The Walking Dead Game Typology | INFJ Forum

The Walking Dead Game Typology

drysba

Jun 4, 2013
MBTI
ENFP
Me and my ISTJ sister spent some time thinking about each character from The Walking Dead game. We think we've found pretty conclusive results for the most part. What do you think?

Lee = ESTJ
I know it's hard to determine the personality of a character that YOU control, but regardless, I think this type fits. This type is ordered as Te-Si-Ne-Fi. Regardless of what choices you make as Lee, the overall structure of his actions follow the essence of dominant Te: "In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives."

His inferior Fi is manifested in his occasional ignorance of common values, such as the murder that landed him in prison. While Te-Si is efficient, inferior Fi has a tendency to snap in the face of severe perceived oppression. Similar Minds ranks the ESTJ's ten most common features as: organized, group oriented, focused, conventional, leader, emotionally stable, anal, attention seeking, planner.

Lily = ESFP
Lily uses Fi, and not sparingly. She protects her asshole of a father simply for her family values. But her dominant function is Se, which exists in the moment. Se is very spontaneous and unpredictable (shooting Carly/stealing the van). She notices when things go missing and voices her tertiary Te with the prejudice of her Fi.

Some might say that Lily emits J qualities. If this were true, she would be using primary Fe. Extraverted feeling values "social graces, such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate." Lily clearly explains that she knows her father is an asshole, but that her loyalty is unconditional.

We can look at her shadow processes to explain shooting Carly. Their devil process (the eighth cognitive function, the inferior of the shadow processes) is Ne. "Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone's behavior really means." Carly was incapable of questioning her certainty. In the hours following her father's death, she clearly reverted to her shadow, denying the opposition to what she was certain of.

When Ni is used, "we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us." Unfortunately, as an inferior function to the ESFP, Ni will be used "in its negative aspect of projecting our "shoulds," fears, and negativities onto others." This is the essence of Lily's suspicious and cynical demeanour.

Clementine = INFJ
Clementine quite clearly display Fe, but is still rather quiet and shy. "Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior." As an auxiliary function, this is extremely apparent. Whether she uses Ni or Si demands that we question the impulses of each. "Si more or less preserves and relays information in its original form. Ni acts more synthetically, weaving together disparate information to construct novel theories, visions, and insights."

Ni is gut feeling. I think Clementine had a gut feeling about her parents being dead. When she saw their zombified corpses, she seems to brush it off quite quickly. She had already accepted it. No ISFJ child would have been able to use inferior Se in the presence of their dead parents that they thought were alive. She quickly observed the situation and then dragged Lee's body to safety. Ni is less likely to paralyze with fear than Si.

Also, this Ni drift screams Clementine to me: http://i.imgur.com/xYZ9m.gif. INFJs are warm and understanding of others. Everything about their type matches the lovable charm and warmth of Clem. She's shy, but not distrusting. Outgoing, but reserved. Okay, moving on.

Duck = ExFP
He has obvious child-like Fi. Since tertiary functions are usually distant in childhood, his Te (thinking things through function) is not developed. I would've been quick to say he uses dominant Se, but he displayed a love for mysteries and desire to investigate during the "detective" sequence. He also provided valuable information, which makes me wonder if he's a misunderstood ENFP. Not enough info to say for sure.

Larry = ESTP
Don't let the ESTP cognitive process fool you, this is clearly Larry. Se-Ti-Fe-Ni is their primary order, but Larry's mood was in a state of constant foul and fear, reducing him to the depth of his shadow functions. Their shadow function is the ISTJ: Si-Te-Fi-Ne. He objected to anything that didn't match his desired "order" of how things "should be" with none of the remorse of his tertiary.

At its most sophisticated, Te "is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively." As an auxiliary shadow process, it's likely to be hindered and inefficient. Larry was in a state of distrust except toward his daughter. I know that he was not always this way because there is no chance Lily would be so loyal to a monster this deep into her adulthood. Rather, he launches her into her own state of shadow function-ism.

Katjaa = ESFJ
Good-natured, family-oriented, loving, careful, Katjaa plays the dominant Fe role with impartial depth. In the face of deep sadness, their shadow function is Fi-Se-Ni-Te. Te is her "devilish" process. "The devilish role can be quite negative. Using the process that plays this role, we might become destructive of ourselves or others." This explains her suicide, as Te explicitly "allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives."

Ken = ENFJ
I would've been quick to say ESFJ, but Ken had several intuitive traits. The ENFJ uses Fe-Ni. "Ni is attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined." The scene in the attic where he sees the child's body and draws the melancholic symbolism of his dead son prompts him to regret his lack of closure.

In the list of processes, the 7th function is known as the deceiving role. "The deceiving role fools us into thinking something is important to do or pay attention to." The ENFJ's shadow functions are Fi-Ne-Si-Te. Si is therefore his deceiving role. Si "collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it." The moment in the attic deeply resembled this deceiving role of Si.

