The Underpinnings of Introverted Intuition by Dominant Users (INTJs v. INFJs) | INFJ Forum

The Underpinnings of Introverted Intuition by Dominant Users (INTJs v. INFJs)

Vigilance

Banned
Jan 16, 2017
Texas
MBTI
XXXX
it is well-known that both INTJs and INFJs use NI as a dominant function to perceive information rather than concluding to form judgements right off the bat. Yet, both types belong to a different 'subset' in a way. The INTJ being a 'rational' and the INFJ being an 'idealist.'

1. I would like to understand the differences, in your opinion/observations/facts, between the INTJ's NI and the INFJ's NI if there are any differences. Also, what similarities have you known?

2. Similarly, I seek to understand what INFJs think of INTJs, using the same dominant function. In other words, do you think INTJs reach the same conclusions as you, is the INTJ's NI completely off, does it annoy you, are you amazed by it, etc.?

I am intrigued by thIs concept because NI is such a rare function and the two types using it belong to a different subset. However, this is common. For example, the INTP and ISTP also belong to a different subset. Yet, the ESTP and ESFP belong to the same subset.

Living with my intj gf for almost the past ten years, I've learned a lot about the subtleties in our differences as well as how very similar our minds can be.

I think whether each gets along or not is individually based, but if both people can have respect for their differences and also support the difference then there's a lot that can be learned from one another.

It's easy to communicate ideas because the method of ideation is essentially the same. The key difference being the base. The infj base of an idea is often grounded in utilitarianism whereas the intj base is often grounded in efficiency. If you can cooperate and come to a middle ground then as far as ideation goes, the sky is the limit for intj-infj. The weak point is implementation, but intj has an edge here again regarding efficiency and infjs are capable of implementing in a way that sees the most people benefitting positively.

If an intj or infj can appreciate the overlap of these differences then they will be more appreciative of their Ni companion. If they are rigid and set in their idea of efficiency/effectiveness or utilitarianism/harmonization then they will not cooperate well.

@Wyote

This is good insight. It's pretty fascinating that INFJs are not the only dominant NI users, huh?

Yet, it seems clear the conflicts arise from TI/TE and FI/FE. But, nothing a good solid middle ground can't fix huh?

Indeed @Vigilance

Also something else I just remembered about Fe and Te. This is really where each can be perplexed by the other. As long as it is viewed respectfully as a difference, no more or less "correct" than the other, then conflict can be avoided.

You have to give the other some breathing room to use these in the way that works for them and not be too critical. If they are each allowed to shine, they will be used properly and to great ends.

We often teach each other the opposite sides of the same coin. And when debating we often have the same conclusions but explain them in different terms. Sometimes an infj approaches a topic too idealistically and sometimes an intj approaches a topic too pragmatically. They both typically seek solutions that are as honest and beneficial as possible.

A lot of the time both types can be set in their ways though. You can't debate an intj regarding something they know as fact, and you can't sway an infjs heart if it's focused on something. Seriously. Don't even try. You'll just embarrass yourself. Or die maybe.

@Maikl Jexocuha I like what I wrote here, thanks for reminding me
Also Vigilance was a total dickwad, I hope he's better now