Type stereotyping | INFJ Forum

Type stereotyping

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Although there are some general patterns or tendencies among people of various types, i think it is misleading to keep boxing people in by saying, they can't be type A, B, or C because of 1, 2, and 3. This very idea contradictions the concept of individuality. Many people do not act or behave according to type, so to say they can't be A because they don't behave as As do, is iffy.

Another thing - the past has a lot to do with who we are today. As time passes, changes to personality are made. Sometimes, we move closer to our type, or move away from it.

Typing is a useful tool and i enjoy thinking about different types, as long as typing doesn't become stereotyping, i'm good. For example, I identify more with type descriptions than a particular type, as many here do.

And questioning your type, doesn't mean you must be an INFJ or a specific type. Questioning your type simply means you're questioning your type.

People have done these tests, and they do it a year later and they are the complete opposite, whether they are 40 or 15. You can always change and improve yourself aslong as you have the drive and determination to do it. Many people just simply don't care about changing themselves. They are Them which is what they say. Even thow they might not like how they are they just seem to accept it. I have this problem at my college right now and I am trying to help 1 of my friends change and become a better person.

I never label myself, I hate getting label'd. I only came on this forum to see if people with the same 'tag' are like me. It's all 1 big experiment for me really.

I also dislike how people say...well, your more this, so you can't do that. This really doesn't help with people overcoming fears and such or changing. Many people would use their mental illness as an excuse not to be able to do something, and all they are doing it making it harder for themselves to change for the better.

I have also read over all of the types and I can take a little bit out of each 1 that suits me well.

Sorry for the messy reply.

Last edited:
People have done these tests, and they do it a year later and they are the complete opposite, whether they are 40 or 15. You can always change and improve yourself aslong as you have the drive and determination to do it. Many people just simply don't care about changing themselves. They are Them which is what they say. Even thow they might not like how they are they just seem to accept it. I have this problem at my college right now and I am trying to help 1 of my friends change and become a better person.

I never label myself, I hate getting label'd. I only came on this forum to see if people with the same 'tag' are like me. It's all 1 big experiment for me really.

I also dislike how people say...well, your more this, so you can't do that. This really doesn't help with people overcoming fears and such or changing. Many people would use their mental illness as an excuse not to be able to do something, and all they are doing it making it harder for themselves to change for the better.

I have also read over all of the types and I can take a little bit out of each 1 that suits me well.

Sorry for the messy reply.

@Free Mind - Not messy . . . thank you :)

I enjoy exploring typing and learning about the diffierent functions and personalities, and getting some feedback based on perception, but i don't support the idea that you shouldn't identify with a type because it's not your natural, supposedly "unchangeable" type. I think it's fun to look at the various descriptions and see what fits. I'm less interested in being one specific type than finding how or where i can identify with the different type descriptions. And i think many feel the same.

Last edited:
Questioning your type means you are trying to understand the fluid exchange of energy between the inward and the outward withing yourself. In other words, understanding your personality.

What differentiates a type from another is how we interact with that energy that is within us, and the energy that surrounds us. How we take it in, how do we respond to it, and how do we integrate in the our developmental journey that usually accompanies age.

Stereotyping usually comes from generalizing, and because it is very difficult to provide a description for every single person, we tend to take the most typical and commonly observed traits in a group of people and then we coin the term (or type in this case) in order to help us, and them understand our behavioral patterns and responses.

I don't think stereotyping is bad as long as it doesn't stop people from seeing the fluidity of someone's persona. After all, the human psyche is one of the most paradoxical phenomena observed as it exhibits conformity and individuality all at the same time. =)