In addition, Ken and his ESFJ wife argued quite a bit in the early sequences, revealing the "comparative relations" that fit the ENFJ-ESFJ intertype communication. "Comparative partners look at the same questions from very different angles. One partner feels as if the other is in their opinion trying to solve the same problem in an impractical manner. Moreover, partners are not happy to acknowledge each other's different point of view. This may cause great misunderstandings between partners, especially when applied to methods of working and as a result partners usually try to compromise." I had a gut feeling that the two had many differences.

Molly = ISTP
Molly is a very clear ISTP. Ti-Se-Ni-Fe is a very independent process. Fe "responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others." As an inferior function, this explains Molly's lone venturing and seeming insensitivity. Despite this, Molly never seems to enter the shadow processes, maintain stability in her behavior... except when she goes ham on that zombie of her town's doctor. She quite clearly used her shadow Te in this situation, but luckily it was not a destructive process.

Carly = ESFP
Yes, she is the same type as Lily. She just didn't have a psychopathic father to tend to. Her list of cognitive processes is Se-Fi-Te-Ni. "Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us." A dominant Se correlates with her ability to fire a gun efficiently.

Her insistence that Lee tell the group about his past indicates a strong Fi, suited to the auxiliary position of an ESFP. Te "helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives." Carly reveals this uncannily as a tertiary process. The tertiary is not always necessarily buried and can be as crucial to behavior as the auxiliary. However, the tertiary might lack "completion", or the ability to tie up loose ends. A Te tertiary might realize that a radio is useful and that a broken one needs fixing. They will send others to find the missing piece to what was in fact a misconception. Yes, they might even forget to check the batteries.

Christa - INTP
Might be controversial. She indicates that big groups are a "bad idea" because people can be untrustworthy, revealing her introversion. In addition to this internal logic, she is very *questioning* of things. For example, she questions the relationship between Lee and Clementine due to their lack of resemblance. She appears to be the brains of the duo between herself and Omid. For this, I believe she uses Ti-Ne.

"Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true." As opposed to condemning those she initially distrusts, Ne allows her to explore the possibilities, rightfully gaining the perspective that leads her to trust Lee's group.

The inferior process of the INTP is Fe, which is concerned with the well-being of others. This may not seem to correlate Christa's kindness and protection of Omid and Clementine, but a trusted inferior function can become "our sense of purpose; inspiration and ideals have the qualities of the process that plays this role."

Omid - ENFP
Christa is Omid's supervisor. The INTP/ENFP relationship is described in Socionics as "the impression that the Supervisor is constantly watching every step of the Supervisee."

ENFP uses Ne-Fi-Te-Si. A clear representation of Omid's inferior Si is made in the scene where he has to jump off the train. The ambivalent inferior process is a sign of immaturity, which we might all agree about Omid. The inferior may be experienced "first in its negative aspect of projecting our "shoulds," fears, and negativities onto others." Omar's hesitation to jump matches his inferior Si. Introverted sensing is "the ability to link present experiences to past experiences in search for a connection." When no connection is made, uncertainty commands fear. But Omid jumped anyway, obeying his tertiary Te.

In general, ENFPs are renowned for their humor and optimism. Christa mentions that he loves the civil war, which fits the spontaneity and unexpected interests that Ne-Fi users carry.

Ben = ISFJ
I think OddlyDevelopedTypes explains this one quite well in its survival page:
"Not that all of the ISFJ's caches will consist of practical things like food, clothing, and explosives. In the dead of night, many an ISFJ will scurry twenty paces north from the old oak tree, then thirty paces east where there is a boulder. Pushing it away, they will hurriedly add a pair of earrings, a necklace, and a gold watch to their dully gleaming pile of treasure. Unbeknownst to all, ISFJs are one of the wealthiest types left alive on the surface."

In other words, let's enjoy their individuality instead of taunting their inability to do anything...

Doug = INTP
Doug is a quiet technical geek. He expresses discontent to Lee for saving him over Carly. But he is a thinker, using a red beam of light to capture Lee's attention at the cannibal farm. He sacrifices his life to save Ben when Lily shoots at him.

His introversion and technical mastery provide the hunch that he uses Ti-Ne-Si-Fe. His few acts of social interaction are noteworthy to his estranged personality.

When he expressed his sadness for Carly's death, it revealed the INTP feelings of meaninglessness toward existence without an Fe of some kind to live for. He had admitted romantic interest in Carly, capably taking his will to live in a world where he can never play Minecraft again.

http://typingcharacters.blogspot.com/
My MBTI fictional characters blog... started today.

Last edited:
This is so interesting! I love this game but never thought to do this. I whole heartedly agree with the Clementine one. [: I'd have to do more research on the others. This is great though! :D

This is so interesting! I love this game but never thought to do this. I whole heartedly agree with the Clementine one. [: I'd have to do more research on the others. This is great though! :D

Thank you :)

My sister and I took a long time on each character, making sure we got it perfectly. She used her insanely detailed Si to remember specifics about the game while I connected them to the cognitive processes. In other words, if there's any confusion/disagreement, I can specify my reasons for each choice.

Ah! I hadn't realized you updated this! You guys really went all out! This is really, really awesome, dude. Huge props. [: