The World Inside....

Cryo Soul

Regular Poster
Apr 19, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Type 8
I have a talent of sorts....I don't know how long I've had it, (as the talent alters my mental state, and memories) or was capable of achieving it but it is called "Dissociation" for all those both familiar and unfamiliar with it's clinical nomenclature that follows this broad term. I have the ability to induce (at will) an ASC or a "Altered State of Consciousness" which is achievable in most people, but not in a conscious/voluntary manner; most people achieve this through "highway hypnosis" or getting lost in thought(passively) or through a book, movie etc.....all I need do, is focus on my desire to "not be there" and I can "go away"; I can alter my experience so as to be protected from the blunt force of a psychic trauma with this horizontal splitting of my consciousness....this helps to get in touch with my own unique highly subjective reality the "I" reality/Paradigm which I use from time to time for creative purposes or to just get a space away from others as dwelling in the Objective Reality or "Collective Paradigm" i.e. the "External Reality" is HIGHLY draining for an introvert like myself. I can also place "another person" in a situation that I feel can cope with the situation better than i can.

It hinders me because it alters my experiencing ego; by dividing your consciousness (which is really all an ASC is) you are only "half" there and the you that if fully conscious in external reality "leaves" or completely turns to the subjective reality to the exclusion of the external one.....in essence it is a "Mass Rejection/Flight" that takes place, to completely dissociate on such a level the existence (or at least the interest or concern with) of the Collective/External reality is lost before me which is enhanced by depersonalization/derealization.

In these moments I'm in my "inner world" and I can faintly hear the sounds of people talking around me. It also hinders my ability to retain/recall information regarding my total life history....the first 11 years of my 22 year old life are gone, or only partially remembered (and that which is remembered is of my being alone, playing video games) but the entirety of my childhood is gone....I remember nothing substantial about my identity or personality development, which leaves me with little to no insight into my development, and personality....I have something akin to "Identity Loss/Disturbance" What bothers me most prevalently is that childhood is so vague to me....I don't know what happened in it, and I cannot summon a collective opinion/judgement about it.....it's as if it "never happened".

No, I was never physically abused, but I was threatened with violence, death, and exposed to a very, VERY frightening home life early on in life, but can't recall the exact happenings....just 'feelings' I get that tell me it wasn't happy, or really worth remembering.

Can anyone else do this? Am I crazy? I'd like to know what this is....I know about ASC's but why can I do this, and am a threat to myself? Some days I'm happy and can get on with my life just fine, with little stress at all, but other days, I see things, or emotions come up in me that make me feel enraged, hurt, dejected, and a wide range of states that have no bearing on the situation usually placed right in front of me....

Can anyone speculate on these odd behaviors?

621.jpg

You're crazy; welcome to the club.

We have T-shirts.

[not for eating]

Barnabas....:m145:....tut tut.... How is a dinosaur riding on a monocle related to the op's question?

I have used that ability in situations where I needed to be "in another place" to avoid unpleasantness.

One time I was riding in a small biplane with a friend where his father was practicing taking off and landing. After doing this a few times I began to get dizzy and felt sick. In an effort to avoid throwing up, I started to imagine I was in symphonic band playing a difficult piece. I could see the band director cuing us and asking for more. I could hear the music being played around me. I could feel my fingers on the metal pads of my flute. I took slow deep breaths and relaxed my body. At the same time - as if in the background - I relaxed into the gentle up and down movement of the plane as the pilot attempted to land and would then abort at the last minute and swoop upwards from the ground.
The dizziness and sick feeling went away

I've done this while sitting in the dentists chair to avoid fear/worry emotions coursing through me AND to drown out the sound of the blankety blank drill. I shudder every time I think of going to the dentist. (much trauma from those visits over my lifetime:eek:hwell:).

I've also used this imagery method in order to let the nurses take blood or insert IV shunts into me for various reasons. I faint at the sight of blood or instruments penetrating my body. (or others for that matter). It's the only way I can get through the medical process.

Is this what you're talking about?

Barnabas....:m145:....tut tut.... How is a dinosaur riding on a monocle related to the op's question?

Truth be told, I was really just looking for an opportunity to use the image. It's the kind of thing I wished I had be able to think in high school for a particularly annoying math test.

It takes some effort, but I can get to an *mostly* completely removed state. Was really good at it in high school... for escaping the boredom and all of the immaturity around me. Back then I'd only thought of these as times of intense daydreaming, though they were often without the "dream" part... just tuning out and finding comfort in that silence. In the past year though, I've picked it up again for stress relief and consider it a kind of meditation. If this has affected my memory at all, I haven't noticed.

I actually apreciated that barnabas lol It was refreshingly humorous!

You're crazy; welcome to the club.

We have T-shirts.
Yep, sign me up, and pass me a Double XL lol FINALLY, A place to BELONG! :m073:
I've also used this imagery method in order to let the nurses take blood or insert IV shunts into me for various reasons. I faint at the sight of blood or instruments penetrating my body. (or others for that matter). It's the only way I can get through the medical process.

