The source of integrity | INFJ Forum

The source of integrity

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
What causes someone to be a person of integrity? Is integrity a quality that can be taught? Is it a quality that must be taught?

Is it an over-estimation to say that the lack of integrity is one of the singlemost causes of the greed, corruption, and violence in our world?
*By violence, I mean not only physical violence but also emotional, verbal, sexual assault as well as the global violences of racism, sexism, poverty, etc.

What causes someone to be a person of integrity?
- They are consistent in their actions, in reflecting their core values or beliefs in their actions. They can be trusted or depended on to fulfill their promises or responsibilities because they hold themselves responsible for fulfilling those duties or responsibilities, not simply because someone wants them to.

Is integrity a quality that can be taught?
- Yes. Actually, it must be taught or else it will seem pretty easy to follow the world's suggestion that people do whatever feels good to them without any ethical responsibility. IF there is no integrity, then anything goes. There are no rules.

Is it a quality that must be taught?
- See above

Mental maturity, or self-awareness probably has something to do with it. Or maybe a strong sense of reasoning and understanding. Some people only live to satisfy needs and will do anything to do so. Those who understand their needs but are aware of how their actions affect others... Heck, even empathy might play a part in it. This empathy can derive from personal experience.

As an example, a child learns to stop picking on someone because he had experienced being picked on himself and though "this is what I've been doing?" They cease to bully from then on.

define integrity

To me integrity is understanding and accepting that the things you do in this world are a reflection of the person you have chosen to be. It isn't about right or wrong IMO but being the kind of person that makes conscious choices.

Now honor is accepting responsibility for the choices you make.

You can have integrity but no honor or honor but no integrity.

However, most people I meet don't make an effort to make conscious choices so they have no integrity--especially in our "victim mentality" culture.

What causes someone to be a person of integrity? Is integrity a quality that can be taught? Is it a quality that must be taught?

Is it an over-estimation to say that the lack of integrity is one of the singlemost causes of the greed, corruption, and violence in our world?
*By violence, I mean not only physical violence but also emotional, verbal, sexual assault as well as the global violences of racism, sexism, poverty, etc.

Basically i think integrity is having self awareness, taking full responsibilty for one's life, actions, consequences and effect on others and the environment. This requires self love, crticial thinking, understanding cause and effect, and honesty. Being able to get past your fears and actually look at yourself.

I dont think its an overestimation to suggest that lack of integrity is the cause of much crapness in our world. Lack of self awareness, laziness, ignorance, and not being able to face fear seems to at the heart of not having integrity.

I think it is a quality some have naturally, something that can be environmental and also can be taught. It starts from self awareness and critical thinking. Teaching people to be aware and pay attention. Think of all the clothes and shoes you are wearing now, where did they come from, how were they made? What food are you eating? Where is it from? What effect does it have on your body? How do you treat people? Who are the people in your life? What are you values and why do you have them? Where is the energy coming from that powers your house and car? How are you feeling and why? These questions sound so simple but they are deceptively difficult to answer as most of us are completely ignorant of who we are and what we do. The more awareness we have, the harder it becomes to remain irresponsible. It comes down to our cultural and societal values. We live in a society where people feel powerless, take no responisblity for their actions, cant see how they effect others, dont understand where any of the things they consume come from, are frightened of everything and block their feelings with drugs and consumerism. So many think that life is simply something thats happening to them, they never ask why and consider that they are creating their own reality. Having responsibility, choice and freedom is too frigtening for most. Much easier to stay in the matrix. They would prefer to numb or ignore problems rather than treating the root of the problem.

I don't know. I think that an important precursor to integrity is thoughtfulness; it's not possible to know whether or not your actions are in line with each other unless you reflect on them. It's a good question.

We live in a society where people feel powerless, take no responisblity for their actions, cant see how they effect others, dont understand where any of the things they consume come from, are frightened of everything and block their feelings with drugs and consumerism. So many think that life is simply something thats happening to them, they never ask why and consider that they are creating their own reality. Having responsibility, choice and freedom is too frigtening for most. Much easier to stay in the matrix. They would prefer to numb or ignore problems rather than treating the root of the problem.
I read this book by Durkheim about a year ago which talks about this a little bit. Here's a summary on wikipedia.

I remember something one of my high school teachers once said: "Integrity is hard to define. It means someone who acts with both honesty and honour, but it's not quite either."

That definition may have stuck with me, because I've often conceived of acting with integrity as someone who is honest with themselves and others, who doesn't act in corrupt ways, who doesn't take advantage of others, and who abides by honourable ways of acting simply because they believe in doing so rather than for reward.

Someone else also defined it as an individual who walks their talk. Someone who doesn't b.s. but whose words you can trust and whose actions are a reliable reflection of their values (especially when those values are rooted in maturity and consciousness for oneself and others). You know they mean what they say, and that you can trust them because they're motivated by something of "higher virtue". I believe it relates to character and maturity. It also reflects strength. When the world threatens to kick you in the behind and you act with integrity nonetheless, that's strength. : )

Now when I read the word "integrity" I see the word "integrated". Now I conflate the two where before I saw something entirely different. When I read a lot of what is stated in this thread the goose flesh takes hold.

I see the supremacy of will and the subjugation of instinct.

Those with integrity know themselves in a way which makes their dark side as trustworthy as their light side.

Perhaps...

Unabated candid truth before the slightest sliver of self acceptance, and the courage and will to do good regardless.

And I'll just leave that scary, soul-crushing possibility right here in the open...

For me integrity is being internally consistent with ones-self and ones moral code.