Traveling with pets on planes. | INFJ Forum

Traveling with pets on planes.

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
So I just found out I'll be moving to Oregon and the thing that has me most worried is putting my cat in a carrier for 8 hours and moving her through the airport and then on a plane. She will be in the cabin with me but she is startled easily these days.

Anyway I created this thread to see if anyone else here has experience with this type of traveling. Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.

@Eventhorizon

I've traveled with my kitties on planes before back and forth between LA and Chicago. I hope what I can share can be of some value to you.

My first time doing this was when I only had one kitty, and she was very skittish even on a good day. She trusted only me, so of course I wanted her in the cabin with me. I was young and stupid and vastly unaware of the technicalities of traveling with a "carry-on" pet and had to scramble last minute to get everything done. I'm sure you're already doing your research on this, as evidenced by this thread, but here you go anyway.

•The airline needed a vet check that she was ok to travel and was in good health, no communicable diseases, etc. in order to be in the cabin of the plane. I had to present this paperwork upon check in and again before boarding.

•Airline security will require you to remove her from her carrier, place the carrier through xray, and while holding her, walk through the metal detector/ scanner or whatever security measures your airport has. Easier said than done with people clamoring about that will frighten her. Since my girl was skittish anyway, I bought a harness to securely and safely hold her amidst all those people taking their shoes off, the beeping of the security wands and scanners, and just the general elevated noise that comes when so many people are in a single place.

•Consider having a vet give her a mild sedative before the flight to help keep her calm during security check in and the flight itself.

•Pack baby wipes for any accidents, and being along a small plastic bowl so you can get bottled water from the attendants. Also, a small towel or blanket that has both your scents on it (sleep with it a couple days) to place in her carrier will help to soothe her.

•When you're able to move about the cabin, ask the attendants of it'll be ok if she sits in your lap. I was able to keep my hand in the carrier to pet and comfort her the entire trip.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind. And congrats!

@Eventhorizon

I've traveled with my kitties on planes before back and forth between LA and Chicago. I hope what I can share can be of some value to you.

My first time doing this was when I only had one kitty, and she was very skittish even on a good day. She trusted only me, so of course I wanted her in the cabin with me. I was young and stupid and vastly unaware of the technicalities of traveling with a "carry-on" pet and had to scramble last minute to get everything done. I'm sure you're already doing your research on this, as evidenced by this thread, but here you go anyway.

•The airline needed a vet check that she was ok to travel and was in good health, no communicable diseases, etc. in order to be in the cabin of the plane. I had to present this paperwork upon check in and again before boarding.

•Airline security will require you to remove her from her carrier, place the carrier through xray, and while holding her, walk through the metal detector/ scanner or whatever security measures your airport has. Easier said than done with people clamoring about that will frighten her. Since my girl was skittish anyway, I bought a harness to securely and safely hold her amidst all those people taking their shoes off, the beeping of the security wands and scanners, and just the general elevated noise that comes when so many people are in a single place.

•Consider having a vet give her a mild sedative before the flight to help keep her calm during security check in and the flight itself.

•Pack baby wipes for any accidents, and being along a small plastic bowl so you can get bottled water from the attendants. Also, a small towel or blanket that has both your scents on it (sleep with it a couple days) to place in her carrier will help to soothe her.

•When you're able to move about the cabin, ask the attendants of it'll be ok if she sits in your lap. I was able to keep my hand in the carrier to pet and comfort her the entire trip.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind. And congrats!
Thanks, very helpful information.

Tough situation. I don't want a pet soon for the same reason I don't want to be a parent soon, it's a lot of additional work. To be the parent of a human or an animal is a luxury. At the moment, I eschew luxuries in favor of receiving my gratification later.

Your vet can give you medication that will help your kitty travel more peacefully.

@Free gave a lot of information I supposed I only guessed at. The truth is I have the option of driving across country with her or flying. Both I don't look forward to but my knowledge of the cat indicates that while it poseseses its own set of issues, driving with her simply seems to make the better option. I did not envision initially standing in the scanner with her. If I traveled with her enough she would get used to it and it would be easier but the initial experience .... all the people...the machine...
Anyway I'll be driving with her.

