Turning on/off your introversion/extroversion | INFJ Forum

Turning on/off your introversion/extroversion

Switching on your introversion/extroversion intentionally

• I'm pretty much always extroverted so there's no switching there.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bs98r3kjf

Feb 27, 2009
MBTI
none
Enneagram
none
Can anyone here voluntarily switch on/off their introversion and extroversion? Or do most people naturally just shift between the two unintentionally?

I can't switch off the urges, but I can put on a different face when needed.

The latter.

Poll added. Public multiple choice. Please vote. Thanks! :)

Voted for "I do this a lot, but it takes effort"

I'm pretty sure all introverts and extroverts auxiliary function is designed so that we all have a I/E balance. That's what the J/P preference indicates, how an extrovert introverts and how an introvert extroverts. Particularly for I's, we turn to our extroverted auxiliary function when dealing with the outside world- or living our lives. So in effect, a well balanced individual is introverted and extroverted, we just have a preference of the two for our main function that we rely on the most and that which distinguishes our personality.

This doesn't make sense with what I've been told about Introversion/extroversion. Introverts can enjoy crowds, they just lose energy over time in such situations. Extroverts can enjoy alone time, but need to re energize by hanging out with others. You are still Introverted/extroverted either way.

Oops my votes contradict each other. Hope nobody'll notice.

I believe all cognitive functions are abstraction, so every real human belongs in these categories only to a certain extent. We can claim we are more or less extroverted, but it's never a rule; it's still very imprecise. (And... it's maybe useless.)

For example, we assume Ne excludes Ni from the top 4 list, but who knows what these functions really represent (in the body)? I sometimes need to be with people, other times need to be alone. In both cases I get energy by doing what I need, so it's not a fixed rule.

P.S. Did I see Yield? Welcome back, man!

Introverts can enjoy crowds, they just lose energy over time in such situations.
This is my experience. For me it's not about switching modes at all...I am always an introvet. I am an introvert in crowds (with the clock ticking away) and I am an introvert when alone (even this in moderation...I enjoy being with friends, too).

Introverts can enjoy crowds, they just lose energy over time in such situations. Extroverts can enjoy alone time, but need to re energize by hanging out with others.

Agree. This is the main difference between me and my friends [seeing as I've just realized I'm friends with extroverts]. They get energized being around a lot of people whereas I can only enjoy it for so long before I start feeling tired.
Too much people= er.

This is my experience. For me it's not about switching modes at all...I am always an introvet. I am an introvert in crowds (with the clock ticking away) and I am an introvert when alone (even this in moderation...I enjoy being with friends, too).

But if you always use your introverted dominant function in social settings or when interacting with others... it doesn't work. You''ll lock out and not function socially. Which is why introverts have their auxiliry function which is extroverted.

But then again, that is for a well balanced INFJ. If an INFJ has problems socially, they have an underdeveloped Fe?

I switch between one or the other with surprising ease, though I'm quite certain I'm an introvert. Sometimes I'll be out, hanging with my friends in a public place, and be loud, proud and silly. I'll even crave outings like this. But at the end of the day, I'll be back to my more comfortable calm and reserved self; if I'm around people for too long, they start to piss me off.

But if you always use your introverted dominant function in social settings or when interacting with others... it doesn't work. You''ll lock out and not function socially. Which is why introverts have their auxiliry function which is extroverted.

But then again, that is for a well balanced INFJ. If an INFJ has problems socially, they have an underdeveloped Fe?
I think that's the issue. introverted function isn't the same as an introverted person. One can use extroverted functions and enjoy extroverted situations without becoming an extrovert.

Last edited:
I suppose I *can* do it if the situation calls for it. I'm not that good at doing it if I'm surrounded by strangers though.

I think that's the issue. introverted function isn't the same as an introverted person. One can use extroverted functions and enjoy extroverted situations without becoming an extrovert.

Yeah, both I and E's have both introverted and extroverted functions therefore we are both introverted and extroverted for psychic balance or opposition. Jung talks about opposites a lot. We just have a preference for which one we use on a dominant level. Am I right? Which would define us globally as an introvert or extrovert.

So, someone like TDHT has a well developed Fe or even Se, which allows her to be good socially but she is still an introvert when she withdraws from external life or social settings.

Last edited:
But then again, Ni and Fe work in tandem which... throws up a whole mixture of possibilities?

Hmm. What about have a good balance with other extroverted functions? To use myself as an example here, I have a very weak Se, an average Ne, but my Fe and Te scores are very close, my preference being for Fe.

Yeah, you gotta consider all the other functions beside the first four. Bloody hell, I'm confuzzled. It just get's deeper and deeper...

Yeah, both I and E's have both introverted and extroverted functions therefore we are both introverted and extroverted for psychic balance or opposition. Jung talks about opposites a lot. We just have a preference for which one we use on a dominant level. Am I right? Which would define us globally as an introvert or extrovert.

So, someone like TDHT has a well developed Fe or even Se, which allows her to be good socially but she is still an introvert when she withdraws from external life or social settings.
According to Carl Jung, introversion and extroversion refer to the direction of psychic energy. If a person