Thoughts on a cliche | INFJ Forum

Thoughts on a cliche

"There's nothing wrong with a little friendly competition."

Thoughts?
Heraclitus, the penultimate pre-Socratic postulated that only strife truly exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet
sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you

Tellingly the latter part of this cliche ... "call me this and call me that and call yourself a dirty rat".... seems to suggest that the words of others have not the power to hurt until or unless they are internalized but the listener. This is a very Buddhist concept, the idea that the world, and our place in it, is purely determined by our thoughts.

Reactions: Sandie33
I prefer the remix:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will sting forever

Words hurt too.
"There's nothing wrong with a little friendly competition."

Thoughts?
I agree. Healthy competition can really help stimulate progress.

Tellingly the latter part of this cliche ... "call me this and call me that and call yourself a dirty rat".... seems to suggest that the words of others have not the power to hurt until or unless they are internalized but the listener. This is a very Buddhist concept, the idea that the world, and our place in it, is purely determined by our thoughts.
I think that's true in a way but you can't deny the damaging effect words can have, it's only really true if you don't validate the person saying them...then what the hell, say what they like.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Stu
Aren't 'friendly' and 'competition' oxymoron's?
I prefer competing with myself...I get phased competing with others.

I'm trying to think of another good cliché...there are hundreds of them.

In many many ways those who are close compete and struggle against each other to each other's satisfaction.

In many many ways those who are close compete and struggle against each other to each other's satisfaction.
and enjoy it.

Reactions: Stu
How would friendly and competition be oxymorons? I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years and there was never any animosity that was purely competition driven.

Reactions: Littlelissa and Stu
How would friendly and competition be oxymorons? I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years and there was never any animosity that was purely competition driven.
Sportsmanship and being good and serious about something can make competitiveness more gentlemanly I think. Wow, that's pretty cool, do you still swim now. I love swimming, it always makes me feel human again.

I think maybe in schools for example it maybe isn't so good. But I guess it depends on the individual child, some kids are motivated by it.

Reactions: Stu
Not being able to compete as a kid in school can lead to not trying at all. Kids are highly competitive whether they compete or not. There are tons of kids who are so afraid of not "being good" that they simply will not try.
Perhaps we tend to over exult the winners....

OK question for you @Jet...think of a competitive situation you haven't enjoyed.

Sportsmanship and being good and serious about something can make competitiveness more gentlemanly I think. Wow, that's pretty cool, do you still swim now. I love swimming, it always makes me feel human again.

I think maybe in schools for example it maybe isn't so good. But I guess it depends on the individual child, some kids are motivated by it.
I think some people are just born competitive (I also have some disdain for the concept of gentlemen and chivalry but hats n aside).

I don't swim at all regularly anymore sadly. I was a distance freestyler and butterflyer.

I think some people are just born competitive (I also have some disdain for the concept of gentlemen and chivalry but hats n aside).

I don't swim at all regularly anymore sadly. I was a distance freestyler and butterflyer.
Not even for pleasure/fun?

That's probably an English way of putting things... there's a 'good winner' kind of ethos (maybe it's an American thing too, I don't know, probably).

OK question for you @Jet...think of a competitive situation you haven't enjoyed.
I honestly can't think of one.

And sadly I don't have time for pleasure or fun activities that don't involve my kids these days.

That's probably an English way of putting things... there's a 'good winner' kind of ethos (maybe it's an American thing too, I don't know, probably).
Good sportsmanship. Not being a sore loser.

I honestly can't think of one.

And sadly I don't have time for pleasure or fun activities that don't involve my kids these days.
I put my kids on a swim team and then swam when they were working out, i have not stopped but they did