuro Skills.
It was a facility for brain injured clients, who needed 24 hour direction and care.
Sometimes you would see or hear them say fantastic things that they shouldn’t have been able to.
Sometimes you could see the intelligence in their eyes, but you could see their body was their prison.

Exactly what I meant. Great examples! I'm also curious why those particular types of intelligence are not appreciated, understood, noticed, or given as much attention. Is it because the person has others challenges so their gifts are more easily overlooked?

Every form of intelligence that doesn't test well and fit into the "well-rounded" education system is ignored. If you don't fit into this system like a cog, you need to become incredibly successful (rich and famous) to get attention, or become a doctor, or lawyer. Personally, I don't think a standard well-rounded education cultivates greatness. The US is a prime example of mediocrity in education.

There would be more masters of their crafts if students were divided into schools that suit their strengths earlier. In my former city, there were high schools that concentrated on the arts, sciences, and tech. Every student I know who had the privilege of attending such a school was far more advanced at their strengths than the well-rounded students in standard high schools.

Brains learn differently, so the best methods of learning vary. Different areas of skill/interest need different strengths. We all need math, but not the same math, taught in the same way.

Sir Ken Robinson has said some interesting things about education on TED talks. I know, TED...grumble, grumble... but some interesting people do speak at TED.

Edit: per @Skarekrow's post. I too know a few autistic kids, and they have areas where they are brilliant. For one it is physics, for another it is languages....
I have a few friends who are unassuming, quiet, "underachievers", and can learn any language thrown at them within a few days, and have a deep understanding of etymology.

Last edited:
Exactly what I meant. Great examples! I'm also curious why those particular types of intelligence are not appreciated, understood, noticed, or given as much attention. Is it because the person has others challenges so their gifts are more easily overlooked?
In his case his behavior and outbursts really prevent him from expressing himself intelligently during those moments.
Both my Brother and my Mom take anti anxiety meds. just to deal with him some days.
The fear is that he will eventually become too big to control and will not have gained that power over his own actions to the point he can function semi-normally.
The fear is that he will become physically violent one day is a real concern of theirs.
The hope is that he will learn to control his outbursts and be able to live a normalish life.
What do you do with someone who is an adult size and is physically assaulting their caregivers?
It’s a tough spot that hopefully never happens.

Last edited:
Something I recently found out about myself is that for better or worse I've always been incredibly good at hyper- binding, even at a young age which is one aspect about myself that made me feel somewhat alienated. There are all sorts of psychological minutia that provide people with unique skills and abilities! The brain is super interesting.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2010/01/hyper-binding-aint-for-sissies.cfm

Great article! I believe this is also called associational thinking (http://www.cerecore.com/associationalThinking.php) and analogical reasoning (http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-analogical-reasoning.htm), where connections are made between things that seem random but have some chain of reasoning to justify a perceived similarity or association. Though, instead Of interpreting the results through age, another question would be how and why are these connections being made? What reasoning is being used to create these seemingly random associations? People will often Dismiss connections as invalid or irrational because they Don't notice or recognize the thinking behind it.

Great article! I believe this is also called associational thinking ... and analogical reasoning

While I do completely agree that these are strongly associated to one another, I think there are subtle differences between them that make them slightly different concepts. But perhaps I'm splitting hairs a bit.

While I do completely agree that these are strongly associated to one another, I think there are subtle differences between them that make them slightly different concepts. But perhaps I'm splitting hairs a bit.

Could you clarify a bit?

Could you clarify a bit?

Essentially hyper binding is a psychological outcome and the other two are problem solving processes with slightly different operations

My nephew has a kind of autism...he falls on the scale...his asshole Mom drank and did drugs while he was in-utero...he definitely had/has fetal alcohol syndrome. (She had two kids before him who live with her Mother...and apparently has had two to three more kids after my Nephew...if ever a law were to be written for state enforced sterilization - it would be for this stupid woman.)

Your nephew seems like a great kid and I really hope that everything gets better. But I really don't think that having hobbies, collecting things and knowing stuff is a sign or type of intelligence.

Reactions: Jexocuha

I suppose it's also because those types of intelligence don't have real world practical applications. A high IQ suggests a strong aptitude for problem solving, pattern recognition, logistical analyzes. All skills which are seen as useful in the modern world. So there's more focus on that type of intelligence.

So other systems of thinking that aren't seen as productive are either ignored, derided, or utilized in niche areas.

I think fashion designers are also pretty intelligent. People don't view what they do as a necessity; it's more of a luxury for society. But it's still a type of spatial intelligence, I think, because they can take the fabric and figure out how to make it look appealing on a body. Also, anything creative is the opposite of what IQ tests measure... it's like divergent intelligence versus convergent intelligence.

9-types-of-intelligence-infographic.png

Your nephew seems like a great kid and I really hope that everything gets better. But I really don't think that having hobbies, collecting things and knowing stuff is a sign or type of intelligence.
I guess you missed the part where I stated that he can tell you all about each one...each coin, year, stone/crystal - why you shitting on my post?

Imho having some semblance of tact would have to be included in the “signs of intelligence” master list.
(That and never saying “Not to be a dick, but...”)

anime-eye-roll-gif-2.gif

Social Intelligence
https://www.karlalbrecht.com/siprofile/siprofiletheory.htm
Especially in today's social media platforms.

Dimension: Involves:
A Abstract Conceptual reasoning, manipulating verbal, mathematical & symbolic information.

S Social Interacting successfully with others in various contexts.

P Practical "Common sense" capabilities; the ability to solve problems & get things done.

E Emotional Self-insight & the ability to regulate or manage one's reactions to experience.

A Aesthetic Appreciation of form, design and relationships.

K Kinesthetic Whole-body competence, e.g. singing, dancing, flying an airplane.

There are different types of creative intelligence. And I think each person who dabbles in creativity has their own approach to experiencing and displaying that creativity.

I also think that if a new perspective on intelligence is proposed, there's a tendency to dismiss it if it's not explicable or explainable based on a currently accepted theory about it.

Last edited: