Twice in a day? Who would have guessed? | INFJ Forum

Twice in a day? Who would have guessed?

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
The title sounds unconventional enough, so allow me to attempt an explanation. I was running fresh, cool water in my dog's tupperware rectangular-shaped container today and though how neat it would be if I could get him to wet his paws in the container. As I turned the hose away and started thinking how I might accomplish this, he placed his right paw for the first time( 5 year old) in the container. While I looked in amazement, the second paw went in. I splashed a little cool water on his legs, but he started to remove one so I stopped. He remained there for awhile. I thought: who is reading who here?

This afternoon, we spent some time facing each other after evening play time and watering just to bond a bit. I thought how I never trained him to shake(don't care for it). He placed his right paw on my thigh.

They say some K-9s are pretty adept with certain medical field feelings or just knowing when something is not right.
I am wondering if the two of us are just getting there or if there is something more to this. Coincidence? Any guess is just a guess at this point? The paw I could understand, but the water blew my socks off. Have I worked with him so much he just understands me better now? May not can tell for sure, but I think I am beginning to see a new side of my K-9.

Any other dog stories out there similar?

Dogs are amazing at reading subtle cues. I don't ever remember training my dog to come to me just by pointing at my feet and looking her in the eye.
I think I started doing that in exasperation because I don't like yelling at her and I won't yank her around and she's kind of a beastling.

Its interesting how they communicate. For example she doesn't like ice in her bowl. Once, I put four cubes in her bowl on a hot day and then she walked over to the bowl, picked them out one by one and lined them all up in a row in the middle of the kitchen (maybe where I would see them?) and once she had finished doing that, she walked away from her bowl and didn't drink out of it for a while. She can be a diva. I dont know that I've experienced anything like telepathy, but I remember a few times I've woken up to find her staring into my face, and as my eyes opened she jumped on me started playing and cuddling. Maybe she was summoning me awake with her mind lol.

They are capable of so much and possess a sort of intelligence that we do not-- and one that we are just beginning to understand. By scent they can know and alert you to bodily changes that might go undetected, like cancer or low blood sugar. Maybe they communicate or gather infirmation via smell. Maybe some moods and their associated actions and needs manifest via scent and there is an entire language that we don't know about, but that dogs have mastered?

Last edited:
Perhaps he has wanted to put his paws in water to show off for a long time - and your subconscious finally picked it up and set up the situation.

As you say, it might be you who is reading his desires.

The title sounds unconventional enough, so allow me to attempt an explanation. I was running fresh, cool water in my dog's tupperware rectangular-shaped container today and though how neat it would be if I could get him to wet his paws in the container. As I turned the hose away and started thinking how I might accomplish this, he placed his right paw for the first time( 5 year old) in the container. While I looked in amazement, the second paw went in. I splashed a little cool water on his legs, but he started to remove one so I stopped. He remained there for awhile. I thought: who is reading who here?

This afternoon, we spent some time facing each other after evening play time and watering just to bond a bit. I thought how I never trained him to shake(don't care for it). He placed his right paw on my thigh.

They say some K-9s are pretty adept with certain medical field feelings or just knowing when something is not right.
I am wondering if the two of us are just getting there or if there is something more to this. Coincidence? Any guess is just a guess at this point? The paw I could understand, but the water blew my socks off. Have I worked with him so much he just understands me better now? May not can tell for sure, but I think I am beginning to see a new side of my K-9.

Any other dog stories out there similar?

i firmly believe that animals are telepathic. i communicate with them in images rather than words and i believe they do the same.

I think animals communicate with us in more ways than we are aware of. They pick up on the subtlest of cues. Especially after you've known each other for a long time. I'm continually amazed at how my dog can read me when I don't think I've given him anything to read. I guess it's like any other type of close relationship; after a while you know each other so well half the time words aren't even necessary. Maybe he's an INFJ. I never thought about that before - hmm.

Hey just me. This was exciting to read!

It's nice to see you having a surprising and joyful experience from your participation with dogs too. :tongue1:

Over a year ago in my searches on neurobiology and the brain I ran across some research done by Rupert Sheldrake on dogs and then later on cats. He proved dogs know when their owners are coming home and that cats know when they're scheduled to go to the vet.

He says they have telepathic abilities to read their owner's minds. Seems to dovetail nicely with what [MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION] says...

:D Your account illustrates his work very nicely and it was my pleasure to read your story.

[video=youtube;AXIrndpVeG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIrndpVeG0[/video]

We have four cats and one dog. I don't mind three of the cats (one is the spawn of Satan, I'm sure of it). The dog is a mini dachshund but I don't much care for him. However, one of the cats I have a "bond" with. She knows when I'm coming home even if it's not the normal scheduled structure. She'll be sitting with my mom and run to the door a few minutes before I pull in. She'll wait by the door much like a dog would. She'll even sit outside my bedroom door when it's closed and stand guard. We lost two of our other cats last year and I was close with one of those as well. She lived in my room for 5 years without leaving. I never thought cats could be so loyal but has me slightly curious though, is that both of my cats got much more aggressive the more they were with me towards the other cats in the house.

Sorry, not really a dog story (it had a dog in it thought...) but cats rule the internet and thus are always relevant.

I had not heard about animals having telepathic abilities before. But I have often thought that my dog can do this. I've even tested it before when we've been walking side by side with him on a leash. I've called his name but not out loud, just thinking it, and I swear he turns and looks at me when I do it. I thought it was just me but now that guys have brought up animals having telepathy - I'm a believer.