To Remember, or to Forget? | INFJ Forum

To Remember, or to Forget?

Russ84

Community Member
Jun 18, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
If you had the opportunity to permanently erase your memories of someone, for whatever reason, would you? For what reasons would you make this choice?

Nope, never for no one. There is life experience to be gained no matter how good or bad it is from knowing someone. To remove the memory of the person that lead to learning those lessons, would result in the removal of the meaning of it. That to me is dishonesty to the person at hand from what could be gained.

This is the plot of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Good movie and I don't think that I would erase someone from my memories.

This is the second thread I've seen like this. :)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GiLxkDK8sI"]YouTube - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind Trailer[/ame]

Great movie. Haven't seen it in awhile though. I think Jim Carey regrets it. I wouldn't.. I wouldn't..

Nah, cause by forgetting someone you'd also forget what you learnt from them

If you had the opportunity to permanently erase your memories of someone, for whatever reason, would you? For what reasons would you make this choice?

If I could I would erase memories of my Sixth Form Chemistry teacher. He deliberately sabotaged what was otherwise a perfect high school experience for me. I don't blame him entirely, he had mental issues and the school was irresponsible but I understand why they didn't support me. I think it was unjust but I understood the bind they found themselves in. Yes, I would erase him from my memory because I can't look back at that year without feeling intense anger and hatred. The only lesson I learned, was that your reputation, no matter how stellar, means absolutely nothing if someone with more power than you decides to make your life a living hell. I ran into him again in uni. My classmates (same from HS) were all happy to see him but I wished the earth would have opened and swallowed him whole.

No, I would not.

cheers,
Ian

my ex-fiance because he hurt me so much and so many times...

when I think about him I still get angry. he hacked into my msn account ansd sent personal files of mine to all of my contacts and did so much more....

The only lesson I learned, was that your reputation, no matter how stellar, means absolutely nothing if someone with more power than you decides to make your life a living hell.

That

Reactions: not sure
Oh my list of people to forget is very very long. Wouldn't want to break the forums now, would I? Perhaps, perhaps not :m100: Although people aren't all I'd choose to willfully forget. Sadly, the harder I try to forget, the more I remember and... well, yes.

Oh I have a very long list of people who I am angry at who have wronged me in some way, but all of this is my life experience, and I wouldn't be the person I am without those experiences, and they have shaped me in some small way into the woman I am today, hense I wouldn't want to lose those memories.

and most of those people I have forgiven in time to the extent of not caring about what they have done to me, or so on, however this is not the case with my ex-fiance.

I don't think I would.

There are a lot of people I wish I would never have to see or speak to again, though.

Then I'd have to scrap all of my elaborate plans for revenge.

Reactions: Nixie
If you had the opportunity to permanently erase your memories of someone, for whatever reason, would you?

Hmm, yes. I would erase the memories I have of people who are taking up space in my mind. Like a person I remember from my P.E. class who hasn't influenced me or played a significant role in my life. They are just taking up space in my mind... Or people who bump into me and don't say excuse me. Useless memories of them that I don't need since those are the only memories I have of them.

For what reasons would you make this choice?

I randomly remember them and I am angered or feel anxiety recalling my encounters with them.

I have thought of this before. I like your title to remember or forget. I think I do the opposite now. I forget to remember. Once I put the past into perspective I forget it and remembering it is neither good or bad it just is now. I think the more you accept yourself the less you will hold on to bad things that happened to you. It's the attachment to feelings that make experiences good or bad.That is how it seems to me anyway...

No never..I dont even need to think about this question. My memories, no matter how painful, brutal, or happy are mine, I will keep them because I have learned something from everyone of them. I wouldnt be me with out them.

Right now, no. There was 1 person who almost drove me to suicide at times, or I felt upset enough about that it hindered me from being productive in any way. During those moments, it may have very well been the rational decision to erase them from my mind. Also, ppl with PTSD definitely would be better off erasing certain memories.

maybe
people impact us beyond our memories
I forgot certain people for most of my life but I was still horridly fucked up from what they did to me
so I dont know
I would like to forget everything

No, I suppose for the sake of experience I wouldn't. I have let my past go, but there are certain people who I could have done without.