Twilight Book/Film Series | INFJ Forum

Twilight Book/Film Series

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Just watched the fourth film Breaking Dawn Part 1, and I was able to enjoy it because I wasn't looking for anything great or extraordinary. I just saw it as another vampire fantasy film. I always considered it a romantic fantasy film rather than action.

I didn't go in with high expectations so I thought it was ok. It wasn't bad or good. It was just an interesting film.

I think they were tame with some of the scenes and could've been more explicit or showed more gore than they did :D. Would've helped if they allowed the film an R rating but since many fans are younger, it would limit the audience.

I think this series could've been an extraordinary gothic/horror film if given the chance to really develop it's story and characters onscreen. I think Interview with a Vampire, Dracula, and True Blood set the bar high, so it's difficult not to compare them.

Any thoughts

Disclaimer: I don't expect many will like or love the film, but I'd like to keep the discussion civil and not have it devolve into Twi-hards vs. haters thread. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 894tt3h9
Oh god

Team-Jacob-jacob-black-3516464-500-399.jpg

I tend to stay away from anything that is hyped by the media.

I have not watched or read anything to do with Twilight. I don't plan on watching or reading anything to do with Twilight.

the 'vegetarianism' of the vampires is interesting. the first book is the only part of this phenomenon i have consumed. overall it struck me as purveying unhealthy attitudes about relationships. i disliked the taken-for-granted validity of romantic connection combined with the ways edward stalks bella, tells her she is incompetent to survival without him, that he is afraid of loving her to death, that sort of thing - seems like peddling a recipe for abuse. regardless however i look at it just does not fit in the same category with stoker or anne rice far superior literary and philosophical texts. from a bookselling perspective the phenomenon is dead as these titles just do not sell anymore. i'm happy they got another generation reading but hopefully will lose currency and time dispose of them soon enough.

Reactions: Gaze
I actually enjoy watching the films even though its a very guilty pleasure but Stephanie Meyer is just awful as a writer though.

the 'vegetarianism' of the vampires is interesting.

I think this aspect is interesting because it introduces the idea that self control is possible in a species whose very nature and existence indicates the possibility of little or no self control supposedly due to their beastly, demonic, or animalistic nature. As supernatural beings, they don't have the physical limitations of human body. Their appetities are unquenchable and it's a continous struggle to manage. I actually think that Edward's character seems fairly self controlled considering he is a vampire. The Cullen family practiced discipline and self control - the idea that you don't have to give in to your natural impulses.

After isolating yourself from your own kind and holding back, I can understand Edward's pull towards Bella. I know many will disagree with this romanticised reading of Edward and Bella's relationship but I think Edward's desire is less about wanting to stalk or control her than a desire to give himself to someone completely without having to hold back so much.

I think this aspect is interesting because it introduces the idea that self control is possible in a species whose very nature and existence indicates the possibility of little or no self control supposedly due to their beastly, demonic, or animalistic nature. As supernatural beings, they don't have the physical limitations of human body. Their appetities are unquenchable and it's a continous struggle to manage. I actually think that Edward's character seems fairly self controlled considering he is a vampire. The Cullen family practiced discipline and self control - the idea that you don't have to give in to your natural impulses.

After isolating yourself from your own kind and holding back, I can understand Edward's pull towards Bella. I know many will disagree with this romanticised reading of Edward and Bella's relationship but I think Edward's desire is less about wanting to stalk or control her than a desire to give himself to someone completely without having to hold back so much.

I whole-heartedly agree with this, especially the bolded-statement.

I will admit, that I wasn't very impressed with the writing style of this series, but none-the-less, I liked the way that it was narrated, especially when she decided to write certain events of Breaking Dawn from Jacob's point of view, rather than Bella's. I think this is actually what impressed me most about the series, because it really allowed room for growth of the supporting characters of the story.

I haven't watched the movies, I've really been trying to figure out what all the hype is for a very long time. I read the first book and I thought the concept was alright but I had trouble getting past the atrocious writing. That's just my personal taste though since nothing modern seems too well written when your favorite authors are Tolstoy and Steinbeck. Perhaps I should give the movies a good go over, for some reason I could just never get past feeling like Edward was some kind of creepy stalker in the book.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I haven't watched the movies, I've really been trying to figure out what all the hype is for a very long time. I read the first book and I thought the concept was alright but I had trouble getting past the atrocious writing. That's just my personal taste though since nothing modern seems too well written when your favorite authors are Tolstoy and Steinbeck. Perhaps I should give the movies a good go over, for some reason I could just never get past feeling like Edward was some kind of creepy stalker in the book.

I think they toned that aspect of his personality down in the movies. I haven't read the books so I can't compare. But instead of portraying him like a stalker, they made his character more mysterious and secretive. You can exactly be the most sociable or outgoing person if you're a member of a family of vampires whose family doesn't hunt and you have other deadly vampires looking for you. It couldn't exactly be out in the open for everyone to see. He would likely draw unnecessary attention to himself I'd assume.

I read the first book without being aware of all of the hype. I thought it was plane and quite average; I've read better fanfiction. It's not nearly as "epic" or earth shattering as it's portrayed by the media and the fans, and the main character is obviously designed to be an insert sue, and easy to relate to. It's really a lot like the Forrer Effect. Overall, there was no plot to speak of, and everything was drawn out with a lot of attention paid to mundane, uninteresting detail. The writing overall felt "crowded", lacking concise coherence.The characters had no charm or likeability to them. I have to say I never once thought that the book is promoting abusive relationships or weak women, I think people who constantly emphasise that are overblowing it.

I haven't seen the movies and I don't want to. Given source, I imagine them ridiculously tying to dramatize as many minute events and details, trying to make all of the mundane appear as suspenseful and drawn out.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I have to say I never once thought that the book is promoting abusive relationships or weak women, I think people who constantly emphasise that are overblowing it.

I agree that these arguments are overdone. They are also falling into the trap of telling people how to read or interpret a character when it's fairly subjective what kind of message a character and the relationships among characters may be sending. They are many ways to read or misread a character, event, or situation and most people will simply find something to reinforce their bias or stereotype without evaluating it on its own terms.