Last edited:
Tough situation. I don't want a pet soon for the same reason I don't want to be a parent soon, it's a lot of additional work. To be the parent of a human or an animal is a luxury. At the moment, I eschew luxuries in favor of receiving my gratification later.
Pets are a mixed bag. If you are lucky you form a bond. But then down the line the loss can be ...difficult to say the least. I lost a cat, waited 8 years to get another and then got one more to keep her company. That second cat died suddenly one day and just thinking about it has an effect on me that's difficult to explain but I think it's a series of safeguards that kick in to cover up the trauma of it.
I'll not be getting another pet after this cat that's become part of my family is gone. I'm just not a person that deals with loss well.

Anyway I'll be driving with her.
giphy.gif

At the moment, I eschew luxuries in favor of receiving my gratification later.

What if there isn't a later on. Sorry to be morbid, a few days I learnt that someone I worked with briefly died in a sudden road accident. It was such a shock, I felt a shiver all through me. She was very young. We never know what may happen. I don't think it's a bad thing to have ambition but also the tomorrow we think may happen may never come,... sobering thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren and James
Pets are a mixed bag. If you are lucky you form a bond. But then down the line the loss can be ...difficult to say the least. I lost a cat, waited 8 years to get another and then got one more to keep her company. That second cat died suddenly one day and just thinking about it has an effect on me that's difficult to explain but I think it's a series of safeguards that kick in to cover up the trauma of it.
I'll not be getting another pet after this cat that's become part of my family is gone. I'm just not a person that deals with loss well.

I relate.

I'm glad you're driving her. I would, too.

Reactions: Ren and James
Something about @Eventhorizon driving to the west coast with a cat is just freaking adorable as shit. Soon you'll be breathing that toxic hippie inducing volcanic gas and you'll be voting liberal across the board!

Lolol

In order to keep from creating a new thread I will update this one with stops and thoughts while on the road. My current plan is to head out early on the 24th with the cat. I'll be driving around 10 hrs a day and clocking in about 600 miles a day. I do not look forward to this. I am actually trying to anticipate when I will go insane. Day 1, day 2... 30 miles from my destination?
My biggest worry is the cat. If it were just me I would be fine. But things like "what if the car breaks down" become so much bigger with the cat in tow.
Anyway I guess we'll see where I am at on the 24th.

In order to keep from creating a new thread I will update this one with stops and thoughts while on the road. My current plan is to head out early on the 24th with the cat. I'll be driving around 10 hrs a day and clocking in about 600 miles a day. I do not look forward to this. I am actually trying to anticipate when I will go insane. Day 1, day 2... 30 miles from my destination?
My biggest worry is the cat. If it were just me I would be fine. But things like "what if the car breaks down" become so much bigger with the cat in tow.
Anyway I guess we'll see where I am at on the 24th.
As someone who has done a ton of cross country driving with animals (dogs not cats), I learned to keep my goals loose. Like be ready to stop for the night if you must even you don't reach your day's mile marker. Not worth stressing an animal and yourself out. It's gotta be harder with cats though because I could always walk my dogs around service areas and such.
Edit: Cross, not crossing.

At first glance I thought this thread was called, “Traveling With Pants On Planes.” lol EH I really hope you wear pants and not just on planes!

At first glance I thought this thread was called, “Traveling With Pants On Planes.” lol EH I really hope you wear pants and not just on planes!
I'd like to think I continue to get to do so.

632 miles today. Brutal. There she is in Ohio. Poor girl she laid down the whole trip. She's doing much better in the hotel room though.20171024_125936.jpg

632 miles today. Brutal. There she is in Ohio. Poor girl she laid down the whole trip. She's doing much better in the hotel room though.View attachment 37946
I have been looking for my baby for days now only to find out (on the forum no less) that she’s with you! This is unacceptable. :rage:

632 miles today. Brutal. There she is in Ohio. Poor girl she laid down the whole trip. She's doing much better in the hotel room though.View attachment 37946
Awww, she looks like she's holding up well. I sincerely hope you both have a safe journey! Keep us updated.:smilecat:

As an aside, I drove from IL to CA in a moving van that only had the front cab and a perfectly kitty sized hole in the floor. My poor kitties had to ride in their carriers the entire time. Though I stopped often at rest stops and let them stretch their legs on a harness, and let them roam the hotel room free, it still must have been awful for them. You did a damn good job making her comfortable! You have served your queen well.

Last edited: