Thoughts about death

Ria

Snow White over the ocean
Aug 18, 2009
MBTI
INFJ.
Enneagram
4 x 6 (I think).
I am not afraid of death in the sense that I'm not scared of what lies beyond.

I do feel fear about leaving my daughters behind though, although I do believe that I will still be with them.

I am more curious about the afterlife, and I yearn to belong to energy and to perhaps be part of a protective, angelic force for life in this realm...

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: only1cake
I'm pretty much the opposite. I am scared about what lies beyond. That is probably the only thing that has kept me alive through sometimes in my life. I don't really have anyone that would be hugely affected by my death though, so I'm not worried about that.

Anyway, haven't you ever thought, if even just for a moment, what if those Christians were right???

edit: Morning M! :)

I'm pretty much the opposite. I am scared about what lies beyond. That is probably the only thing that has kept me alive through sometimes in my life. I don't really have anyone that would be hugely affected by my death though, so I'm not worried about that.

Anyway, haven't you ever thought, if even just for a moment, what if those Christians were right???

Hey good morning Jenn!

Well, I have wondered if I would go to heaven or to hell, and if I had to choose which place I'd end up in, it would likely be in heaven. I do think I have a lot of love inside me...

btw, if u died, I'd miss you, so there :p lol

I'm not afraid of death. I just hope the events that lead up to it won't hurt too much, and of course there is the persistent sadness of those who will be left behind, just as I have been left behind by those who went before me.
I am reassured that it is one thing in life that I have no control over, and in that respect I view death as a blessing - a gift of certainty - perhaps the only thing in life I can have absolute trust in. it is also the one thing that unites all living creatures. We all have the same outcome to life, regardless of our differences, and that knowedge, once accepted leads only to compassion and inner peace.

Hey good morning Jenn!

Well, I have wondered if I would go to heaven or to hell, and if I had to choose which place I'd end up in, it would likely be in heaven. I do think I have a lot of love inside me...

btw, if u died, I'd miss you, so there :p lol

Lol, thank you, I know I would be missed by a few, but I mean I have no one that needs me, or would miss me like children would miss their mother.

You mean there is a question about whether you would rather heaven or hell?

I know I don't want to die. Not yet. I don't want anyone around me to die either. The permanency of death scares me, the fact that it cannot be revoked. I'm not too fond of thinking about how much it would hurt, either. As for what's beyond death.. we'll see when we get there, I suppose. I'm guessing it's a lot like being in a deep, dreamless sleep, where you don't notice time passing, and you don't really experience anything. I have little faith in heaven or spirits or anything like that, I think they're human constructions used to explain what we can't explain, the permanent loss of consciousness.

I look at death as another birth. Before I was born I had no idea I could fly from London to New York, or study anthropology, or play Monopoly, or view images from Hubble, or walk the beach! Unimaginable!!! I sometimes wonder if my image of death is similarly limited.

It is a door, one we all must journey through. Yes, it is difficult thinking of leaving loved ones behind, but as we observe each day, people do heal and they do move on. There is much of us we can leave them, though, and that we can do now. Time...baking cookies, riding bikes, reading books, acting silly...this is what generates the fond memories and imprints that stay with them forever, even as we go on to continue our great adventure!!

Reactions: Moxie
Another thought, that even for the possibility that hell did exist (in the traditional sense of hell as burning for eternity or whatever) why wouldn't everyone at least seek to find out for sure if God does exist? It is my personal opinion, and I hope I don't step on any toes here, that people wont even venture there because they want to continue doing those things that are against the bible. It is the easier softer way.

I believe that the afterlife is a spiritual realm that prepares us to go on to the next life. The only fear about death I have is not accomplishing what I am here to do.

Reactions: NeverAmI
A fool says "I know," a wise man says "I wonder."

I think we all seek, and are seeking. The pursuit is what is truly important.

Reactions: Grasshopper
Ay, There's The Rub

^ "ay, there's the rub" (http://www.artofeurope.com/shakespeare/sha8.htm)

I don't believe death is the end. For most religions it isn't. For science... Well, I'll just say that medical science hasn't conquered death yet. It is in essence their holy grail, but most have just given up searching. It'll truely be a great day in science when they do conquer death.

Death isn't to be feared. I believe the afterlife will be far more wonderful for most than they know or believe.

Reactions: Grasshopper
My Aunt is a nun and a recovering alcoholic says this: (it is a quote from another unknown source)

"Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have been there"(and back- She added this bit to it)

I believe that the afterlife is a spiritual realm that prepares us to go on to the next life. The only fear about death I have is not accomplishing what I am here to do.

x2

I believe this too. I am not fully developed in my opinions about the afterlife, but I believe God is there, and I do believe in human reincarnation. Not so sure about animals, plants, etc. They have a life force for sure, but do they go to the same realm/dimension as us? No idea.

Last edited:
x2

I believe this too. I am not fully developed in my opinions about the afterlife, but I believe God is there, and I do believe in human reincarnation. Not so sure about animals, plants, etc. They have a life force for sure, but do they go to the same realm/dimension as us? No idea.

I have a feeling that in the afterlife....the categorization of humans, animals, etc diminish and everything is regarded as living energy....

I'm not afraid of death. I just hope the events that lead up to it won't hurt too much, and of course there is the persistent sadness of those who will be left behind, just as I have been left behind by those who went before me.
I am reassured that it is one thing in life that I have no control over, and in that respect I view death as a blessing - a gift of certainty - perhaps the only thing in life I can have absolute trust in. it is also the one thing that unites all living creatures. We all have the same outcome to life, regardless of our differences, and that knowedge, once accepted leads only to compassion and inner peace.

THIS.

Thank you Helpful Elf (you really are helpful)! I didn't have the words for this, but now if someone asks me about death I might be able to explain a bit and not think I'm a total weirdo (well..). =)

I am not afraid of death. I am actually more afraid of being elderly.

I'm not afraid of death, I believe there will be a whole new world of possibilities and experiences waiting for me. I do, however, think I have alot more to experience in this lifetime. I'm not ready to face death yet, but if it were to come I wouldn't be scared.

The thought of death doesn't bother me, it's the 'when' that bothers me. Why do I have to put up with tomorrow, when I might die the next day? Grieving is hard though, and when I die, I'd like to stick around and help my loved ones get through it.

Death means you're finished with things for this time, and finishing things makes me feel good. Just wish there was a progress meter of sorts somewhere so you could wrap things up tidily before going.

At the same time, it can be painful for those left behind when someone leaves. If only there was an easy way to convince them that you're still around - just out of touch with them for awhile, as if on a long ocean voyage.

I think everything is going to be ok in the end. We just worry too much.