Questingpoet

Not Afraid to Use His Beard
Donor
Sep 11, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Some interesting info I though I'd pass on. I have seen this before, but I'm not sure how many others of you have. Where I found this had no author credit, so I can't give it here. It's part of the MBTI theory as a whole though I believe.

Type dynamics according to the differences in a particular type.

For types that have no difference is called the identify

Identity - same types; a typological mirror-image. e.g. INTJ - INTJ

For types differing by one preference:

E/I - Pal - work and play well together; minimal natrual type conflict.
N/S - Neighbor - arrive at the same place by variant processes.
T/F - Compansion - similar modes of expression; bear each other's company well.
J/P - Complement - compatible strengths with opposite emphases.

For types differing by 2 preferences:

E/I and N/S - Counterpart - perform similar functions in totally different realms.
E/I and T/F - Tribesman - share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities.
E/I and J/P - Contrast - point and counterpoint on each function.
N/S and T/F - Enigma - a puzzle; totally foreign in nearly every facet.
N/S and J/P - Suitemate - A person one might be comfortable sharing an office. Prefer similar climates, but don't necessarily have much in common as far as goals or world views.
T/F and J/P - Advisor - each has an area of insight that the other lacks.

For types differing by 3 preferences:

E/I, T/F, and J/P - Pedagogue - each is both the other's mentor and student; has a "parent to child" feel.
E/I, N/S, and J/P - Cohort - mutually drawn into experiential escapades.
E/I, N/S, and T/F - Novelty - intriguingly different; interestingly so.
N/S, T/F, and J/P - Supplement - like Pal, but functions are farther removed; each can add to the other's strengths.

For types differeing by all 4 preferences:

Anima - fits Dr Beebe's description of the anima/anumus; each is the other's inferior (4th) function.

Very well-done and succinct, QP...the first thing that came to my mind, other than the clarity of your post, had to to with Jung's theories. You probably already know this. For the male, the inverse function is anima (female POV), and for the female it's animus (male POV). Because of the different structuring in male and female brains asw a result of the very different proportions of hormones in each, is there a way to take a hack at understanding what influence gender may have here? I realize it's like taking variables of these hormonal proportions from A to Z and everywhere in between and describe qualitative differences between quantitative function, and that seems almost impossible, but I think it is interesting. A principle from electronics comes to my mind, and that is phasing. If you take a sine wave and change the phase to any degree you want, 90 degrees, 180 degrees or whatever, the peaks and valleys are the same, they're just in different places. Seems like a reasonable way to try to describe some of the differences between male and female.

This is very interesting information. Could you go into a bit more detail on the last part, where all four functions are different? Would you say that these difference can supply reasons why we get along with some types despite differences and why some types, we can't seem to stand to be around? Like for me, the ESTPs and ENTJs that I've met just outright get on my nerves, but I don't mind ENTPs or ESFPs. But I guess it just depends on a combination of the magnitude of difference b/w the functions and which functions will work/clash with each other.

Very well-done and succinct, QP...the first thing that came to my mind, other than the clarity of your post, had to to with Jung's theories. You probably already know this. For the male, the inverse function is anima (female POV), and for the female it's animus (male POV). Because of the different structuring in male and female brains asw a result of the very different proportions of hormones in each, is there a way to take a hack at understanding what influence gender may have here? I realize it's like taking variables of these hormonal proportions from A to Z and everywhere in between and describe qualitative differences between quantitative function, and that seems almost impossible, but I think it is interesting. A principle from electronics comes to my mind, and that is phasing. If you take a sine wave and change the phase to any degree you want, 90 degrees, 180 degrees or whatever, the peaks and valleys are the same, they're just in different places. Seems like a reasonable way to try to describe some of the differences between male and female.

I believe you may be very sound in your theory of applying trig functions however what happens when there's an anomaly? Chemical and hormonal deficiencies would cause a shift on the graph that would not match up with standard applied levels of hormones and chemicals. How would one plot imbalances?

It would seem that each function would represent a different type of internal language, that when used together express our
interpretations of the internal and external realities we occupy. The more highly integrated our functions become, the easier it becomes to use all of them as strengths. Our weaknesses are relative to the strenghts we posess, and reducing the distance between them on the scale would seem to give us a more complete perspective on ourselves and our enviroment, both internal and external.

Yes, it seems like a reasonable way. But highly complicated too. But I constantly try to use MBTI to figure out male/female relationships, so the results would be very interesting. I'm not sure I have the chops to take a crack at it though. I thought this information would be enlightening and useful to those who haven't seen it already and are interested in MBTI theory.

Bird, I agree. Considering the variables in neuroendocrine function and cascade and our individual biology, we would likely be looking at so many sublevels that exact correlation would be nearly impossible. Add to that concepts about the question that the "mind" is an abstract construct and we get into more problems that would make quantifing variables equally incomplete. I sure hope I'm not disintegrating into gobbledygook here.

This is very interesting information. Could you go into a bit more detail on the last part, where all four functions are different? Would you say that these difference can supply reasons why we get along with some types despite differences and why some types, we can't seem to stand to be around? Like for me, the ESTPs and ENTJs that I've met just outright get on my nerves, but I don't mind ENTPs or ESFPs. But I guess it just depends on a combination of the magnitude of difference b/w the functions and which functions will work/clash with each other.

First off, I truly believe that any type can get along with and enjoy any other type. There are just too many factors that make up personality for it to be any other way. I have met ENTP's I love, and those that I can't stand. Human dynamics are highly interactive and subjective.

My own personal opinion is that we get along best with those more like us. We celebrate likeness in others and find SMALL differences compelling. We struggle to find perspective in dealing with others who are too different. INFJ types may be better at this due to strong empathy, but we still like similar types better.

First off, I truly believe that any type can get along with and enjoy any other type. There are just too many factors that make up personality for it to be any other way. I have met ENTP's I love, and those that I can't stand. Human dynamics are highly interactive and subjective.

My own personal opinion is that we get along best with those more like us. We celebrate likeness in others and find SMALL differences compelling. We struggle to find perspective in dealing with others who are too different. INFJ types may be better at this due to strong empathy, but we still like similar types better.
And I agree with you on that note :) Life would not be as enriched if everyone only associated with their type.