Turkey Coup Attempt | INFJ Forum

Turkey Coup Attempt

whatever happens will lead to a damaged country which has to try for 30 years to save the country from corruption after this. what happened in Iran and we are still paying the price...

Reactions: Free
Hmm, the pressure cooker there burst well before I thought things would come to a head.

No surprise, save the timing of it all.

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Free and hush
I did not see this happening but then again I have not been paying much attention to Turkey. Whats going on?

Reactions: Free
nobody still knows who really started it but the military has taken over

from the NYT site
"
7:13 pm ETJul 15, 2016Fri Jul 15 2016 19:13:22 GMT-0600 (MDT)
Niraj Chokshi
t_logo_300_black.png

Obama and Kerry Back Turkish Government
President Obama spoke by phone with Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday night, the White House said in a statement.

“The president and secretary agreed that all parties in Turkey should support the democratically-elected government of Turkey, show restraint, and avoid any violence or bloodshed,” the statement read. “The secretary underscored that the State Department will continue to focus on the safety and security of U.S. citizens in Turkey. The president asked the secretary to continue to keep him updated as the situation unfolds.”

6:55 pm ETJul 15, 2016Fri Jul 15 2016 18:55:07 GMT-0600 (MDT)
Niraj Chokshi
t_logo_300_black.png

Ex-Prime Minister: Successful Coup Could Destabilize Region
Photo

Protesters tried to stop tanks in Ankara on Friday.Credit Burhan Ozbilici/Associated Press
In an interview with Al Jazeera English, former Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu warned that a successful coup could destabilize the region.

“Stability of Turkey means stability of many other countries, and the stability of Turkey means the stability of a safe haven of millions of refugees,” Mr. Davutoglu said. “If it is harmed, the domino effect cannot be prevented.”

Mr. Davutoglu repeatedly suggested that the coup was being led merely by a “clique” in the military and said he expected the coup to fail.

“Throughout my life we have seen many attempts by these types of cliques in the army,” he said. “They were not able to succeed for a long time and, after so many years, I am sure we will protect our dignity, our democracy.”

6:52 pm ETJul 15, 2016Fri Jul 15 2016 18:52:01 GMT-0600 (MDT)
Christopher Mele
t_logo_300_black.png

Who Is Fethullah Gulen, and What Is His Role?
Photo

Fethullah Gulen, at home in Pennsylvania in 2014.Credit Selahattin Sevi/Zaman Daily News, via European Pressphoto Agency
The president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, blamed the coup attempt on the work of followers of Fethullah Gulen, an Islamic preacher who lives in exile in Pennsylvania, and who once was an ally of Mr. Erdogan.

Mr. Gulen has for years lived as a recluse at the Golden Generation Worship and Retreat Center, a compound in Saylorsburg, in the Poconos in Pennsylvania.

Turkey Feels Sway of Reclusive Cleric in the U.S.
By DAN BILEFSKY and SEBNEM ARSU

Fethullah Gulen has long advocated a moderate, tolerant brand of Islam, but critics say his movement is persecuting opponents and working toward a conservative Islamic Turkey.

His group, Alliance for Shared Values, had not commented on the coup as of Friday evening. The group describes itself as “an umbrella nonprofit organization serving as a voice for civic, culture and service organizations” across the country.

His movement promotes a version of Islam that embraces science, education and interfaith dialogue, which has earned him millions of followers but also drawn the suspicion of many in Turkey’s secular establishment.

His movement has been feared by some for its ability to mobilize considerable resources and for its influence among decision-makers."

Earlier, Dogan published a statement from the military saying the coup was carried out "to reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated."

Wow. This sounds like something America might want to consider. Restore adherence to the constitution. Make sure the rule of law is obeyed. ..

yes and let's imprison anyone that does not fully voice their acceptance of unbridled capitalism and a belief in the non-existence of racism.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Thats a bit over the top @Stu.

looks like the american media is calling it a failed attempt

To be frank, having the military take out Erdogan would likely only encourage political problems in the future, as others on the fundamentalist side in Turkey would feel like they had to do increasingly crazy shit to get their voices heard and the government would have to start cracking down on the holders of these views before they start to feel justified in violent revolution.

That said, if one were to find a way to disarm the populace that'd work just as well, I guess., and plenty of lives are fucked up by hardcore Islam.

Only a small faction of the military showed for their party. This was poorly planned(whom might one trust) at the best. I live in America. Thing I could not help noticing was the lack of riots and looting. The people came out and stood up for their government. Guess it was easier, without other governments shelling the place, to stop it.

If someone has a better plan, write it down and submit it. Maybe win the Nobel Peace Prize or something...

It's a shame the coup was so poorly planned and organised. Erdogan is an authoritarian narcissist with an inferiority complex who once described Nazi Germany as a prime example of 'effective' government; I'm sure he is jealous. Earlier this year, he tried to force a jail sentence on a German comedian IN HIS OWN COUNTRY - the crime? Writing a satirical poem about him. Angela Merkel refused to intervene and stop the madness from proceeding, and she allowed the courts to file prosecution cases under a 150-year old Prussian law that forbids 'insult to foreign officials'. Is this really the sort of President the country needs? He is giving preferential treatment and immunity to Islam instead of being the secular leader he's supposed to be. Now civilians have been killed and the President will only be giving himself more power and influence as a result of this coup attempt to depose him. I hope Turkey can still be allowed to elect him out of office in the future before he overturns the institutional powers he's been elected to protect.

This almost reminds me of Operation Valkyrie in 1944 (I wrote a thread about it in the history section).

Reactions: aeon
It's a shame the coup was so poorly planned and organised. Erdogan is an authoritarian narcissist with an inferiority complex who once described Nazi Germany as a prime example of 'effective' government; I'm sure he is jealous. Earlier this year, he tried to force a jail sentence on a German comedian IN HIS OWN COUNTRY - the crime? Writing a satirical poem about him. Angela Merkel refused to intervene and stop the madness from proceeding, and she allowed the courts to file prosecution cases under a 150-year old Prussian law that forbids 'insult to foreign officials'. Is this really the sort of President the country needs? He is giving preferential treatment and immunity to Islam instead of being the secular leader he's supposed to be. Now civilians have been killed and the President will only be giving himself more power and influence as a result of this coup attempt to depose him. I hope Turkey can still be allowed to elect him out of office in the future before he overturns the institutional powers he's been elected to protect.

This almost reminds me of Operation Valkyrie in 1944 (I wrote a thread about it in the history section).
He admires nazi Germany? No wonder Obama and Kerry like him.

As much as I'm not a fan of Turkey's president, I'm glad to see this coup appears to have failed. However imperfect the Democratic systems we currently have are (they're abysmal in my view) they're still hugely preferable to this kind of chaos.

Politics at its best involves politicians killing off other politicians.

As much as I'm not a fan of Turkey's president, I'm glad to see this coup appears to have failed. However imperfect the Democratic systems we currently have are (they're abysmal in my view) they're still hugely preferable to this kind of chaos.
Chaos sucks but sometimes its the only path to the change that is needed.

Reactions: aeon and James
I think Churchill also said democracy was the worst form of government, except for all the other types people have tried. On this I am in agreement with his view.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
I think Churchill also said democracy was the worst form of government, except for all the other types people have tried. On this I am in agreement with his view.

yes, but i think it is apt for this situation. erdogan sits heavy on the turkish media, censors the people, and resents pluralism. like putins russia, you cant call turkey a true democracy. therefore the argument that erdogan was elected democratically rings about as true as when first semester philosophy students ponder that hitler was as well.