The Value of Humans vs. Non-Human Beings | INFJ Forum

The Value of Humans vs. Non-Human Beings

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
The story of the bear in the other thread made me ponder of the value of humans versus other beings that are not human such as animals, plants or other sentient beings.

Why are we so self-important that whenever an insect or animal is a perceived threat we demand for their annihilation, but if we kill other animals or insects for sport or food we don't think the same way?

Why are we so more important than them? It has been us who have been the solely responsible for so many catastrophes in the world, for so much destruction on our ecosystem, making this place uninhabitable for us and other species. How can we call ourselves more important? What attributes of our kind divides the threshold of being deserved of so much importance in contrast to other species, if any?

I'm not angry, disappointed or being judgmental because I'm a part of this specie as everyone else. I'm just curious as to the psychology behind our actions and thoughts in regards to this. We are animals after all, we make illogical assumptions, but apparently we have been granted the gift of introspection and analysis (something that other beings can't do...yet), as so, I think we have the responsibility to determine the casual relationships of our actions, and provide a more peaceful and intelligent approach as to how we treat everything on this planet.

Reactions: Kmal
i think in general it's because animals and insects arent capable of feeling or thought, or at least in the traditional human sense. humans are of so much more value than animals-- think of your mother, your girlfriend, then think of a grasshopper, or toad. if only in the egotistical sense of their value being what you can obtain from them.

Most species would be inclined to look out for fellow members first, humans just so happen to have more successful means to overpower other species.

Personally, I don't think humans are more valuable. More influential yes, their value, being that that's largely an affective judgement is arguable, especially considering that every part in a given ecosystem no matter how insignificant it seems is crucial for its proper functioning.

especially considering that every part in a given ecosystem no matter how insignificant it seems is crucial for its proper functioning.

What function do humans really have towards the ecosystem? What do we contribute to it?

What function do humans really have towards the ecosystem? What do we contribute to it?

Manure? :D

I don't know. Humans are the top of the food chain now. Other species living in the wild don't *seem* to depend on anything we'd be doing, other than some efforts at cleaning up our own messes. Well, technically, I'm sure the decomposed organic matter is good for the soil and it's inhabitants regardless regardless of whether it's human or non-human. We do have some uses for the ecosystem, but speaking of it at large, and assuming our ecological messes would also be gone, I think the Earth would still be green, blue and merrily rotating without us.

Survival is egocentric and vicarious, our behavior (at large) reflects this. Give children power and they will abuse it.

I'm not sure if we have a pre-set ecological niche -- at times, I think humans are freaks of nature never meant to exist but that is, of course, my opinion.

Even that is questionable. Have you seen the food most people eat? I'm pretty sure whatever insect is exposed to our waste would ever think it is nutritious.

Even that is questionable. Have you seen the food most people eat? I'm pretty sure whatever insect is exposed to our waste would ever think it is nutritious.

If I was a fly, I would most assuredly demand cleaner poop.

Reactions: Phage
If I was a fly, I would most assuredly demand cleaner poop.

We should really be grateful of flies, then, at least they're not suing us for that:D

The goal of every species is to preserve and continue itself best it can.

Uh, well, I've been around a few country side outdoor toilets with open septic tanks...and the flies aren't picky about that, really.

Speaking of manure...gah, they really do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanure#.22Humanure.22

Why are we so self-important that whenever an insect or animal is a perceived threat we demand for their annihilation, but if we kill other animals or insects for sport or food we don't think the same way?

Why are we so more important than them?

Why? Because God said so. That's why. Then greed/power set in and it's been hell ever since.:eek:hwell:

...it sucks in my opinion...Every time I read about another species on the brink/or going extinct - I cry.
We have no more rights than they to live in cooperation on this planet.
Sigh... sorry for the rant.

Some life forms are more valuable (non-utilitarian sense) than others.

What makes our planet better/more valuable than the other planets in the solar system? It has life. If it came down to this planet, or another having to be destroyed, and we had the means, we would keep this one.

What then makes one form of life more valuable than another? Some life forms have things that others don't. A plant can grow, reproduce fixate energy.. but an animal can do all these things, but in addition, an animal has sensate perception - so if an animal were in need, a plant should always be sacrificed as fodder. Finally some animals - or to our knowledge, only one animal has intelligence - us - and if it comes down to choosing between brute animals and intelligent animals - then the intelligent are worth more.

So what if the Earth has life?
Mars may have something ever better that we humans can't see/hear/understand because we're only humans and not super amazing superior being like so many people think.

Humans are not better than ants, plants or even oxygen. We're all worthless :)

Mars may have something ever better that we humans can't see/hear/understand because we're only humans and not super amazing superior being like so many people think.

As for Mars - we can only make decisions on what we know to exist, not what we imagine might exist.

As for the notion that diverse things are of equal value - this can only be true in limited respects, but not in every respect, because almost any diversity among things can be assessed according to some criteria whereby value is estimated.

better for what? existing? we're surely better than them for improving our own existence.

^ I second above question

As for Mars - we can only make decisions on what we know to exist, not what we imagine might exist.

Life is most likely not the only awesome thing happening on planets, with the number of planets and stars and everything there are there can't be only life. Making decisions on what could exist is not less important.

What do you mean? Improve in what way?
ants have gone from ants to.. ants. we've gone from caveman to quantum physicists. humans collect information and use it in a way that is different than other 'animals;' and we're continuing to evolve. ants are just, ants.

ants have gone from ants to.. ants. we've gone from caveman to quantum physicists. humans collect information and use it in a way that is different than other 'animals;' and we're continuing to evolve. ants are just, ants.

You're also forgetting that we've gone from rocks and clubs to atomic bombs, from farming and gathering to exploitation of natural resources, from Bethoven to Justin Bieber.

Not everyone is evolving, I'll tell you that.