Triggers | INFJ Forum

Triggers

Spuddy

Community Member
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Today i was walking around in a Wal-Mart store when I passed by shaving section. Now I seen a shaving kit and male hygiene kit that looked like it was marketed for teens who are just starting to "blossom" into the hairy world of manhood. This made me think of my own transformation when i first noticed myself getting to be a hairy bastard, and how when i was little i did not want to grow up. Seeing these kits kinda made me feel sad and made me reflect on the transformation and the feelings you get when you are going through them.

Do things like this happen to anyone else? Could this not even be normal?

Nostalgia gets more common the older you get. And it is especially brutal to INFJs.

You're not normal :)

Oh shush now! Nothing wrong with not being normal :bowl:
---
I sort of understand where you are coming from, and why you felt that way. I occasinally incounter examples of things that cause me to travel back to childhood and cause me to be nostalgic. It is usually accompanied by a bitter:sweet (had to write it like that cause I LOVE that band!) emotion, where I miss it and how it would be great to go back, but how I am so glad to be where I am now, it is hard to describe.

For your scenario though, I don't think I would respond in that way. I was always super excited about growing up and the things relating to it. I have always wanted to be an adult because I just want to be able to do what I want. I can still act like a kid, and I still do. I just can choose what I want without having someone tell me "no". Besides I got excited about shaving (even though I HATE shaving, its annoying). Although, I don't want to be all that hairy, if I start getting chest hair, I might cry :bolt:. Genes, dont faaaaaail me now! :bounce:

hahahaha Nice, I am welcoming the chest hair, I want to be a hairy bastard for some reason. My dad was Russian and my uncles are hairy :D

Yes Indigo i agree shaving is annoying, I am thinking about going electric.

Of course it is, I imagine everyone goes through that?

I had a lot happen during my highschool years, and then immediately after I left to go away to school for 5 years. During that time, I was barely at home and didn't keep in very close contact with people from here. Now I am back, and sometimes SO MANY things remind me of the past because I am seeing them again for the first time. Or someone will mention something from the past. And since the past was so emotionally ridden for me, and some of the things are still present today for me, it's definitely an emotional trip.

hahahaha Nice, I am welcoming the chest hair, I want to be a hairy bastard for some reason. My dad was Russian and my uncles are hairy :D

Yes Indigo i agree shaving is annoying, I am thinking about going electric.

Yeah I use an electric shaver, but I still hate it.

...you WANT to be hairy?! OMGUCRAZY! WHY?! I don't mind it on other people, but I just think it would look bad on me. I already have really hairy monkey hands already anyway, and thaaaaaaats more then enough.

I also realised. Music is the biggest thing for me that will trip memories like this. Usually when I find new music, I play it to death for months, then don't listen to it for a while (usually). The current song that stands out in my mind is "Ladytron - Commadore Rock". I always listened to it on the bus to school near the end of my Junior year of highschool durring my AP Chemistry days. When I listen to that song, that memory usually trips. I feel a mix of sadness that that time is gone, it was ardous and diffucalt, but a very important time of my life and very succesful as well. So I am happy at the same time. Nostalgia has its own subset of emotions for me, but I don't have words for them as usual.

And it is especially brutal to INFJs.

How so? Thought this kind of thing was most closely associated with Si.

Yessir Indigo I want to be hairy lol

How so? Thought this kind of thing was most closely associated with Si.

Maybe cause of the feeling part? heheh i am not sure though.

but WHY?! lol, I still say your crazy, and mabye a bit weird! (but who am I to talk).

See, I could see this being strong for Si because nostalgia is usually tiggered by sensory situations. I know they usually are for me. However, INFJ's are the most introspective type (I think) and because of that, nostalgia would have a POWERFUL effect on them. Again, I know this does for me as well. Mabye it would be more common for an Si, but for an INFJ it would be much stronger.

hahah Indigo, i am not sure, Just cause I think it looks cool? hahaah I am not totally sure.

hahah Indigo, i am not sure, Just cause I think it looks cool? hahaah I am not totally sure.

Mabye it is just another one of those INFJ "I completly understand why, but I can't explain it. I just know." things. :tongue1:

Gotta agree I am listening to a song right now that I used to listen to back in the day and it brings me straight back to good times. Dang i miss those times. :(

Dunno. I just know that nostalgia can be like crack cocaine to NF types.

Really? I can't stand that function, or any S function.

Really? I can't stand that function, or any S function.

It's weird. I'm fairly low on S too, but nostalgia always gets me and it takes me down hard. I think its because its an idealized longing for the past, not so much a reliving of the past as Si tends to do. In fact, I think Si would probably be the cure for nostalgia, not the cause.

I find it good to reflect on the past, you know it lets me think about how far along I have moved, for better or for worse.

It's weird. I'm fairly low on S too, but nostalgia always gets me and it takes me down hard. I think its because its an idealized longing for the past, not so much a reliving of the past as Si tends to do. In fact, I think Si would probably be the cure for nostalgia, not the cause.

I agree, Si and Se are like nonexsistant for me. So it makes sense that it would be a cure if you will.

I find it good to reflect on the past, you know it lets me think about how far along I have moved, for better or for worse.

*nod* agreed.