The typology in divergent | INFJ Forum

The typology in divergent

• An upgrade is pending. The forum is only accessible in debug mode.
    Complete upgrade

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
I was interested in the movie divergent because it depicted a society based upon a kind of typology, which would in some senses I suppose prove superior to our own society's allocation of roles and responsibilities, however, it did, and I suppose this is because of the genre and target audience, take the cliched idea of non-conformity to any type, something I got a bit tired of myself as a thinking norm when I left behind my teens, as it ultimate ideal.

http://blibretti.com/divergent-jungian-personality-types-and-the-myers-briggs-type-indicator/

I found a link which speculates about the type and the various factions, I felt the factions were determined more by profession than pesonality and conflating MBTI and the choosen typology of divergent is pretty problematic (although it is sociobiology in the movie/book/story isnt it?). What do you think of this comparison? And what do you think of the depiction of a typology in divergent or typology as a governing principle in a social order?

What do you think of this comparison? And what do you think of the depiction of a typology in divergent or typology as a governing principle in a social order?

The faction takes it to the extreme sides of being very honest, very selfless, very courageous, and very logical and very peaceful.. and with that extreme power come extreme weakness with the opposing function as it is seen in book/movie. The very peaceful (Amity) but very passive, the very selfless (Abnegation) is very stifling, the brave (dauntless) is very cruel, the very honest (candor) is very inconsiderate and the very intelligent (erudite) is very vain.
As in the third book, Allegiant, which I am currently reading (trying to finish:m093:, I've been occupied by other interests), Where it was explained that centuries ago the government became interested in enforcing certain desirable behaviors in its citizens... That there had been studies that indicated that violent tendencies could be partially traced to a person's genes..yadda yadda.. So basically they did genetic manipulation to edit out fear, cowardice, dishonesty, low intelligence, all those (As one would know if they've read or are reading the third book, but I think it's good to mention).. in aims of an advantage for the future. And so basically they saw that they made it worse, "Take away someone's fear, or low intelligence... and you take away their compassion."

I think this comparison is interesting but not too relative in the sense that one represents ones natural inclinations on how to go about things and motivations, while the other is caused by a manipulation of the genes and is to the extreme. However, I should say, I think this extreme case is not impossible. There is such as neurosis, when the type is unhealthy, for instance, overdeveloping the primary function and suppressing all other functions can lead to an unhealthy psyche that can almost be like one of the factions in divergent~ It is possible for someone to be very honest and very inconsiderate. Though, I would imagine they would be very unhappy as this can cause difficulties in relationships and encounter complication as simple as interaction with others.

So.. what do I think about the depiction, like I said, very interesting and to the extreme. As a governing principle? I don't know, I guess it would be nice as a temporary social order, to be able to relate to others and help each other grow their similar functions, and then when they are developed and have a healthy sense of identity, I think it would be great to be free and mingle with the thinkers, the doers, the dreamers, the idealists, the compassionate..

I don't know about the article.. It labelled the Abnegation as extroversion and I'm not entirely convinced. The crucial part in typing one is not from what they are doing but what motivates them to do things. It could be extroversion, but it has a possibility of introversion as well.. they don't really surrender to social norm, they are not like the dauntless. They are self-preserving and does not like baiting for attention. They lean more on the defense than the attack. They focus more of what others needs than what they 'like', the article said the abnegation would have dom Fe, which I don't believe so, because if they do, they would focus more on others 'likes' than others 'needs'.

Last edited: