The Taliban is S**t | INFJ Forum

The Taliban is S**t

Should the United States finally leave Afghanistan?

• Yes, it's been 20 years.

• No, the United States has a duty to stay.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pin

"Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart
Jun 26, 2017
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4, 3-8-7
What a shit-show.

The Taliban has effectively taken Afghanistan. The United States is pulling out of the country and a variety of opinions exist about the situation. Some believe that American presence should remain in Afghanistan. Other believe that the United States should leave. At some point, I believe that much bloodshed will occur when the United States finally leaves.

The United States spent 90 billion dollars to train the Afghanistan military. There is no will to fight against the Taliban unfortunately.

The government imposed by the United States has no allies.

The Taliban is going to seize the weapons that the United States has left in the country.

My Opinion: the United States has nothing to show for all of this.

I mean, this happens all the time when the U.S. pulls out of other soil too, we leave a vacuum for the bad guys to return. But not to the magnitude we are seeing in Afghanistan. The Taliban just made a mockery out of all those tax dollars that could have been put to use in America to build infrastructure in preparation for the climate changes and sea level increases. Of all the planets and molecules in the universe, I had to come to existence as a human here amongst the shit species. The species that kills one another for entertainment and profits.
But are the Afghanis partly to blame? That’s like say the American racist taking over my town and the Canadian Army has to come to save us from the racist trying to get us to follow Confederate laws. So we are freed from the American racist, but we have to understand that we have won only because of the Canadians. So why wouldn’t we secretly be meeting to have a plan in case the Canadians leave us? I mean, whatever plan was made obviously was absolute shit.

Reactions: Kgal and Pin
I remember at the time, it felt like the invasion happened so fast. It was a notable part of my childhood.

This has been going on since 1979.

Edit: Well, US involvement began in the early 1930s, but I am still going to say 1979.

This has been going on since 1979.
I wonder what Biden gets out of pulling troops out. If he's not going to pass student loan debt relief or universal healthcare, I think it's an easy way to get the approval rating to go up in time for the midterm elections.

I wonder what Biden gets out of pulling troops out. If he's not going to pass student loan debt relief or universal healthcare, I think it's an easy way to get the approval rating to go up in time for the midterm elections.

I don't know. Watching people scrambling to get out, clinging to and falling from planes, and watching the interviews with Taliban leaders makes me think this could harm his reputation, too.

I think the US should have left Afghanistan. But what a botched way to do it. Should have evacuated the embassy first, taken care to issue visas to interpreters and those working with US forces and gotten them out if that's what they requested. It's a shame the Afghani people didn't fight as they had been trained for nearly 2 decades to defend themselves.

Last edited:
But like I said back in the early 2000’s, we are making a mistake of going into a place where the religion is the law. A place where the religious extremists have more power than the regular religious people. All over a God that still has them living in the third world despite all the wealth of some Arab nations. It’s amazing how they seem to follow the same God but don’t bail each other out. If Muslim nations are against Sharia Law, how come they didn’t send their people to fight the extreme versions of their own religion?
The Taliban were not going to be defeated once and for all by Christians. That was the biggest mistake. The Muslim nations must come together and fight Islamic extremism. If they truly give a flying fuck about their religion being used as a tool for control. They need to teach that Allah is not going to punish them if their neighbor is having gay sex. It’s your own salvation or virgin paradise and the sins of others cannot affect your divine destiny.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I was on the path to joining the British Army. I'd completed both officer selection and regimental selection for the Parachute Regiment, and it was just a matter of doing a degree in the meantime.

At the time, we were heavily deployed in Afghanistan, and had suffered the heaviest fighting since the Korean War, especially the Paras in 2006. My brother was also back and forth between Afghanistan, Iraq, and various other bases (as a contractor; a joiner building NAAFIs) - he was getting mortared with the Ghurkas in Afghanistan.

My personal thoughts on the matter were that, whatever the pretext - with all it's neocon intent - the deposition of the Taliban was an undoubted good. Girls were going to school, &c. I was determined to fight for that - it was a thing I thought about a lot, and had to defend from people who would've rather not seen me go.

I think it's all well and good to decry military adventurism, and imagine that the situation would've been 'better' without the war, but personally I think that something has changed irrevocably. The Taliban, for whatever its worth, are making assurances and declarations that a free press will be maintained, girls will still be able to attend school, and women will not need chaperones, &c. Whether they will hold to these declarations or not does not change the fact that they felt the need to make them in the first place. They felt the need to make them because cultural expectations have changed; because people do not want to go back.

The West is abandoning the Afghan people to extremist militants for domestic political gain. This is a moment of shame, but it does not mean that some good was not done on the ground, by earnest and sincere aid workers, officials, and soldiers.

We must be sure now that every refugee that comes out of that country is to a large degree our responsibility.

He inherited a really fucked up deal that Trump brokered with the terrorists, so that's nice.

I feel it was a waste of resources, though everything is always clearer in hindsight.
That being said. It's not the easiest thing in the world to convince people to change by shooting at them.
There's many ways the US could've handled it. Military intervention can work, but not if it's half-hearted.

Reactions: HJpAjcdO0X and Pin
I feel it was a waste of resources, though everything is always clearer in hindsight.
That being said. It's not the easiest thing in the world to convince people to change by shooting at them.
There's many ways the US could've handled it. Military intervention can work, but not if it's half-hearted.
You're not wrong but the last two sentences sounded pretty Neoconservative. :laughing:

Still, you're not wrong that we had no clear end-game in Afghanistan.

Reactions: dZpADTLrPmX4c