Thinking about giving | INFJ Forum

Thinking about giving

He makes a good point. Kinda makes you wonder. If some family members or friends wouldn't want used items or clothes, why would it make sense for a complete stranger to want and accept it? Sounds odd to expect people to be happy with someone's leftovers. It almost implies they don't deserve or are not worth the money that would be used to purchase something new. Buy the new for ourselves but not for them. Yeah, sounds not so nice when you think of it in that light. I think it does make you question the concept of "giving." What does it mean to give in a significant way which is truly considerate and beneficial to others and not just about making ourselves feel good.

He makes a good point. Kinda makes you wonder. If some family members or friends wouldn't want used items or clothes, why would it make sense for a complete stranger to want and accept it? Sounds odd to expect people to be happy with someone's leftovers. It almost implies they don't deserve or are not worth the money that would be used to purchase something new. Buy the new for ourselves but not for them. Yeah, sounds not so nice when you think of it in that light. I think it does make you question the concept of "giving." What does it mean to give in a significant way which is truly considerate and beneficial to others and not just about making ourselves feel good.

Like I said in the other thread, I think that sometimes this involves not giving too.

Although this is just the tip of the ice berg, corporations routinely are able to write off as charity or corporate responsibility work what is effectively dumping of waste on the third world, like short dated medications, tanks of gas or oxygene, equipment containing toxins such as mercury, in fact some of it goes hand in glove with evidence of just how badly a total free market in medicine or pharmaceuticals would actually work.

I can see that from the giving end. It's not entirely nice to give away trash.

However on the receiving end you're often glad to have trash. Because you can either have the ugly, smelly clothes that don't match, or you can freeze to death.