The Role of Introversion in Early Man and Beyond | INFJ Forum

The Role of Introversion in Early Man and Beyond

Siimplicity

Catch sight
Jul 21, 2015
Swamplandia
MBTI
INFJ
I was considering introversion in early man, trying to understand its societal role in the small family group scenario which was vital for our initial survival..

after a couple of searches, I found an INTJ group discussing this question here http://intjforum.com/archive/index.php/t-12661.html

one of the posters said:
"The advantage of an introvert in a tribe or social creature's setting is that of observation and close attention. Extraverts keep a tribe or pack together, but Introverts give it value.
We're also much more likely to follow an observation far longer than an Extravert. We are the ones who figure things out by observing rather than interacting, which gives us the opportunity to learn at reduced risk."

fascinating..

I wonder...
what other benefits could be attributed to introversion?
What caused its initial development in humanity?
why were introverts needed and how did they make us successful?

-agree with the idea that introspection provides insight and perspective. But I think what each offers of course differs depending on whether introversion is peered with N or S, and T or F, and P or J. They will each offer different strengths.

What caused its initial development in humanity?
-New exposure to an unknown environment required immediate sensory recognition and response (E) while also needing to understand what and how this world should be understood from observation as we learn more about it (I).

why were introverts needed and how did they make us successful?
-They taught us the importance of listening and quiet.

"We are the ones who figure things out by observing rather than interacting, which gives us the opportunity to learn at reduced risk."

I often find myself the one who sees what is really happening because i am always observing and thinking of the consequences.
It amuses me watching other people, they are often thinking very poorly.

perhaps the development of introversion was integral to deepening our cultural experiences as well

There are introverts who swear they are getting the short end of the stick in society. Others tout their strengths and the idea we're equal because of them, however this doesn't elevate the low power we have in society.

There are introverts who swear they are getting the short end of the stick in society. Others tout their strengths and the idea we're equal because of them, however this doesn't elevate the low power we have in society.

this makes sense.. but perhaps it's not a low power, but more of a subliminal development. the structure behind the thunder? that which weaves the meaning?

this makes sense.. but perhaps it's not a low power, but more of a subliminal development. the structure behind the thunder? that which weaves the meaning?

I think what I meant to say is that we don't have much social power, which - in my opinion - is one of the more valuable attributes one can have when considering a person's well-being.

I was talking with an extroverted co-worker about early human development and I was joking that if I existed in hunter-gatherer times, being such a dork as I am, I would probably have starved or gotten kicked out of the clan for being utterly useless and pointless. she replied that supportive or introverted personalities have a sense of "winningness" that is a prized characteristic that she felt would have been protected. She said, "the whole group would hunt for you". (AW! lol)

I was considering introversion in early man, trying to understand its societal role in the small family group scenario which was vital for our initial survival..

after a couple of searches, I found an INTJ group discussing this question here http://intjforum.com/archive/index.php/t-12661.html

one of the posters said:
"The advantage of an introvert in a tribe or social creature's setting is that of observation and close attention. Extraverts keep a tribe or pack together, but Introverts give it value.
We're also much more likely to follow an observation far longer than an Extravert. We are the ones who figure things out by observing rather than interacting, which gives us the opportunity to learn at reduced risk."

I think the poster you quoted had it dead on.
The following questions I answer without having done research on it and are pure presumption based on generalisations on my part. that is not to say some qualities aren't found in one or the other.

- More cautious when encountering new things/people
- More inclined to maul things over in their heads with concentrated taught.
- More self-sufficient/less dependent on teamwork

What caused its initial development in humanity? why were introverts needed and how did they make us successful?

I think the need for diversity stems for a need of different survival strategies. As humans it is our diversity that makes us such a resilient species.
Humans are a highly controversial species we fight and grow stronger, we work together against adversary yet are able to go our own ways when that is more advantageous.
Introverts tend to be successful because they're less inclined to follow the pack blindly, and less willing to trust solely on their survival by working as a pack, they will always be looking to feel secure and able to care for themselves and this practice can influence other people in a group because they see the wisdom of setting up lifelines for oneself which increases the survival rate of the whole group and makes introverts a valuable contribution to the team.

Last edited:
The way value is used in the OP is silly.