Is this what you're talking about?
K-gal, yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about....I suppose the means by which people achieve that state of mind vary, but it's the same thing for conversations sake. When I dissociate, what happens K-gal is there is a sort of, "Amnesia" that follows the event....when I'm in that state of mind, I can observe the situation from the ceiling, and as if it's happening to another person; but when it's over, and I come "to" I can't remember what's happened, what transpired in detail. At times I may remember a detail but then I totally "FORGET" the WHOLE SITUATION....I remembered doing this for my emotional states that are unmanageable, for situations that stress me out, and events/behaviors that I find "unbearable" to live with.....

It takes some effort, but I can get to an *mostly* completely removed state. Was really good at it in high school... for escaping the boredom and all of the immaturity around me. Back then I'd only thought of these as times of intense daydreaming, though they were often without the "dream" part... just tuning out and finding comfort in that silence. In the past year though, I've picked it up again for stress relief and consider it a kind of meditation. If this has affected my memory at all, I haven't noticed.
bbs, I think it has something to do with allowing my subconscious to "believe" what has transpired happens to "another" person....I observed the situation with "ME" being on the ceiling, and the "OTHER" enduring the situation.....I just INTENSELY focus on the reality that suits my rendering of the situation, and stick with that; basically, If I observe the "other" person going through the experience, than it didn't happen to me, and that's how I see it....this minimizes the stress in my life, and somedays, I can go on as if I'm COMPLETELY happy, and "NORMAL" but other days, It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to smile, and not have strong anxiety, and a deep sense of dread/panic......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3zKv-NqSA"]YouTube - ‪Emma Louise - Jungle‬‏[/ame]

One problem I see with us going off into a fantasy in our heads is that our body is still in real time in real life. The body is still receiving data and understands a fearful or loving/safe situation - whether our brain is present or not.

imo, In the end, to obtain true mental health, one must embrace the body's memories, feel those feelings associated with the data, and accept them with unconditional friendliness.

Yoga. Chanting deep resonating syllables like OM. Tapping with meridian work such as EFT. Doing EMDR with a therapist. All of these methods help encourage the memories to come to the surface of our minds.

What do you think?

Some highly-trained people learn to find and go to their "happy place" during times of trauma or extreme pain. Some people just go somewhere else during these times with no training whatsoever. I do not think you are crazy, but think it possible to use the ability you feel you have when it is not necessary. It can lead those around you into thinking you may be delusional. It may be beneficial to you if you could learn to control it somewhat.

I learned of it naturally at the age of 14 during extreme pain. Before I was halfway through the experience, I became calm and stopped fighting; I felt no more pain. However, I remember it like it was with no loss of memory only up to the point I felt no pain. I remember the silence you mentioned, the pain disappearing, and nothing else of the incident. It was almost like it was all over.

I will not speculate, but will offer my understanding and possible validity of what you are
experiencing.I do not know if I would try to control it until I deemed it necessary or not, but know by my very own nature would at least experiment with the act of controlling it. Good luck.

Some highly-trained people learn to find and go to their "happy place" during times of trauma or extreme pain. Some people just go somewhere else during these times with no training whatsoever. I do not think you are crazy, but think it possible to use the ability you feel you have when it is not necessary. It can lead those around you into thinking you may be delusional. It may be beneficial to you if you could learn to control it somewhat.

I learned of it naturally at the age of 14 during extreme pain. Before I was halfway through the experience, I became calm and stopped fighting; I felt no more pain. However, I remember it like it was with no loss of memory only up to the point I felt no pain. I remember the silence you mentioned, the pain disappearing, and nothing else of the incident. It was almost like it was all over.

I will not speculate, but will offer my understanding and possible validity of what you are
experiencing.I do not know if I would try to control it until I deemed it necessary or not, but know by my very own nature would at least experiment with the act of controlling it. Good luck.

It's controllable, being my "back door" for when situations are far to intense for me emotionally/psychologically....So apparently you recall your abusive situations, but never any pain associated with them? It's rather unique that your mind/brain has allowed you some "localized amnesia" surrounding that horrible event.....typically when I dissociate (no matter if the situation ocuring is traumatic or not) I experience amnesia regarding the virtually the ENTIRE experience.....to make matters worse, I believe my dissociative ability goes back to early childhood, because I have blocked out my memories from this time period and honestly, can only recall with hypermnesia (memory recall of extremely detailed quality) the last 4 years of my life with no "skips" or "breaks" in memory....That is what bothers me most....my life is gone, and all I have are the last 4 years of my ENTIRE life that I can use as "proof of my existence"

I did this on a basically permanent basis from around ages 14-22. Needless to say, getting back in touch with my emotions instead of fleeing at the first sign of upset has been difficult.

One thing I will say is that while you may not experience emotion, you still feel it, and your cognition is affected. Ultimately, I think it's healthier to not dissociate at all, if you can.