IndigoSensor

Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
I propose the addition of 3 letters to MBTI types, H, L, and M. this would be the fifth letter position. So for example you could have ISTPH as a possible type. Here is my theory behind it.

Type is based off of the cognitive functions. However, there are 8 of them total, and only four are distinct for a certain type in a certain order. However the other four functions are not accounted for. From what I have noticed, it is these four other functions that create the inner differences within one specific type. Within these four shadow functions as they are called, I have noticed a pattern within them. It is often that the person will either lean on either their 5th and 6th shadow function, or their 7th or 8th shadow function (it is also possible that there is no lean, which is the third extension, more on that later). The effects of this, causes the other four letters to shift in different ways.

Just for some clarity. When I say the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th shadow function, I am referring to the total order for a type. I will use ESFP as an example. Their order would be as follows: Se>Fi>Te>Ni>Si>Fe>Ti>Ne. This is the ideal case that nearly no one ever possesses. Note that Se would be first; Fi would be second, and so on and so forth.

I will now describe each of the letters I propose:

L : Lowering Shadow.
The L letter denotes a lean on the 5th and 6th shadow function. For types of this, it causes a lowering of their P/J access. The reason being that the functions in this position, combine to form a set counter to the types letter. As an example an INTPL would in theory lean on Ni/Te, a judging combination. Therefore, their P score would drop off. Also, this often causes a heightening of N and T, as there is the addition of extra N and T element. I use the term lowering as it lowers the distinction within a type by a lot. I/E can be blurred if the i or e function has a disparity in overall use.

H : Heightening Shadow.
The H letter denotes a lean on the 7th and 8th shadow function. This is sort of the reverse effect of L. This causes a rise in the J/P axis, and a lowering of the mid two letters. Again, as an example an ENFJH would lean on Te/Si, a judging combination. Causing a rise in the apparent J score, and a drop in apparent N and F score, due to added S and T element to the type. This causes slight nondistinction within a type, but not to the extent of L. I/E can be blurred if the i or e function has a disparity in overall use.

M : Midline Shadow.
The M letter denotes either no lean, or an unclear lean of shadow functions. This in essence fills out the other two. It is common that a person will lean on a certain shadow set, but they will not always do so. You could in essence call this the "wild type". M would have the lowest level of nondistinction between types, and could be considered the "purist".

So what would be the point of all this. It explains the differences that are pretty obvious within a type, and it could help sort out a person's type more easily. You might think by the addition of another letter it would make things more difficult. This letter arises out of the preexisting letters, and also emerges from the cognitive functions. This of course jumps the number of types up to 48, but compared to the 7 billion people on the planet, that isn

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Very nicely put Indigo and this theory does indeed hold a lot of truth. I have also noticed the patterns you mentioned such as the fact that many INFJ's here have strong preferences for the NF functions and such INFJ's usually have borderline J/P scores which is why I believe many INFJ's think they are INFP's and the same goes for all other NF types. Now there are those who lean on the other 2 shadow functions but I believe are quite rare occurrences as NF's tend to want to develop all their intuitive an feeling functions, however, as seen by you and perhaps me this is not always the case and indeed there are those who have a preference towards the other 2 shadow functions, I have also noticed the fact that such N and F scores tend to be lower. Though I personally don't fit quite well in that as I am an NJ variant, my intuition has always been quite strong yet I lean on this 2 functions, which I really don't know how to explain such thing though I do fit the pattern of a strong J and weak F. This is indeed a very nice addition as people with said different preferences can be very different even among the same type. Yet I feel that this only adds a bit more to the puzzle, there's still so many factors which are not taken into account by the MBTI.

I would suggest using X or * instead of M as X or * is traditionally used when the person in question is unsure of their type for example: INXP or IXFP.

Sits back with some popcorn and waits for an IS and VH discussion regarding the new theory proposition.

Well, this definitely makes sense to me, I'm an INFJL for sure. Do you think that this fifth letter is as permanent as the others? Or do you think it is more apt to change? Honestly it does seem pretty fixed to me, so I would agree that your idea is pretty legit, well done.

This would explain my testing as INFJ, INFP, INTJ, INTP at various times, the only constants being INXX. I propose also that type is more fluid than the theory would have us believe.

Sits back with some popcorn and waits for an IS and VH discussion regarding the new theory proposition.

Hehe, we actually had a very LONG discussion(argument, heh) over this idea and his last night.

In a nutshell, I like my boxes, he likes his fluids. :becky:

So is this modifier you're proposing acting on the ideal hierarchy of cognitive functions for a given type?

And does that mean that our MBTI type has to be firmly established before the fifth letter can be appended?

Hehe, we actually had a very LONG discussion(argument, heh) over this idea and his last night.

In a nutshell, I like my boxes, he likes his fluids. :becky:

...and aside from the box / fluid approaches, Indigo and I agree almost completely about the direction of these theories. Sorry to anyone who was making popcorn. Hehe.

So is this modifier you're proposing acting on the ideal hierarchy of cognitive functions for a given type?

And does that mean that our MBTI type has to be firmly established before the fifth letter can be appended?

kinda, they can almost be done in tandem. It can be extracted easier from the persons cognitive function order.

And this isn't a totally solid theory yet. I still have many things I will have to add and edit over time. I haven't done so yet because it would be too much info to take in.

Indigo, great theory.

As an aside, since typology is based on preference, I think there should also be accounting for sexual preference.

Eh, I am not so sure about including sexual prefrence. Reason being is it largely has no effect on personality. It does have an effect, but it is pretty minimal.

Well, I think they are both interesting theories. I'm just thinking about how we could put them to the test on these forums. You two should get together to invent a study proposal to test your hypotheses. Maybe just a population graph, and look for less people on M athan L and H?

How might this theory relate to the Archetype and Shadow Archetype view? The reason I ask is that resolving INFJ and INFP for me is easiest when I think about the archetype theory. I definitely know what my Hero and Ideal Child and Ideal parent types are, and those clearly lean INFJ. I had more trouble interpreting shadow archetypes.

Last edited:
I know, this is actually really interesting.I was totally going to take one of those cognitive functions test because i'm a bit all over the place in terms of function order to see how this would fit me. i'll ponder this more

Ponder away :becky:

As I said before I will edit this at a later date and refine it. This is just the core skeleton of it. I need to include variations involved (which will not add letters though). Such as having one 7th/8th function and one 5th/6th function heightend.