The Tree of Life

bickelz

BOINK
Jan 1, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w5
Just got done watching it. It's an absolutely gorgeous film and I'd invite people to watch it. I think that a lot of people on this forum would enjoy it even though it's fairly long and there's virtually no dialogue (think 2001 A Space Oddessy).

Has anyone else seen it?

My mom got it from netflix recently. We have not watched it yet, but that could change soon. I believe that the dvd is on our dining room table at this moment.

My mom got it from netflix recently. We have not watched it yet, but that could change soon. I believe that the dvd is on our dining room table at this moment.

You should do that. It's an investment though time-wise.

Yes, I've seen it twice. Very thought provoking.

I think it could have done without the cgi dinosaurs.

I'm hurt I wasn't invited!!

Really; I think I may watch this in my next few days
of free time. Thank you for the suggestion.

The Tree of Life had the most profound affect on me. I went to see it in a little tiny theatre with my boyfriend for three dollars each.

First of all, I cried through basically the whole thing. The pain the mother feels in the beginning, the shots of outer space with the opera music, the moment of grace between the dying dinosaur and the scavenger....everything. I found myself connecting very viscerally to so many aspects of the story. I'm very young, only 18, but I've always been ahead of my years mentally and physically. Watching the mother have her first child, Brad Pitt studying the little foot of the child; it made my biological alarms go off like sirens. Watching it, I could completely understand the desire to be a parent and the fascination one must have and the changes one must go through upon having a child. Also, when the oldest goes into that house and runs his fingers along the woman's lacy garments. I understood exactly what was going through his head. The interest in sex. The lack of understanding that goes along with that new interest.

When I left the theatre, I couldn't speak. We started walking out and the ticket man said, "How was it?" I couldn't reply. I just started crying and I ran into the bathroom. I didn't know why I was crying. It was just so beautiful.

And I don't really cry easily. I just had nothing to say. I was overwhelmed.

seems everyone here loved it :O
thing is i tried to watch it as well and hell, i would have, if it weren't for the filming/editing they used which annoyed me by trying to be so pretentious groundbreaking modern and flipping things in my face like that; for some reason i got distracted by these technicalities or i was too familiar with the subject and gave up on the film in the first quarter
:shrug:

The Tree of Life had the most profound affect on me. I went to see it in a little tiny theatre with my boyfriend for three dollars each.

First of all, I cried through basically the whole thing. The pain the mother feels in the beginning, the shots of outer space with the opera music, the moment of grace between the dying dinosaur and the scavenger....everything. I found myself connecting very viscerally to so many aspects of the story. I'm very young, only 18, but I've always been ahead of my years mentally and physically. Watching the mother have her first child, Brad Pitt studying the little foot of the child; it made my biological alarms go off like sirens. Watching it, I could completely understand the desire to be a parent and the fascination one must have and the changes one must go through upon having a child. Also, when the oldest goes into that house and runs his fingers along the woman's lacy garments. I understood exactly what was going through his head. The interest in sex. The lack of understanding that goes along with that new interest.

When I left the theatre, I couldn't speak. We started walking out and the ticket man said, "How was it?" I couldn't reply. I just started crying and I ran into the bathroom. I didn't know why I was crying. It was just so beautiful.

And I don't really cry easily. I just had nothing to say. I was overwhelmed.

That was a beautiful review. :) I think the mother represented grace and the father represented nature.

Saw it months ago, soon after Cannes. I was very impressed with the cinematography and Jessica Chastain's performance.