Traits of effective manager / leaders | INFJ Forum

Traits of effective manager / leaders

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
In your opinion, what qualities or traits make an effective manager?

In your opinion, what qualities or traits make an effective leader?

as a manager. . one that sucks at it. . I look forward to what folks have to say. . personally, I think the world is not ready for INFJ managers. .

- ability to guide people
- decisiveness
- seeing the big picture instead of trying to micromanage people and situations, and ability to delegate

Reactions: Gaze
Democratic leadership style with a referent/personal power base (the ability to empower and inspire others).

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves. --Lao Tzu

-Know how to run a business. (Be familiar with accounting and economics).
-Know the systems that have been set up in a company.
-Can be a dick when you have too.
-Rewards people when they deserve it.
-Calls people out on their BS.
-Knows when they're right/wrong.
-Sees a lot of different sides to issues.
-People person.

I think a good example of who I think would make a good manager/business owner is actually Eric Cartman. No lies.

Effective, clear communication (this includes knowing personal abilities and those of your employees, as well as chemistry between groups) and a working knowledge of one's craft. Combine the two to set and meet goals.
Simple in theory, not so much in practice.

-Know how to run a business. (Be familiar with accounting and economics).
-Know the systems that have been set up in a company.
-Can be a dick when you have too.
-Rewards people when they deserve it.
-Calls people out on their BS.
-Knows when they're right/wrong.
-Sees a lot of different sides to issues.
-People person.

I think a good example of who I think would make a good manager/business owner is actually Eric Cartman. No lies.

i agree, even with eric cartman, lol!

• Someone who makes their own decisions, right or wrong, stands by them and takes full accountability for them and the staff working with them.
  • A person that supports the staff they work with without resorting to undermining their abilities or threatening them with disciplinary actions.
  • Someone who realizes the staff they work with are not "theirs" and does not refer to them as "their staff" - as if the people are a possession.
  • And it might sound cliche, but someone who leads by example (especially if it isn't a pleasant job).
Most other things they teach about business management can be picked up by a trained monkey. These are the qualities though, that actually make a manager a real manager, not just a job title.

Reactions: hush and Gaze
I have been a manager for over a decade, and while I hate dealing with the mundane issues of customers, it was not until I discovered my passion for psychology that I really took the next step in management and leader ship. In my current company I have climbed the “ladder” faster than any of the other recruits hired when I was hired, I have produced greater results than any of them and have been selected for promotion over the others. The key to successful management is the staff, here a few things you can do improve your experience

1.Never give negative criticism, always work off positive or constructive criticism, and end every conversation with a positive remark about the employee.

2.Listen to your staff, they are people with real problems, just like you, you are more than their boss, you are their leader and their counsoler.

3.Lead by example, so many managers fail to set the standard and just expect the staff to do all the work, share in their work, and show them you can work with them, at their level.

4.Remember they are the reason you are successful or not, you will achieve better results if you work for them instead of them working for you, what can you do to help your staff today?

5. Not everybody works for intrinsic motivation, some people do it to improve who they are, find these people and make them key members of your staff, lean on them when you need it, and they will carry the weight needed, and will be grateful for the opportunity to showcase their skills.

Last edited:
^This^
Hard for me to add to what Forensic1104 said, because I subscribe to the same basic philosophy.

In some respects, I think an INFJ can be an excellent manager of people since we tend to be a little more in tune with people in general.
Basically, my management style is to manage by not managing. In other words don't micro manage.

Management has come to mean control to many people. If we cannot control something or someone, how can we manage it? But managing is all about relationships, and relationships cannot be controlled.
What worked back in in Henry Ford's day does not work today. Yet too many managers feel they need to be dictators, task masters. I always look at these types as being insecure. They need to feel power over others to validate themselves.
Employees respond in kind by using sabotage, being late, calling in sick, or flat out quitting at lunch time and never coming back.

I became a manager back in the mid 90's. There was a learning curve, and found that trying to manage by doing things the way I thought my bosses would want me to do them didn't work. I had to be myself, do things that felt right to me. What did I respond to myself over the years?
Once I found my way, employees paid it back with productivity and loyalty.

1. Set the goals & expectations. Make sure employees understand what needs to be done and by when.
If you don't make yourself clear, how can you come down on them when they don't do what you wanted?

2. Let them decide how best to do their job, and be open to thier ideas. As long as the work is done in a quality and timely manner does it really matter how they do it? I believe the person actually doing the work will figure out how best to do it.

3. Be approachable. You don't want people to feel they need to hide things from you.

4. When having to be critical, frame it in a way that offers encouragement to do better in the future.

5. I am no more important then anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: hush and Gaze
I am an INFJ looking to move into management in the near future. Having not done it before, I fully expect to fall on my face a couple of times before getting into a groove.

I can see myself leading a team of people to success. Providing the correct incentives, putting value into the work, etc.

I actually dont see managers as leaders, I see them as organizers. I think that leaders come up with new ideas and managers are just middlemen following orders. However managers could be leaders, but more like one not being used to full potential.