Griffinheart

Community Member
Jun 23, 2020
Brocéliande
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I just realised this after my flatmate invited a bunch of people over. One of them I already knew and was already expecting, except the other I had no clue about. Usually I'm quite approachable and friendly in most circumstances, but to see someone I'm not used to seeing being inside my house and even approaching me and forcing conversation made me feel super awkward.

It's almost like I felt personally threatened by the existence of a foreign invader inside the very house I called home. Me being phobic, I mostly got very tongue-tied and looked elsewhere and tried to find a way to get the Hell out of there before things got worse.

Do any other type sixes find this familiar?

Not sure what type I am (maybe 6, or at least a little bit of it), but yeah, this is relatable.

However, I think it has to do with the unexpected aspect of it. You knew the first one was coming, but the second one was unexpected and this is what annoyed you.

Rather than a 6 thing, it may just be an introvert thing. I know sometimes I can be in states when my "people juice" is spent, and interaction with anyone will feel thorny and draining, whether or not I know them or expect to run into them. At that point, even basic pleasantries or smiles and laughs will feel like lifting something heavy.

Isn't the type 6 about security? Maybe the type 6 would be upset by the unexpected presence of strangers not because of the social awkwardness, but because of a lack of trust. Who is this person, why is she in my house, how does she behave in general, etc.

Reactions: Griffinheart
It's almost like I felt personally threatened by the existence of a foreign invader inside the very house I called home. Me being phobic, I mostly got very tongue-tied and looked elsewhere and tried to find a way to get the Hell out of there before things got worse.

Do any other type sixes find this familiar?
I'm exactly the same and I'm a type 6.

My house is my sanctum. I don't like unexpected visitors. Invaders must die.

Same here! My mom has invited her BF over without saying anything until that day. Oh, the anxiety I feel.

Reactions: Lady Jolanda
Not sure what type I am (maybe 6, or at least a little bit of it), but yeah, this is relatable.

However, I think it has to do with the unexpected aspect of it. You knew the first one was coming, but the second one was unexpected and this is what annoyed you.

Rather than a 6 thing, it may just be an introvert thing. I know sometimes I can be in states when my "people juice" is spent, and interaction with anyone will feel thorny and draining, whether or not I know them or expect to run into them. At that point, even basic pleasantries or smiles and laughs will feel like lifting something heavy.

Isn't the type 6 about security? Maybe the type 6 would be upset by the unexpected presence of strangers not because of the social awkwardness, but because of a lack of trust. Who is this person, why is she in my house, how does she behave in general, etc.
Yeah, type 6 is all about feeling safe and secure. When I'm outside, I know exactly what to expect and can better prepare for anything unexpected. Someone I don't know where they came from, their background, their intentions, etc. suddenly appearing in my house makes things a little difficult for me to be pleasant.

I'd usually say I'm socially introverted, since I honestly don't like spending too much time with strangers, even though I'm 'cognitively' extraverted. I also feel like the whole "people juice" analogy is fitting.

Don't Tread on Me!

It's especially bad when your own flatmate can't even communicate with you and is a health hazard with his hygiene.

I'd introduce myself but I wouldn't hang around for too long, I've got shit to do.
Wish I can have that attitude.

I am not a 6 but I absolutely despise having visitors. I do not like people in my space. I hate the feeling of having to entertain someone else. A group of people sounds worse except they can entertain each other.

I have always felt my home was my space and my space only. The idea of even long time friends or my own family being in my house brings me significant stress.