Those 3 words.

TigersGoRAWR

Community Member
Jan 12, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Type 2 so/sp/sx
I was thinking back today on my past few months at school, and I remembered a conversation a guy in my class and I were having a while back....While he was talking, he was texting about... 5 different girls. One of them, he apparently didn't even like. Then, to be "cool" he said to me;

"I know, Im gonna put I Love You! at the end of this text, I don't even like her but what ever...". He also put several x's on the end of that.

The fact that he was telling a girl he disliked, that he loved her, made me cringe..

In my opinion, "I love you" isn't something to be tossed around. To me, it means something, and it means a lot...

What does "I love you" mean too you?
Do you do the same as the boy in my class? if so, why?
Do you think it's right for "I love you" to be tossed around?

If you think "the L word" shouldn't be tossed around, why is it in your sig? :) jk

I think that it's hard to find use for "I love you." I'm always doubtful - outside of family, how can you be sure that it will always be true? When I say it it's like I'm making a promise I can't keep.

What does "I love you" mean too you?
Do you do the same as the boy in my class? if so, why?
Do you think it's right for "I love you" to be tossed around?

'I love you', to me, is a statement that contains a future. To tell someone you love them is telling them that you want them to be the only one in your life from now on, that you can see a bright future ahead for both together. It's telling that person that you want to move in with them, possibly marry and have their children. It's telling them that you have eyes for no other.

I would never use the statement 'I love you' in a situaton like that boy. It sounds like he was using it to get something he wanted. I would never do that. not just because it would be incredibly difficult for me to lie like that, but because I believe that words have power and mean more than just something to say at the time. I have told 3 people in the world in my whole life that I love them. the first 2 I had had long relationships with 2 years for one and 3 for the other, and the last is my husband.

I think love is one of the most overused words in the dictionary. It's also very easy to mistake love for other emotions and feelings. I think that people should take love more seriously and give it the respect it deserves, because true love is beautiful.

Reactions: TigersGoRAWR
'I love you', to me, is a statement that contains a future. To tell someone you love them is telling them that you want them to be the only one in your life from now on, that you can see a bright future ahead for both together. It's telling that person that you want to move in with them, possibly marry and have their children. It's telling them that you have eyes for no other.

I would never use the statement 'I love you' in a situaton like that boy. It sounds like he was using it to get something he wanted. I would never do that. not just because it would be incredibly difficult for me to lie like that, but because I believe that words have power and mean more than just something to say at the time. I have told 3 people in the world in my whole life that I love them. the first 2 I had had long relationships with 2 years for one and 3 for the other, and the last is my husband.

I think love is one of the most overused words in the dictionary. It's also very easy to mistake love for other emotions and feelings. I think that people should take love more seriously and give it the respect it deserves, because true love is beautiful.

+1, very well said Galileo.

If you think "the L word" shouldn't be tossed around, why is it in your sig? :) jk

I think that it's hard to find use for "I love you." I'm always doubtful - outside of family, how can you be sure that it will always be true? When I say it it's like I'm making a promise I can't keep.

haha xD

I can understand why you are doubtful. A lot of people these days come across as trustworthy, and then they lie. It's very hard to find someone you trust entirely. I'm sure you will find a trustworthy person. ^_^

The problem is the english language, in many other languages there are different words for different kinds of love.

The problem is the english language, in many other languages there are different words for different kinds of love.

agreed. And everyone wants to learn english....yaaaay.

it doesn't mean shit. people who really care show you how they care without needing to make these ridiculous declarations. people say it when they don't have anything to show you. every time i've heard this it has been bullshit. i don't care if i never hear these words again.

The L word goes hand in hand with emotional giving. You don't need to have extreme intuition or amazing BS radar to know when someone truly means it or not.
i find that a true L word contains a very forceful energy associated with it; even when it is not said but expressed through body language, eye contact and openness. Ironically; people who did not learn to receive and reciprocate love will either never use the L word or abuse the word like crazy.

Reactions: christmas
The L word goes hand in hand with emotional giving. You don't need to have extreme intuition or amazing BS radar to know when someone truly means it or not.
i find that a true L word contains a very forceful energy associated with it; even when it is not said but expressed through body language, eye contact and openness. Ironically; people who did not learn to receive and reciprocate love will either never use the L word or abuse the word like crazy.

this.

i'll say it if i mean it. if you don't accept it, that's your problem. i won't say it if i'm not sure.

this.

i'll say it if i mean it. if you don't accept it, that's your problem. i won't say it if i'm not sure.

Im the same... if I didnt mean it, I wouldnt say it. The guy in my class was basically giving the girl he was texting false hope in a way, and I dont like that at all...

I would have wanted to slap that guy. Not just for being deceptive and tossing around the L word, but because he sounds like an immature jackass anyway.

+1 to what said.

Other than my family, there are two people I say "I love you" to on a daily basis. Usually multiple times every day because they initiate the "I love you" exchange so often with me (both ENFPs, wonder if that could have something to do with it). One is my best friend, and the other is my boyfriend. To an outsider, it might sound like they were tossing around the word because they say it so often, but that's not the case. They do this only with me, not with everyone, and it's not just an empty word; it's a promise.

When we first started dating, my boyfriend almost immediately starting using I-love-yous in a casual way. Like, I might say something really silly to get a rise out of him, and he'd laugh and say "I love you" in a semi-joking way. The "semi" part was what made me slightly uncomfortable. I couldn't tell if this was something he did with all of his friends, or if he meant it in a romantic way but was testing the waters to see if I was ready, or if he didn't take the phrase seriously. I didn't want to mention it, so I let it slide. Then after we'd been dating a few weeks, one day he randomly said, "I've realized I need to apologize for something." He said that he had been saying "I love you" too soon and too much, and he didn't believe it was a phrase that should be taken lightly. I guess he noticed that I never reciprocated it.

Not long after, one day we were kissing and I had a sudden urge to say "I love you," so I did. It had been gnawing at me ever since his apology. I just needed to know that he took it seriously first. His reaction was very emotional and made it clear that he'd been waiting for that moment. :mlove2:

Erm, sorry if this post is really sentimental and gaggy, but I just wanted to demonstrate how "I love you" can be sort of a milestone in a relationship. I don't think I could ever feel secure with someone who didn't take it seriously.

The post wasn't sentimental or gaggy at all ^^. It was very sweet :)
I say I love you to my mum and my boyfriend. ^_^

and I really did want to slap him... but, I refused xD but I agree, he is an immature boy...