Typeless cognitive function hierarchy | INFJ Forum

Typeless cognitive function hierarchy

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
I recently noticed while hanging out with my friends that some of them don't fit into the normal patterns. For example one is a Te-Fi and the other a Ni-Se. Any thoughts?

The functions you've mentioned are polar opposites of each other. I don't think it's possible to have Ni as dom and Se as auxiliary, because that implies that both are strong in the same person. Same goes with Te and Fi.
It's probably your mistake. To be fair, only someone who's MBTI certified is qualified to type a person.

You already know this, though, and it's not the point of the thread. Some types, or even some people, could be anomalies as to their hierarchy. For example, I've read that ISFPs aren't considered by some to be Fi dominant types at all, because of their preference for living in, and acting on, the present. So they're Se types by some.

Another, more likely, explanation is that you are basing your opinion of their "behavior" on your own perceptions, which are biased. Your own unique way of processing data (cognitive functions) is interpreting the world in a specific way. I think perhaps you should allow for the fact that your 'identifiation" of what function they are using is faulty. I'm not suggesting you stop trying to figure out people, only that you realize it is an on-going process that requires you question your interpretations just as rigorously.

The functions you've mentioned are polar opposites of each other.
Another, more likely, explanation is that you are basing your opinion of their "behavior" on your own perceptions

I'm not really sure, in both ways. I might be observing my friend's behavior, but for example I myself am also quite strong with Te-Fi. And the cognitive function test always show Te-Fi as my strongest.

I know they're on the opposite side of the scale, but I think for example that Te-Fi really can link together very well. Imagine a person who has a very strong mindset of how things should be and a very discriminate about morals, aesthetics and all those nuances etc. (Fi). And combine that with an extraordinary skills for assessing and ordering the outer world (Te). That is one ruthless politician, Machiavellian even.

The Ni-Se thing is harder to imagine, I think.

I'm not really sure, in both ways. I might be observing my friend's behavior, but for example I myself am also quite strong with Te-Fi. And the cognitive function test always show Te-Fi as my strongest.

I know they're on the opposite side of the scale, but I think for example that Te-Fi really can link together very well. Imagine a person who has a very strong mindset of how things should be and a very discriminate about morals, aesthetics and all those nuances etc. (Fi). And combine that with an extraordinary skills for assessing and ordering the outer world (Te). That is one ruthless politician, Machiavellian even.

The Ni-Se thing is harder to imagine, I think.

Well, the Te-Fi is observed in INTJs and ISTJs, but as a secondary-tertiary lineup. I thought you meant Te as primary and Fi as secondary. Well, those are both rational (or decision making) functions, so how is the user supposed to take in any information? An N or S function must be one of the first two in the lineup. It'd be a wacky human being who had Te as primary and Fi as secondary.

Though I could be wrong, as always. Nothing is certain.

Last edited: